User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are your favorite & least favorite topics of discussion (in forum and irl)?

Ghost Monkey Soul Array Vizconde's Avatar

Stuff that:
    Makes Me Laugh

Makes Me Think

Makes Me Horney

Makes Me Change My Mind Back and Forth both during and after discussion

Gets My Adrenaline Running

Puts me in touch with my particular brand of spirituality

Weird/Freakishness/Surreal and the Unique

Experiments into the Absurd

Teaches me useful/pragmatic stuff

Least Favorite:
    Celebrity Gossip

Some ramblings from Kids/Old folk (not all, just their particular brand of drivel)

Ethnic Humor aimed for appreciation at same ethnic/racial audience (i.e. Black/Hispanic/Redneck comedy aimed to same Black/Hispanic/Redneck audience)

Discussions limited by Dogma or heavily biased group-think

Prejudicial [Racist/Ethnic/Religious bias/Sexist] ramblings that aren't funny

Encumbered by Censorship/Politically Correct Revisionism

TV shows I don't and wouldn't ever want to watch

Music that I am not into

Nonstop talking about a persons boring job

Exercises in Namedropping/ "im so fucking great" masterbatory, contrived DHV (demonstration of higher value) ramblings

Sports Talk

Praise of People I Cant Stand (Nancy Grace, Bill Rilley, Sean Hannity, Keith Olbermann, George Bush and Rosie O' Donnell)
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Senior Member Array ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar

Favorite: Spirituality and spiritual frauds, philosophy, psychology, relationships, theology, morality, the world and politics (especially gloomy forecasts), religion, atheism, gossip

Dislikes: Sensor stuff (cars, film directors,, how much money I'm not making and all the businesses I don't have), etiquette, celebrities, lawyers, gossip

Banned Array

Favorite topics of discussion:
    -New Technology
    -The good ol' times
    -I hate to admit it but I enjoy hearing dirt about other people.
    -Great books

Least favorite topics of discussion:
    -Events that I had no involvement in.
    -When a girl says "let's tell secrets" and expect me to reveal some enigmatic secret about myself.
    -Idiotic shit I've done when pissed.
    -Cars and anything related.

In forums. My patience for discussing philosophy isn't as big because a) I'm usually doing it in english which is not my mother tongue b) because this is not real time and I have to wait for other people's post and lose interest in the meantime c) because how big other people's posts can be.

In real life nothing gives me more pleasure though.

I dislike anything that has no shred of philosophy behind it both here and IRL. My comments on anything are always with the intent to tilt the conversation into philosophy ground. Even if in a subtle way.

Level 8 Scumlord Array SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    642 so/sx

Favorites Topics:

Anything that might help someone with a personal problem they are dealing with.
    Sharing a personal experience to inspire or offer an alternative way to view the above.
    Music that I like or you think I might like.
    Psycho babble stuff (insert feeler laden pseudo sciences here), from the academic to the practical
    Computer games, the real kind (PeeCee), RTS, FPS, TBS mostly
    The perception of time
    Foreign languages, culture, food
    Hsitory, especially medieval wars

Least Favorite Topics:

Complaining with no goal, solution or willingness to talk about one (save the drama fo yo mama)
    Pop culture, unless it involves/includes an attractive and/or brainy female
    Most sports, except for weight lifting and mma/ufc
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

i like talking about almost anything. except for problems i cant fix- i dont want to be a debbie downer! also, i have a love/hate relationship with religion/politics. i love talking&debating with people who have opposing opinions as long as they realize that a difference of opinion doesent mean that i dislike them as a person. and if someone thinks disagree=dislike, they wont listen to a word you have to say and probably wont be any good at swaying my opinion to their cause. so whats the point, you know? i can out-argue a good lawyer, but i hate bustin' out my debate skills. i would much rather agree to disagree and go get ice cream or something. so pretty much any topic is great unless the other conversationalist involved is a GIANT DOUCHE!
    I will buy you a drink and I'll tell you what I think, and tomorrow, in the morning, I won't be sorry that I didn't sleep.

I hate talking about details. The minute a discussion deteriorates to determining whether the electricity in their home town costs x or y [money units] I look the other way and start thinking of something interesting. I'm present as long as the discussion is about how electricity should be generated (or some other "bigger picture" discussion) but when it gets down to the grains on the beach - I fall asleep...

I also detest talking about the weather, although I have learned to respond to people who do - not to seem rude...
    A few years ago my daughter got herself a boyfriend. When I met him the first time he started talking about the weather, as if this was the most interesting topic he could find? (It probably was...) I answered something indifferently, which made him think I didn't like him - so every time I met him he tried talking about the weather - because this is supposed to be a subject everyone can relate to and likes talking about...?
    I was so relieved when she dumped him. And her next boyfriend I really liked. He was probably INTP :-) and never talked about the weather or any such boring subjects. His only flaw was that he held himself in unproportional high esteem - but that's probably a common syndrome among 17-year-olds...

The Eighth Colour Array Octarine's Avatar
    10w so

Typical noteworthy topics:

Science (from physics to the social sciences)
    Philosophy (only certain topics though)
    Technology and its impacts
    Meta-analysis of the forum
    Cultural and sociological trends

Often stimulating:
    Discussions about politics that are not dominated by discussion of ideological concepts.
    Books (fiction & non fiction)
    Threads sharing art & music.
    Discussion about music and acoustics
    (rare) Humour

Sometimes fun:
    Enlightening autobiographical stories
    Accusing people of being different types than they claim in their profile.
    Cars (yeah, it's a type of technology, so what..)
    (regular) Humour

Least noteworthy:
    Threads about me
    Debates about religion
    Pop culture
    Threads that descend into pointless debate

Permabanned Array

Favorite: People's lives, relationship, the world, the future, the future of the world, my place in the world, my friends future plans, retirement, the destiny of the planet, the destiny of the U.S., anything and everything Africa, racism, Asia, the future of China, girls, and most importantly my childhood and those of my friends (just reminiscing about the good old days..and talking about how stupid we were to want to grow up, and how that affects our mindsets about everything now..)

Least: Anything that seems obvious. Religion, Politics, Philosophy, Humanitarian crises, etc etc. To me these things have obvious answer so it's almost useless to talk about least inside the realms of "just talking". If I'm going to seriously talk about religion, I'm not going to be "just talking".

Senior Member Array uncommonentity's Avatar

Favourite: Whatever's on your mind.
    Least: Whatever's on my mind.
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.