• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other] What are your favorite & least favorite topics of discussion (in forum and irl)?

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Favorite topics of discussion:

Capitalism and economy (finance)
latest technology trends
future and politics of my country
ideas
science and technology
astrophysics
modern chinese history

Least favorite topics of discussion:

What someone did today
gossip
things i can't understand
(generally stuff in sensor conversation)
(There should be more but i can't think of any right now)

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Favorite Topics:
Anything and everything except...

Least favorite topics:
... details of other people's personal lives that are of no practical concern to me

Lark

I can see a bit of a topical thinker bias emerging here, just to buck the trend then...

I am interested in peoples personal lives, particularly if its someone who I've got a professional interest in or liking for, the information that they impart provides me with food for thought and content to analyse.

Most of the theories that interest me and topics that I'll post are sociological or psychological in theme so it only makes sense that I'd be interested in people and minutae of their lives, its what the theories are about and the truth of falsehood of those theories can be discerned only by hearing from people themselves.

I do have a problem with communication styles, I think that feeling and sensing, if they are relegated styles and assert themselves in dysfunctional ways or even if they are dominant functions and people arent self-aware, can make communication difficult whatever the topic.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Favorite topics:
-philosophy
-computer stuff
-funny stuff
-past experiences with emotional relevance
-politics
-soccer
-...whatever unordinary

Least favorite topics:
-the weather (mostly)
-fashion, clothes of other people etc.
-talking too much about me (in real life, makes me feel uncomfortable)
-things that go against my values
-...too ordinary things like cleaning etc.

edit: Oh, notice I am here in NT section, hope I am allowed to post :)

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Favorite Topics:
Pretty much anything

Least Favorite Topics:
Repeats

F

figsfiggyfigs

Favorite Topics:
Pretty much anything

Least Favorite Topics:
Repeats

this.

I also dislike people talking negatively about others behind their back. That drives me insane, and I feel guilty just enabling it. So Gossip.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I can see a bit of a topical thinker bias emerging here, just to buck the trend then...

I am interested in peoples personal lives, particularly if its someone who I've got a professional interest in or liking for, the information that they impart provides me with food for thought and content to analyse.

Most of the theories that interest me and topics that I'll post are sociological or psychological in theme so it only makes sense that I'd be interested in people and minutae of their lives, its what the theories are about and the truth of falsehood of those theories can be discerned only by hearing from people themselves.

I do have a problem with communication styles, I think that feeling and sensing, if they are relegated styles and assert themselves in dysfunctional ways or even if they are dominant functions and people arent self-aware, can make communication difficult whatever the topic.

This sounds more like me. I like topics that have to do with human nature and why people behave the way they do. I love psychology and type theory (obviously). I also love pop culture and music. I like to analyze what the appeal is of a certain trend, or where a trend is going.

I've never been interested in finance or politics, for the most part. I don't mind discussing religion one on one with a friend, but not with strangers for sport. I don't like to hear the minutiae of a person's day unless I really, really care about them and know they need to vent. I don't like to listen to people complain about stuff that doesn't matter AT ALL, like the fact that their electric bill was $3 more this time. I'll give you the $3 if you shut up.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
This sounds more like me. I like topics that have to do with human nature and why people behave the way they do. I love psychology and type theory (obviously). I also love pop culture and music. I like to analyze what the appeal is of a certain trend, or where a trend is going.

I've never been interested in finance or politics, for the most part. I don't mind discussing religion one on one with a friend, but not with strangers for sport. I don't like to hear the minutiae of a person's day unless I really, really care about them and know they need to vent. I don't like to listen to people complain about stuff that doesn't matter AT ALL, like the fact that their electric bill was $3 more this time. I'll give you the $3 if you shut up.

