• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] What do ENTPs think of INTPs

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I disagree with this semblance. All week, I have been trying to befriend this ENTP. DAMN!!

heh. you may find your thoughts to be different after you succeed.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
it's rare that i don't get along great with them, but it seems to me that ENTPs tend to enjoy the company of INTPs more than INTPs enjoy the company of ENTPs.

I recently dated an ENTP. I really liked him, but I found I couldn't get close to him. He seemed to be more interested in making sure a) I could put up with his need to do all of his projects and b) I could handle his intensity. I felt like he liked me, and he was always talking about "us" in the future tense, but he ran hot and cold, withdrawing a lot. I ultimately felt like his primary relationship would always be with himself. It wasn't great for my self-esteem, so we're no longer seeing each other.

I don't know many ENTPs IRL, but have noticed on the forums, I get along fabulously with female ENTPs, while the (younger) guys come off a bit cocky. I can't be around cocky for any length of time. The guy I dated was older and a little more humble but still really self-focused.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
heh. you may find your thoughts to be different after you succeed.

I doubt that. ENTP's seem to have these excited initiatory first impression but Inferior Si shows later on. I guess it's just me and my fact-filter but no, I think many INTP's are like this which makes me wonder how INTP's and ENTP's can have such a positively relationship.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
As far as I can tell, this is one of the biggest differences. ENTPs often put out an idea before it's fully baked, just to play with it Ne-style before asking Ti to take a look at it. INTPs very often will not even really be able to express what we're thinking until we run it through Ti. Ti is how we make sense of things. If an ENTP asks me a direct question about how I feel about something, I sometimes feel like a deer in the headlights, because maybe I haven't thought about that thing before. If you talk to me about it for a while, ideas will start popping up, but I need some time and some context to feel comfortable talking about it. Especially because you guys are intense. :smile:
Yes, this. I often feel uncomfortable if I'm asked to speak about something I haven't had a chance to think about in advance.

I don't know enough ENTPs IRL to comment on the OP beyond that.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
INTP's are great. They fall under the "type most likely to have an interesting conversation with" category. ENTP's and INTP's are natural buds.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What do you guys think, I think I've only known one ENTP, he was my best friend in high school but I haven't seen him in over 5 years, are we just more subdued versions of ENTPs?

You guys are hilarious!! Come come, introverts, GET LOUD. You'll make the world a lot more...interesting. :devil:

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You guys are hilarious!! Come come, introverts, GET LOUD. You'll make the world a lot more...interesting. :devil:

Extroverts always say that (or something like that) - "get loud, it will be fun!". But everytime I do it, it doesn't work. Everyone just goes: :shock: How is that fun?

Being sarcastic and a jokester - that I can do. Getting loud and crazy - it just doesn't work for us most of the time.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Extroverts always say that (or something like that) - "get loud, it will be fun!". But everytime I do it, it doesn't work. Everyone just goes: :shock: How is that fun?
That's because normal (ie. inferior) people don't get Ne humor.

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP
As far as I can tell, this is one of the biggest differences. ENTPs often put out an idea before it's fully baked, just to play with it Ne-style before asking Ti to take a look at it. INTPs very often will not even really be able to express what we're thinking until we run it through Ti. Ti is how we make sense of things. If an ENTP asks me a direct question about how I feel about something, I sometimes feel like a deer in the headlights, because maybe I haven't thought about that thing before. If you talk to me about it for a while, ideas will start popping up, but I need some time and some context to feel comfortable talking about it. Especially because you guys are intense. :smile:

lol, yep, that's how my conversations go with INTP's. Two INTP's in particular, I really really want to hear what they think about something and I always feel like I'm pulling teeth to get it out of them. And yeah, I admit I ramp up the intensity b/c I really DO what to know what they think.

But it's awesome when I finally get it out of them and I go back for more time and again :)

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
They love us.

:yes: :wub:

it's rare that i don't get along great with them, but it seems to me that ENTPs tend to enjoy the company of INTPs more than INTPs enjoy the company of ENTPs.

Personally, I've not noticed that pattern irl. But then I haven't stumbled across many INTPs :(

I recently dated an ENTP.

Is that the guy you initially thought may have been INTP?

He seemed to be more interested in making sure a) I could put up with his need to do all of his projects and b) I could handle his intensity. I felt like he liked me, and he was always talking about "us" in the future tense, but he ran hot and cold, withdrawing a lot. I ultimately felt like his primary relationship would always be with himself. It wasn't great for my self-esteem, so we're no longer seeing each other.

Sounds very guarded and like he isn't able to give in a relationship. If you can't "turn off" around your partner then it's not going to be real.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Some of the most hysterical people I've met have been ENTP's... and I LOVE a good laugh. :wubbie:

I have an INTP friend. She finds me funny allbeit annoying and I found annoying her and making her laugh, fun. It worked out great.

:rofl1:

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know a lot of INTPs, they are usually very interesting and very willing to teach you stuff as long as you're willing to listen. Probably one of the types I get along with very well. Extraverts are cooler though... sorry lol

quamdel

MBTI Type
INTP
We are excellent conversationalists! We have the best one-liners! and if we said what we were thinking all the time, we would not stop talking! we define cool because we define unique! there i hella just said it.

quamdel

MBTI Type
INTP
THEN TALK!!

*mutter, grumble, pout*

haha so not fair. I have to improvise so much shit that I say because I always get caught off guard in a conversation. we are good at summarizing too

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Is that the guy you initially thought may have been INTP?

Yeah--he tested INTP, but that's because when he is working, he's very solitary. There's no question the ENTP profile fits him better.

Sounds very guarded and like he isn't able to give in a relationship. If you can't "turn off" around your partner then it's not going to be real.

Yeah. It's kind of a shame, because it was really cool on a few levels. I ended up feeling kind of inadequate and not fully appreciated, though I know that wasn't his intention. Just felt sort of off-balance all the time. I tried my best on my end, I think. I would catch glimmers when he'd let his guard down, but then it went right back up. Those glimmers would make me want to figure out why things weren't working all the time. Very frustrating. :cry:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
haha so not fair. I have to improvise so much shit that I say because I always get caught off guard in a conversation. we are good at summarizing too

No fair on me either! :steam: It's the words that INTPs utter that I adore more than anything.

I like being right, or at least can't stand being wrong, with INTPs I don't find myself bothered with that so much as I appreciate the intellect many have and the generally humble attitude that goes along with it (even if it's shown up in self-effacing or narcissistic-style jokes). I generally feel as though I can challenge them in a manner that even if we completely disagree both sides are liable to learn something from the other person. I don't get that with other NTs, or most other non-SP types, and SPs tend to get bored with the things I find fantastically debatable.

Yeah. It's kind of a shame, because it was really cool on a few levels. I ended up feeling kind of inadequate and not fully appreciated, though I know that wasn't his intention. Just felt sort of off-balance all the time. I tried my best on my end, I think. I would catch glimmers when he'd let his guard down, but then it went right back up. Those glimmers would make me want to figure out why things weren't working all the time. Very frustrating. :cry:

Sorry to hear that.

What have you learnt about INTP-ENTP relationships, that while unique to you, may be good advice for others?