• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Facial Expressions

Within

Permabanned
This is a question that goes out to all the NT's out there.

Anyway, I was thinking a bit about myself and everyone else's physical behaviour in general. When ever I find myself in a social situation ergo not by myself I tend to fake facial expressions to fit in with the mood or tune of the conversation in order to please the person I'm having a interaction with. Because I find that my ordinary face will be seen as discourageing and or depressing to anyone else than me.

Does anyone else act like this as well? And if you do what is your motivation to do so.

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9
I mirror the manner of speaking and body language very much. Not that much of facial expressions.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yeah facial expressions are a tough one most of the time, unless I'm in an exciting and energizing conversation where it comes naturally. If it's small talk or something awkward like that, I'll feel retarded doing it but I will definitely try to go with a facial expression that would be appropriate in the situation. It works pretty okay, but still leaves me feeling weird about myself.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't mirror people. If I'm around people who are smiling and happy, I often am too, but it's not because I want to fit in, it's because being around them makes me happy.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i dont do that. maybe it has something to do with your tertiary Fi

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I always said my ENTJ mother could win an Oscar the way her mood, facial expressions, tone of voice, EVERYTHING immediately change when we're around other people. She can be in a yelling/bitchy/angry mood one minute... and as soon as other people show up she's all smiles and sunshine.

My ENTJ boyfriend does the same thing. He might be tired and just looking exhausted. The second he's around other people he perks up and his facial expressions are smiley and bright-eyed. This is especially true for clients at work. He can just put on whatever face will charm their socks off.

From my perspective, they are both VERY fake people when they are around certain people. Like impersonal acquaintances. It's just weird being able to watch an ENTJ do this from an outside perspective, because they're both close enough to me that they don't usually bother faking their mood in my presence.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have pretty unique expressions. I find that I really like some fellow ENTP expressions, or other expressions in general, and adopt them.

I can pretty much put on whatever I feel like when I am around people, but I generally mirror the mood. Sometimes I am more contemplative than people around me, or more argumentative, but that is the only time it really comes through.

My motivation? Because I don't intimidate people as much, I think. I look unapproachable if I do otherwise.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find myself putting on a face other than what I normally look like...I get so sick of people asking me, "What's wrong?" "What's the matter--why do you look like that?"

I find it tiring but it avoids the more tiresome, 'what's wrong?' questions.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You people are SO weird. I've heard other nt's mention doing this. It is so beyond me that the whole idea of it cracks me up.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey, like Redbone said, it helps us to avoid the ever annoying question of 'whatsdamatter?'

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I try to appear relaxed so that they feel comfortable enough to talk too me without me having to show an extreme amount of emotion. I suppose it'd be considered a relaxed attentive-ness.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Facial expression? What facial expression? Is that one of those things people use, like these "tone of voice" and "vocal inflection" concepts I keep hearing about?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Facial expression? What facial expression? Is that one of those things people use, like these "tone of voice" and "vocal inflection" concepts I keep hearing about?
Likely so, unfortunately. I don't focus on facial expression, but can mimic general attitudes to some degree if I think it is necessary. It is hard, though, and I can't keep it up for long. Generally I do an excellent job of being myself, and a poor job of trying to be anything else. If people are uncomfortable with the real me, they don't have to stay around more than absolutely necessary.

Circe

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Hurts... to... smile...

Actually, facial expressions are fine for me during one-on-one conversations. I don't really think too much about it unless someone asks: "Are you alright?" "You look upset." "What's wrong?"

Then my face goes >:/

E

Epiphany

keira_knightly_2668_large.jpg

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I tend to just be myself regardless. I dont fake any expressions. Sometimes I'm smiley, sometimes I'm not, thats just the way I am

Within

Permabanned
Thanks for all the replies, the variety of answers confirm my expectations.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I don't show a great deal of emotion. I usually find that if you show people little enough of yourself, then eventually they start to see whatever they want. Thus people often come to believe things about me that simply aren't true. They say that nature hates a vacuum, I guess the human mind does as well.

Because of this I rarely have to bother mirroring people even if I feel there is any reason to do so. I just wait until they tell me who they think I am, then say "Yes, well spotted."