• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] The INTP and Feelings

R

RDF

Te usually turns me into a self righteous, know it all prig whenever I let it get any kind of a lead on me. I try very hard to recognize when this happening.

That's "stressed-Te." I still get fits of "stressed-Te" (along with "stressed-Si") when I get into conflict with someone.

But I also have access to the healthy, productive, unstressed version of my Inferior ("unstressed-Te") and even somewhat to the unstressed version of my Tertiary ("unstressed-Si").

I've been working on it. :D

Mr.Miagi

MBTI Type
INTP
Aficionados of music include the tone-deaf.

Hexchild, from INTPc, matched these three in the autobiographical information he provided. At one point he noted that he understood relationships as static, as if they were code or statute; and that a change couldn't be perceived, or even conjectured, but only announced by the other. One of my three, an INTP to whom I was once quite close, disclosed the same mechanical process.

structuralism

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
Since INTPs like to test each other a bit (Ti analysis & Ne playfulness), there's a lot of low-level conflict occurring over at INTP-C, which in turn generates a constant "odor" of "stressed-Fe" there. Hence I sometimes describe INTP-C as having a caustic atmosphere.

But I wouldn't describe INTP-C as emotion-free. Quite the opposite. All that caustic stressed-Fe (as well as a lesser amount of relaxed unstressed-Fe) over there at INTP-C makes me register INTP board members as rather histrionic and emotional.

I find INTP-C as a cold cold caustic place that gives me chills down my spine whenever I visit it! It physically makes me a bit sick (maybe fear, angst, etc, not sure) But its toxic there! :cry:
Im glad the INTPs here are kind and normal :)

Judous

MBTI Type
INTP
I really don't agree with the whole "INTP's are socially awkward" type deal. Although I haven't really met any others in real life that I know of so it may just be myself. I hate, I mean I really cant stand small talk. If I am out having a smoke, and you come up and say.. "man how bout this cold eh!?", I probably wouldn't say anything. Not because I'm scared or awkward.. but because I couldn't care less about the topic. But if you were to come up and talk about one these subjects... man I would never stfu

Anything about the Universe or how it works
UFO (are they real?)
Video game or computer related news
MMO's
Information Technology work related rantings
Race related discussions
Travel
past social movements
Asian women

J/king on that last one! kind of

Pretty much anything else I can find interesting that I can't really think of at 6:40am

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
After being expirienced with one I would definatley have to say there is some more attraction toward them.

I don't want to go into more details than that :p

OK...fair enough :) Good luck in future.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've noticed a number of INTPs with clarity of insight into the internal system of how people's minds work. One difference I have noticed is that there is more tendency to explore those systems as an external observer, whereas a "Feeling" type has more leaning to experience it alongside. There is more natural inclination in the non-T type to attempt to view it from inside through a direct connection. Those are just observations of mine and not something I can necessarily prove. There is also a distinction between understanding a system by defining and measuring it and just getting a nebulous feel for it that resists definition and measurement.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I find INTP-C as a cold cold caustic place that gives me chills down my spine whenever I visit it! It physically makes me a bit sick (maybe fear, angst, etc, not sure) But its toxic there! :cry:
Im glad the INTPs here are kind and normal :)

I had a bad experience there... first place I joined... but it was only one member... other members came to my aid when it happened. Unfortunately, it was on my Welcome thread and totally unexpected. The first experience I've ever had like it actually... shock! I'm still a member there though and, thus far, have found that bad experiences depend on what thread you enter. The are "mature" people there who do have manners and intelligence.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I really don't agree with the whole "INTP's are socially awkward" type deal. Although I haven't really met any others in real life that I know of so it may just be myself. I hate, I mean I really cant stand small talk. If I am out having a smoke, and you come up and say.. "man how bout this cold eh!?", I probably wouldn't say anything. Not because I'm scared or awkward.. but because I couldn't care less about the topic. But if you were to come up and talk about one these subjects... man I would never stfu

Anything about the Universe or how it works
UFO (are they real?)
Video game or computer related news
MMO's
Information Technology work related rantings
Race related discussions
Travel
past social movements
Asian women

J/king on that last one! kind of

Pretty much anything else I can find interesting that I can't really think of at 6:40am

I hear ya but you must realize that the weather question is a way of "breaking the ice" and quite literally in your case. (said respectfully) Opening any conversation you pointed to would appear, to the average person, as coming from an extremely strange and, possibly, dangerous person since they are not following accepted etiquette.

Note: from an INTP who has learned that people are people not sources of entertainment though that may come when "trust" is developed.

Judous

MBTI Type
INTP
I hear ya but you must realize that the weather question is a way of "breaking the ice" and quite literally in your case. (said respectfully) Opening any conversation you pointed to would appear, to the average person, as coming from an extremely strange and, possibly, dangerous person since they are not following accepted etiquette.

Note: from an INTP who has learned that people are people not sources of entertainment though that may come when "trust" is developed.

I am not to concerned with social etquette quite honestly. To me there shouldnt need to be icebreakers. If there isn't something specificly on your mind to talk about.. why talk?