Same, though in the pop culture department I'm almost entirely disinterested in typing celebrities. I'm especially a sucker for the threads along the lines of "HELP, having trouble with this interpersonal situation, what's going on?" Or any thread asking for help understanding a particular INFP.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Favourite:
literature
science
characters (well, duh)
religion (I've had a series of great discussions with a friend. At the end he converted me. I'm quite happy with my conversion, but I miss those discussions! It just isn't as fun if you've got the same lack of a religion.)
politics
parts of culture, mostly the older parts. (I never understood how my classmates were able to recognize 'last year' music from 'this year' but found it difficult to distinguish between baroque and romantic. Come on, there's 100+ years between these styles!)
myself (yes, I confess. I love attention...)

Least favourite:
Children/grandchildren. You've got to listen politely. Probably this will change when I've got kids myself - then I'll listen politely while impatiently waiting on a chance to tell about my children and bore the others to death like any (grand)parent does.
Other family/gossip stories. Am I really supposed to know who That One is? Well, it's sad that she has to go to hospital but...
Popular culture. I'm supposed to be interested in whether That Celebrity is gay or not? I'm supposed to recognize them from their faces???
Politics. Whether it's a favourite or not depends on whether I understand what's been discussed. If people discuss politics on a deeper level than my knowledge... Same goes for science, of course, but there's a better chance you hit the bottom of my knowledge with politics than with science.

StrawMan

MBTI Type
ENTP
Favourite topics:

fun stuff
soccer and ice hockey
economics
societal stuff
some tv-series and movies
gadgets
books
people
can be also relationships, if discussed in interesting way

Least favourite:

ordinary daily stuff
babies and animals :cheese:
most of gossip

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Favorite

Stuff that:
Makes Me Laugh

Makes Me Think

Makes Me Horney

Makes Me Change My Mind Back and Forth both during and after discussion

Gets My Adrenaline Running

Puts me in touch with my particular brand of spirituality

Weird/Freakishness/Surreal and the Unique

Experiments into the Absurd

Strategy/Tactics

History

Teaches me useful/pragmatic stuff

Least Favorite:
Celebrity Gossip

Sensationalism

Mathematics/Chemistry

Babies/Marriage

Some ramblings from Kids/Old folk (not all, just their particular brand of drivel)

Ethnic Humor aimed for appreciation at same ethnic/racial audience (i.e. Black/Hispanic/Redneck comedy aimed to same Black/Hispanic/Redneck audience)

Discussions limited by Dogma or heavily biased group-think

Prejudicial [Racist/Ethnic/Religious bias/Sexist] ramblings that aren't funny

Encumbered by Censorship/Politically Correct Revisionism

TV shows I don't and wouldn't ever want to watch

Music that I am not into

Nonstop talking about a persons boring job

Exercises in Namedropping/ "im so fucking great" masterbatory, contrived DHV (demonstration of higher value) ramblings

Sports Talk

Praise of People I Cant Stand (Nancy Grace, Bill Rilley, Sean Hannity, Keith Olbermann, George Bush and Rosie O' Donnell)

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Favorite: Spirituality and spiritual frauds, philosophy, psychology, relationships, theology, morality, the world and politics (especially gloomy forecasts), religion, atheism, gossip

Dislikes: Sensor stuff (cars, film directors, ...cars, how much money I'm not making and all the businesses I don't have), etiquette, celebrities, lawyers, gossip

Within

Permabanned
Favorite topics of discussion:
-Psychology
-Music
-Movies
-New Technology
-Games
-Anime
-The good ol' times
-I hate to admit it but I enjoy hearing dirt about other people.
-Great books
-Religion

Least favorite topics of discussion:
-Events that I had no involvement in.
-Sex
-When a girl says "let's tell secrets" and expect me to reveal some enigmatic secret about myself.
-Idiotic shit I've done when pissed.
-Sports
-Cars and anything related.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
In forums. My patience for discussing philosophy isn't as big because a) I'm usually doing it in english which is not my mother tongue b) because this is not real time and I have to wait for other people's post and lose interest in the meantime c) because how big other people's posts can be.

