User Tag List

123 Last

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Default Brainfarts, sudden pauses and other interventions.

Sometimes, mostly when it's in the morning, I have these moments of complete nothingness. I call them brainfarts.

For example, I'm typing in a formal letter that requires a little bit of concentration. I get a phonecall at that time and pick up, the person that's calling asks me something that requires me to go to another file in my computer, but I am still staring at the formal letter. There's this 3 seconds dead silent pause in which I am not doing anything. I'm brainfarting!

Then the person on the other end says "Hellloooo?" and the lights come on again and I go to that file.

Is it something me-specific? INTP-specific? Maybe NT-specific? Or not specific at all?

Do you have brainfarts?
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTJ

Never had one in my life.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Yup. I haz it. Usually when I don't get enough sleep and I'm doing stuff that requires me to actively think. The bridge between brain cells or whatever, is just lost. That's when it happens. I'll eventually find a way around, but it takes a few seconds.

Stinky

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Salt n' pepper View Post
    Yup. I haz it. Usually when I don't get enough sleep and I'm doing stuff that requires me to actively think. The bridge between brain cells or whatever, is just lost. That's when it happens. I'll eventually find a way around, but it takes a few seconds.
    That's pretty much what I was going to say -- it seems based on how tired I am at the time, usually I multitask well.

It can also happen when I'm completely engrossed in something and someone just pops in without preamble or segue and starts hurtling information at me. I need a sec or two to bookmark what's happening in my head before being able to focus on them.

And, finally, if I'm bored with the topic/conversation, it's easy for me to zone out and go elsewhere in my thoughts without even realizing it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

This happened to me in the bathroom the other day. I forgot how to pull my pants back on! I was just staring down, wondering...how do I do this?

I don't really need to be tired. Entirely random, usually it will be when in the mental world and then forced to respond to something environmental, like putting your pants on, where the "handoff" gets tripped up.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    This happened to me in the bathroom the other day. I forgot how to pull my pants back on! I was just staring down, wondering...how do I do this?

I don't really need to be tired. Entirely random, usually it will be when in the mental world and then forced to respond to something environmental, like putting your pants on, where the "handoff" gets tripped up.
    Do you really think "How do I do this?" Or is it more of a "Wait, what was I doing?" thing. Because I don't think our brainfarts are the same if you're actually aware of what you're trying to do when you're brainfarting. :P

When I experience a brainfart I mentioned, it's like nothing at all is happening in my upper chamber until I snap out of it or someone else snaps me out of it.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Do you really think "How do I do this?" Or is it more of a "Wait, what was I doing?" thing. Because I don't think our brainfarts are the same if you're actually aware of what you're trying to do when you're brainfarting. :P

When I experience a brainfart I mentioned, it's like nothing at all is happening in my upper chamber until I snap out of it or someone else snaps me out of it.
    The "how do I do this" part was me explaining afterwards what it seemed like. During the actual horrifying experience, there was just nothing. No mental activity whatsoever, I was completely lost.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    The "how do I do this" part was me explaining afterwards what it seemed like. During the actual horrifying experience, there was just nothing. No mental activity whatsoever, I was completely lost.
    Ah, same then.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Happens to me. Don't have to be tired. I will come to a stop, zone out, and then go "and I was doing...what?"

*Poof*

I hate it when it happens because it can take a while to get the train back on the tracks.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TMwKbiozTc"].[/YOUTUBE]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]