User Tag List

Thread: Prima Donnas

Default Prima Donnas

Hello-

I'm an INTJ and have recently taken over management of a team that I'm -guessing- is also mostly INTJ's as well. I believe they need some major soft-skills coaching and I'd love some feedback from everyone on what if anything may help.

The team is generally extremely competent and experts in their particular area, but this has led to the development of a prima-donna attitude amongst several of them. They feel many of their colleages are incompetent and don't really 'get it'. Their colleagues are generally competent and shouldn't have to be treated like second-class citizens.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking some 360 degree feedback from many of their peers would be a good way to start.

Thanks, -John

Pre-Madonnas?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    intP

Calmly point out that assholism is counterproductive and generally suboptimal.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Pre-Madonnas?
    Nope. Prima Donna.

Prima donna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by muirhejs View Post
    Hello-

I'm an INTJ and have recently taken over management of a team that I'm -guessing- is also mostly INTJ's as well. I believe they need some major soft-skills coaching and I'd love some feedback from everyone on what if anything may help.

The team is generally extremely competent and experts in their particular area, but this has led to the development of a prima-donna attitude amongst several of them. They feel many of their colleages are incompetent and don't really 'get it'. Their colleagues are generally competent and shouldn't have to be treated like second-class citizens.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking some 360 degree feedback from many of their peers would be a good way to start.

Thanks, -John
    In this case, if I'm you, I'm just simply going to lead by example. I'm going to treat everyone with the same respect, whether it's the INTJ's under you or their colleagues. Those working for you will see and experience your respect for the others and that will go much further than just saying, "You guys should respect them more." You'll have opportunities to talk about it as well, though. When they see you treating the others with respect, they might make remarks after the colleage leaves like, "Why are you kissing his butt?" Or, "That guy is so lame!" Or, "He is so incompetent!", etc, etc. (x 1 million). Those are the moments when you explain your own approach and the fact that you are all on the same team, ultimately working toward one goal and so there's no need to disrespect anyone. And that, if they are going to interact with their colleagues at all, the right thing to do would be the opposite of what they're currently doing - it helps everyone if they encourage the colleagues and their competency and their growth. To share some of their knowledge with them from time to time, etc.

Don't pound it down their throat. Just lead by example and whenever they make comments (be patient and wait - it will happen), then the door is wide open for you to throw down the gauntlet.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

That was a reference to the thread about words that are often substituted in the wrong places. She knows the difference.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Oh, I see. I once thought it was Pre-Madonna myself (when I was a young lad) and someone showed me otherwise, so I was just clearing it up.

And yeah, that is one of those phrases that can easily sound like something else.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to be patient and lead by example. Unfortunately all of them will be working in a different state than where I am, which makes doing so a bit tough!

- John

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

INTJs working together? Yikes.

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by suttree View Post
    Calmly point out that assholism is counterproductive and generally suboptimal.
    All my time on TypologyCentral.com has been leading up to reading this one sentence. FANTASTIC. And so true.

ENFP with kick*ss Te | 7w8 so | ♀