In real life nothing gives me more pleasure though.

I dislike anything that has no shred of philosophy behind it both here and IRL. My comments on anything are always with the intent to tilt the conversation into philosophy ground. Even if in a subtle way.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Favorites Topics:

Anything that might help someone with a personal problem they are dealing with.
Sharing a personal experience to inspire or offer an alternative way to view the above.
Music that I like or you think I might like.
Psycho babble stuff (insert feeler laden pseudo sciences here), from the academic to the practical
Computer games, the real kind (PeeCee), RTS, FPS, TBS mostly
The perception of time
Foreign languages, culture, food
Hsitory, especially medieval wars

Least Favorite Topics:

Complaining with no goal, solution or willingness to talk about one (save the drama fo yo mama)
Gossiping
Pop culture, unless it involves/includes an attractive and/or brainy female
Most sports, except for weight lifting and mma/ufc

ubee0173

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
i like talking about almost anything. except for problems i cant fix- i dont want to be a debbie downer! also, i have a love/hate relationship with religion/politics. i love talking&debating with people who have opposing opinions as long as they realize that a difference of opinion doesent mean that i dislike them as a person. and if someone thinks disagree=dislike, they wont listen to a word you have to say and probably wont be any good at swaying my opinion to their cause. so whats the point, you know? i can out-argue a good lawyer, but i hate bustin' out my debate skills. i would much rather agree to disagree and go get ice cream or something. so pretty much any topic is great unless the other conversationalist involved is a GIANT DOUCHE!

Garivande

MBTI Type
INTP
I hate talking about details. The minute a discussion deteriorates to determining whether the electricity in their home town costs x or y [money units] I look the other way and start thinking of something interesting. I'm present as long as the discussion is about how electricity should be generated (or some other "bigger picture" discussion) but when it gets down to the grains on the beach - I fall asleep...

I also detest talking about the weather, although I have learned to respond to people who do - not to seem rude...
A few years ago my daughter got herself a boyfriend. When I met him the first time he started talking about the weather, as if this was the most interesting topic he could find? (It probably was...) I answered something indifferently, which made him think I didn't like him - so every time I met him he tried talking about the weather - because this is supposed to be a subject everyone can relate to and likes talking about...?
I was so relieved when she dumped him. And her next boyfriend I really liked. He was probably INTP :) and never talked about the weather or any such boring subjects. His only flaw was that he held himself in unproportional high esteem - but that's probably a common syndrome among 17-year-olds...

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Typical noteworthy topics:

Science (from physics to the social sciences)
Philosophy (only certain topics though)
Technology and its impacts
Meta-analysis of the forum
Cultural and sociological trends

Often stimulating:
Discussions about politics that are not dominated by discussion of ideological concepts.
Books (fiction & non fiction)
Threads sharing art & music.
Discussion about music and acoustics
(rare) Humour

Sometimes fun:
Fluff
Enlightening autobiographical stories
Accusing people of being different types than they claim in their profile.
Cars (yeah, it's a type of technology, so what..)
(regular) Humour

Least noteworthy:
Gossip
Threads about me
Bragging
Complaints
Debates about religion
Pop culture
Threads that descend into pointless debate

xisnotx

Permabanned
Favorite: People's lives, relationship, the world, the future, the future of the world, my place in the world, my friends future plans, retirement, the destiny of the planet, the destiny of the U.S., anything and everything Africa, racism, Asia, the future of China, girls, and most importantly my childhood and those of my friends (just reminiscing about the good old days..and talking about how stupid we were to want to grow up, and how that affects our mindsets about everything now..)

Least: Anything that seems obvious. Religion, Politics, Philosophy, Humanitarian crises, etc etc. To me these things have obvious answer so it's almost useless to talk about them...at least inside the realms of "just talking". If I'm going to seriously talk about religion, I'm not going to be "just talking".