• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] People who are smarter than you

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I really don't mind if others I meet are as smart or smarter than me, it makes intelligence or talent seem like less of a burden when I realize I'm not the only one it causes to know 'too much' at certain times. I'm a solitary extrovert at times because people think they can pull you back in after you realize that they think they control what others are able to learn or imagine.

ENTJ

Then again it's even more outstanding nowadays if you aint a solitary extrovert or introvert.

Maybe those people who managed to be not are the ones who are the smartest ?!

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
OK cough it up NT's. Who are the smartest people you've met in your life (can be online people i suppose)? Are they snarter than you? What types do you think they are? I'm particularly interested in INTJ answers.

Honetly ?

1. the infomation and the vision are the key, not raw intelligence
2. I have serious doubts that free will extist
3. I don't talk to people for the most part so it is hard for me to say.

metasapiens

MBTI Type
N>JI
There's an objective manner to judge intelligence?

irm_contre_indication.jpg

We can at least measure objectively what we define subjectively..

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
My smartest friend was INTP, although he wasn't very introverted, and not extraverted either. He went to national physics contests, he learned English so fast when he was little that people would crowd around him to ask him words lol. And he would come up with surprising solutions when we were doing math.

How am I supposed to know which is the smartest person I met? It's not like I can measure their intelligence.

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I don't know. There's tons of people smarter than me. But are we talking smart as in intelligent, having a high IQ or wisdom?

Because I don't have much in the way of wisdom, regardless of how high my IQ is.

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Iq tests favor the INTP.

Or is it that INTPs favour IQ tests? As opposed to, say, emotional intelligence ones, social awareness etc.

Besides, IQ tests are notoriously flawed. I scoff.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Smartest people I've known have been ENTPs.

(also some of the dumbest)

redsox44344

MBTI Type
ENTP
Smartest people that I know were mostly INTJ's, many of my good friends are INTJ's, and most are extremely intelligent. In addition, it's great to have someone that you can study for as long as you want but still not know what they are thinking.

metasapiens

MBTI Type
N>JI
Iq tests favor the INTP.

I don't think so. Ti as a primilary function is powerfull but quite slow. INTPs need time to think deeply about something new. If feeling cornered by the clock or a lack of explanations, an INTP may just argue inwardly about some aspects of the test with an imaginary version of the examiner, instead of focusing on work.

Lucas

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't think so. Ti as a primilary function is powerfull but quite slow. INTPs need time to think deeply about something new. If feeling cornered by the clock or a lack of explanations, an INTP may just argue inwardly about some aspects of the test with an imaginary version of the examiner, instead of focusing on work.

Not really. Most questions are simple recall, which I can practically do in my sleep, and those which require analysis are usually on something I have at least thought about before. Truly new topics are rare.

That said, when all else fails, I do usually critique the question.

redacted

The few people who I think are clearly smarter than me are
a) my Cognitive Science professor at Berkeley (definitely an INTJ -- look him up, his name is Tom Griffiths)
b) the guy I worked with in person a's lab. we wrote an experiment together because we independently came up with the same theory of categorization. (also INTJ)
c) Reason on this forum (INTP)
d) questionably my dad (INTP)

Yeah, I think I'm really smart :) There are a lot of people I think of as essentially equal, too.

P.S. I'd rather be me than the four people I named, as I think I have more social intuition than they do. But meh.

Edit: P.P.S. A lot of people I consider to be on my level (I estimate within .5 SDs in IQ) are Fs and Ss. The 4 people I mentioned I consider to be at least .5SDs above me.

Second Edit: for some reason, I equate intelligence (for the sake of this discussion) with Verbal IQ (as opposed to Performance IQ).

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The 2 smartest types in my experience have been ENTP and INTJ.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People often tell me I think I'm smarter than they are. What they really mean is: "I think you're smarter than me and it makes me feel very insecure". Somehow they want to make this my problem.
I find this bizarre. Who has time to waste wondering how smart other people *think* they are? Let alone challenging them about it. :laugh:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OK cough it up NT's. Who are the smartest people you've met in your life (can be online people i suppose)? Are they snarter than you? What types do you think they are? I'm particularly interested in INTJ answers.

Of the two that come to mind at the moment, one is likely an ENTP and one is an ENFP.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
There is NO particular most intelligent type. Some types are better with logic, some with vocabulary, some with people, some with music or art, others with the natural sciences. To assume that any one type of temperment is more "intelligent" than the others is to assign ourselves an aura of superiority, to make ourselves feel better about who we are. In actual life, the most intelligent one is the one who knows the right thing to do at the time and in any given situation. This may not always be the same person. For example, if I need help wiring a rocket, I'll call my cousin, who has an IQ of 165, but possesses absolutely NO social skills. However, if I need a public relations expert, I'll call my sister who doesn't care squat about her IQ but could sell dirt to a mole or if I need my car fixed, I'll call my brother in law, who can't even read but is so intelligent about cars that he can practically fix them in his sleep. The point is...Intelligence is more than just a test score obtained by answering puzzles on a piece of paper and being timed while you do it. (I've taken those kinds of test before and believe it or not...THEY SAY I'M REALLY SMART, but when my car breaks down, what good does knowing whether a pattern is prime numbers or cubed numbers really do me?...NADA, amigos, nada.) Shoot, what does it matter if I can solve a rubics cube and speak four languages if I can't hold down a job or maintain a healthy relationship? When does being a puzzle-solver make me a better specimen of humanity? I really like Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences. Also, I like the notion that a genius isn't someone who scores high on a test but rather who contributes to humanity in a long-lasting and positive way, who does something that actually counts for something and serves more than just the self.

Oh, here's a quick link. Nothing fancy, just something to consider.

http://www.tecweb.org/styles/gardner.html

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I may or may not be NT. I realize that there are a lot of people who are smarter than I am. It's important to me to be able to do anything I set out to do, within reason. I generally succeed. Some things take me longer to learn than others, and some people learn them more quickly than I do. But generally I'm a talented, smart person, and I really enjoy it. I love figuring things out and doing things well. I love talking to intelligent people, and educated people. It doesn't bother me if people know more than I do, as long as they're not all snobby about it. I think there are many kinds of intelligence, and I have some and not others. It's been theorized as far as IQ scores go that once you go beyond 130 or so, intelligence stops increasing and just branches in different directions. I think I fall into that category. And if that were not the case, I would increase my intelligence until I did. It's been shown that intelligence is highly variable with the level of development, and very responsive to "exercise."

And obviously it doesn't have to do with type. Some types are better at some things than others, but overall intelligence is not correlated. Probably. I'm not a scientist. I could be completely wrong.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"It is not the strongest or the smartest who will survive, but those who are most adaptable to change." -Charles Darwin

I would define intelligence as the ability to solve problems. And then I would expand the notion of problem solving to include every area of life one is faced with.