User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: People who are smarter than you

Banned Array

My best friend, he's an IxTJ. I consider him to be more intelligent than me in a number of fields as well as having a higher IQ point. We complement each other well.

Courage is immortality Array Valiant's Avatar
    8w7 sx/so

I know a couple of INTPs with Asperger syndrome who have a higher logical ability than me.
    However, they are sorely lacking in some other areas.
    I know lots of people who are wittier and quicker than me.
    There are many that I know who seem to have it easier socially than me.
    I'm not the best at anything special, I am more of a generalist who does everything.
    Through this I see and understand more than most. It is a world view.

However, I do not know anyone that is more original and imaginative than myself.
    I am speaking about knowing someone like this in person. In real life.
    Sometimes I see characters that beat me on TV or on the internet.
    If people knew what I was thinking about half of the time, they would want to get a hold of whatever they'd think i'm using.
    On here, I might come across as within the norm. It's a facade.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    On here, I might come across as within the norm. It's a facade.
    Dont worry, I've already exposed you
    Johari / Nohari

"How dreadful!" cried Lord Henry. "I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect."
    ~ Oscar Wilde - The picture of Dorian Gray

Striving for balance Array Little Linguist's Avatar

It is interesting for me to see how people define intelligence indirectly through the answers they give. Just saying.

For some people intelligence is:

- logical deduction
    - amount of accumulated knowledge
    - ability to multitask
    - ability to deeply penetrate to the heart of the matter
    - being a cool-ass car (just kidding! )
    - ability to plan and execute actions
    - some vague, amorphous mass yet to be defined

And probably others I missed.

I've met a few.
    There are some pretty clever people on here.

In real life, one of my friends continues to blow my mind away. He is an INTJ after all.....

When someone knows more about a certain subject than I ( inevitable), I feel ill-equipped, and must then take care of the pungent smell of inadequacy ASAP by spraying some knowledge all over myself (unless it truly is boring/pointless), then I rather stink of ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    Who are the smartest people you've met in your life (can be online people i suppose)?
    I think the smartest person I have met (online) is an internet friend of mine who, interestingly, is by no means particularly erudite.

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    Are they s[m]arter than you? What types do you think they are?
    Yes, he is smarter than me; his IQ is higher, too. His MBTI results sway between INTP and INTJ; I believe the former to be correct.

Among fellow students and professors, I have met quite a few people who might very well be smarter than me, but I am not close enough to them to give a knowledgable evaluation of their intelligence.

9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    It is interesting for me to see how people define intelligence indirectly through the answers they give. Just saying.
    Indeed, too many ways to view someone as smart.

In terms of IQ I'd have no idea, don't even know my own but I'm sure I'm not in the Mensa range. I care about wisdom and that generally comes with age and experience so anyone with maturity who has wisdom is someone I see as smart and worth learning off, they come in all MBTI types. My strength is that I'm quick; in picking things up, in figuring things out, in looking at alternative possibilities, in wit etc, but I can't say I consider myself smarter than your average non-idiot.

Several people. I’d class most of my university biology professors as being in a higher league than my own, simply for producing more external works that can be objectively analyzed. They have a larger amount of feats and whether their limits are inherently higher or not, the knowledge gap between us make them appear far superior. I also debate with such a large amount of people on the Internet that I do run into several people who provide me with a challenge. The majority of both types of people seem to fall into the INTP and INTJ brackets.

In terms of my peers, I can also recall one individual science major that is very much like myself but superior in almost every way. He is charismatic, meaning that his interpersonal intelligence is greater than my own, and has a higher ability to retain scientific knowledge than I do. Needless to say that he can understand matters of the same complexity or greater than I can as well.

In actuality, there are large amount of people that I’ve met who “smarter” than me according to my criteria. That criteria being based upon the ability to reason abstractly and to arrive at a creative solution for mathematical, scientific, and practical problems. The ability to recall information is not one of my major criteria but it is always a good thing to have a larger amount of “RAM” so to speak. I also take several components of Gardner’s Multiple Intelligence Theory into account, such as the before mentioned Interpersonal Intelligence and various others such as Kinesthetic, Linguistic, Spatial, and Logical intelligence, though the concept that I generally recognize intelligence as, intuitively, is a mixture between all the before mentioned types barring Kinesthetic Intelligence.

I answered the question somewhat differently than I would have five years ago. I went through high school held in high regard as some sort of insurmountable genius, so later on it, when I came into contact with individuals with a similar background, it came as quite a shock that I was seemingly little more than slightly above average. It came as an even greater shock when in my entrepreneurial activities, my business rivals were able to accomplish many things with apparent ease that I had to sweat blood in order to do.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

5w4 sx

topic title doesent make any sense to me
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

I judge people on both intellectual AND social intelligence. While I respect people with huge intellects (haven't met too many of those), I respect people even more if they know how to use their intellects in some way, and are well rounded individuals who can relate to people in some way. I also respect when a smart person has not been drawn down an overly judgmental path towards life - in other words, they don't let their intellects turn them into overly rigid people. Nothing is more arrogant than externally coming across like a know it all. I much prefer actions instead of words.

SCOEI / Inquisitive