User Tag List

123 Last

Banned

Talking Facial Expressions

This is a question that goes out to all the NT's out there.

Anyway, I was thinking a bit about myself and everyone else's physical behaviour in general. When ever I find myself in a social situation ergo not by myself I tend to fake facial expressions to fit in with the mood or tune of the conversation in order to please the person I'm having a interaction with. Because I find that my ordinary face will be seen as discourageing and or depressing to anyone else than me.

Does anyone else act like this as well? And if you do what is your motivation to do so.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE

I mirror the manner of speaking and body language very much. Not that much of facial expressions.
    Oh yeah?

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Yeah facial expressions are a tough one most of the time, unless I'm in an exciting and energizing conversation where it comes naturally. If it's small talk or something awkward like that, I'll feel retarded doing it but I will definitely try to go with a facial expression that would be appropriate in the situation. It works pretty okay, but still leaves me feeling weird about myself.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I don't mirror people. If I'm around people who are smiling and happy, I often am too, but it's not because I want to fit in, it's because being around them makes me happy.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i dont do that. maybe it has something to do with your tertiary Fi
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I always said my ENTJ mother could win an Oscar the way her mood, facial expressions, tone of voice, EVERYTHING immediately change when we're around other people. She can be in a yelling/bitchy/angry mood one minute... and as soon as other people show up she's all smiles and sunshine.

My ENTJ boyfriend does the same thing. He might be tired and just looking exhausted. The second he's around other people he perks up and his facial expressions are smiley and bright-eyed. This is especially true for clients at work. He can just put on whatever face will charm their socks off.

From my perspective, they are both VERY fake people when they are around certain people. Like impersonal acquaintances. It's just weird being able to watch an ENTJ do this from an outside perspective, because they're both close enough to me that they don't usually bother faking their mood in my presence.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

I have pretty unique expressions. I find that I really like some fellow ENTP expressions, or other expressions in general, and adopt them.

I can pretty much put on whatever I feel like when I am around people, but I generally mirror the mood. Sometimes I am more contemplative than people around me, or more argumentative, but that is the only time it really comes through.

My motivation? Because I don't intimidate people as much, I think. I look unapproachable if I do otherwise.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I find myself putting on a face other than what I normally look like...I get so sick of people asking me, "What's wrong?" "What's the matter--why do you look like that?"

I find it tiring but it avoids the more tiresome, 'what's wrong?' questions.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

You people are SO weird. I've heard other nt's mention doing this. It is so beyond me that the whole idea of it cracks me up.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Hey, like Redbone said, it helps us to avoid the ever annoying question of 'whatsdamatter?'
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex