MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Panic attack.
    Not function or type related.

Anyone can get them; it's just a matter of what causes the stress/anxiety.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I wasnt really able to think or rationalise but I was able to do something which resembled it, like a phony version of each if you know what I mean, the reptilian brain had totally and utterly taken over.
    Is that really what its like not to be NTJ?

I'm like blessed and stuff.
    Yes reptilian brain. It's a wonder any of the non-NTJs can function at all, huh?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Panic attack.
    Not function or type related.

Anyone can get them; it's just a matter of what causes the stress/anxiety.
    Perhaps but I'm inclined to believe that a lot is explicable about panic attacks and stress related dysfunctional behaviour by understanding type and shadow.

There's some MBTI books and authors on this topic, like Was That Really ME?: How Everyday Stress Brings out Our Hidden Personality by
    Katharine D. Myers, Naomi L. Quenk or Beside Ourselves: Our Hidden Personality in Everyday Life by Naomi L. Quenk.

I can vouch for the second one, I thought it was very good, although to be honest it was academic until I got stressed out climbing/scrambling and really experienced it.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Yes reptilian brain. It's a wonder any of the non-NTJs can function at all, huh?

Yeah, its a totally different life.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Perhaps but I'm inclined to believe that a lot is explicable about panic attacks and stress related dysfunctional behaviour by understanding type and shadow.
    That's what I said -- it depends on what causes anxiety and stress in a person. Stressful circumstances can be categorized and generalized by type.

But the fact you had a panic attack, and getting panic attacks, has nothing to do with being NT. Everyone can get them. Panic attacks themselves are not related to type.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I think people fight their reptilian brain, rather than channeling it towards something positive or at least productive. When it's channeled, people should revel in it but put it away when unnecessary. As a woman, watching men indulging that side through sports or other forms of physical activity is pretty hot!

As far as your panic attack, no wonder if you were challenging a fear. Push beyond fear and you'll have clarity. Hopefully you'll continue pushing beyond.

MBTI
    INTJ

Im doing similar experiments myself.

Trying to figure out how i work. Thats why i did the MBTI.

I can have strange physical reactions i don`t really understand.

im thinking stuff like... why is this happening? this is bs! im not scared or nervous, my body is.

How i react i think is heavily variable on blod suger.

After a skydive i was cool and did not feel any high at all but on the way home i finally got myself some food (coca cola and man! was i talking then!)

skydiving is amazing. it was only a tandem but i forgot every "safety" procedures and straightened out for that iron man style dive for a short time.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Everyone I know goes through some shit like that, me included.

But everyone I know is also not an NT.

My 'shutdowns' are a lot similar, but then they can vary as well.
    Panic attacks are mostly caused by situations (ex. I had to scale down a castle, and I wasn't worried until I was strapped in and looked down. I wasn't expecting to be so up high, I guess.

My psychological shutdowns last longer, and I mostly become sedentary, silent, or very loud and angry.

Consulting Detective Mr. Sherlock Holmes's Avatar
    MBTI
    JiNe
    Enneagram
    5W4

I had a panic attack once, sort of, though my physical symptoms were not extreme. I was hyperventilating, head spinning and I was crying. I was just totally freaked out and filled with stress and anxiety.

I'm actually pretty emotional for an NT. But it's my logic and rationalisation that stops me being an F.