This isn't to say that I only talk about these things, or its the only things that interest me. I just don't like talking for the sake of talking.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I am not to concerned with social etquette quite honestly. To me there shouldnt need to be icebreakers. If there isn't something specificly on your mind to talk about.. why talk?

This isn't to say that I only talk about these things, or its the only things that interest me. I just don't like talking for the sake of talking.

It is worth listening for one minute to see wether the talk is on a real subject or on talk. Many fascinating conversation start out plain...

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ

You miss my point... you break the ice in order to talk about something more substantial.
That's your goal isn't it? Obviously, you don't give a flip about the person you're talking to just how much entertainment they can provide you with... seems rather egocentric to me... but so be it. If you weren't willing to at least attempt to indulge my need for comfort in conversing with you, I wouldn't be interested in what you had to say either. Seems a classic INTP growth problem and I do empathize.

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
You miss my point... you break the ice in order to talk about something more substantial.
That's your goal isn't it? Obviously, you don't give a flip about the person you're talking to just how much entertainment they can provide you with... seems rather egocentric to me... but so be it. If you weren't willing to at least attempt to indulge my need for comfort in conversing with you, I wouldn't be interested in what you had to say either. Seems a classic INTP growth problem and I do empathize.

I totally agree!
This INTP I met for the first time after talking online and on phone for some time, well when we met I was naturally hesitant a bit, because I mean he was a guy from off the net after all, who knows he might be an axe murderer.

But anyways, we sat down, I smiled, adjusted my seat, let him comment on some statement I made earlier. The moment I finally was comfortable and wanted to ask him "So how are you?", he turns his face, saying "I dont have time for niceties"!! :O
I was in utter shock. He turned his face and said Im starving, you wanna order some food, then started talking about other things to get my reaction!!
I was sitting there thinking "Who are you? I dont even know you, you didnt even ACKNOWLEDGE my existence, there was no eye contact, no rapport established, and you want me to open up to you?"

So I think this 'ice breaker' you both talking about is actually ACKNOWLEDGING that the other person EXISTS! and that they are important and not merely tools you can use to gauge reactions and experiment with.
sighhh
thats my two cents worth. :)

Judous

MBTI Type
INTP

There is nothing egocentric about it, nor does it have anything to do with the person involved. Using phrases like that as an icebreaker then leading to a decent conversation I can see, and do it myeself. My point is that if someone doesn't have anything in talk about in the first place then it's pointless.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
There is nothing egocentric about it, nor does it have anything to do with the person involved. Using phrases like that as an icebreaker then leading to a decent conversation I can see, and do it myeself. My point is that if someone doesn't have anything in talk about in the first place then it's pointless.

IC... its all about compatibility then you say? Yes, there are only a handful of people who will want to talk about specific things that interest you. But you could be surprised by the wealth of subjects that might interest you when its spurred by someone with different interests. You will never know what those are unless you ask them.... after the ice breaker of course. :D Then, they may be open to learning about your interests. ;)

Judous

MBTI Type
INTP
IC... its all about compatibility then you say? Yes, there are only a handful of people who will want to talk about specific things that interest you. But you could be surprised by the wealth of subjects that might interest you when its spurred by someone with different interests. You will never know what those are unless you ask them.... after the ice breaker of course. :D Then, they may be open to learning about your interests. ;)

Im always open to learn new things. Problem is im the youngest person at my company by 10 yrs, and the icebreaker they come up with usually leads to awkward silence.

In that case, I would rather not anything be said at all.

Although if someone wants to rabble rabble rabble.. I usually don't mind that either.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I totally agree!
This INTP I met for the first time after talking online and on phone for some time, well when we met I was naturally hesitant a bit, because I mean he was a guy from off the net after all, who knows he might be an axe murderer.

But anyways, we sat down, I smiled, adjusted my seat, let him comment on some statement I made earlier. The moment I finally was comfortable and wanted to ask him "So how are you?", he turns his face, saying "I dont have time for niceties"!! :O
I was in utter shock. He turned his face and said Im starving, you wanna order some food, then started talking about other things to get my reaction!!
I was sitting there thinking "Who are you? I dont even know you, you didnt even ACKNOWLEDGE my existence, there was no eye contact, no rapport established, and you want me to open up to you?"

So I think this 'ice breaker' you both talking about is actually ACKNOWLEDGING that the other person EXISTS! and that they are important and not merely tools you can use to gauge reactions and experiment with.
sighhh
thats my two cents worth. :)

Yeah, there is really no excuse for that. I hate small talk, too, but it's a necessary part of getting to know someone. If that had happened to me, I'd have wanted to walk out of the restaurant.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Im always open to learn new things. Problem is im the youngest person at my company by 10 yrs, and the icebreaker they come up with usually leads to awkward silence.

In that case, I would rather not anything be said at all.

Although if someone wants to rabble rabble rabble.. I usually don't mind that either.

That's a tuff one. I know where you're coming from. I found, right here, that the age difference really doesn't matter though. You'll see that. But, yes, I really, really, do know. I just cannot get interested in what brand of baby diapers are best or what cleaning product is... its been a constant problem. I have, with age, learned to be gracious though and endure it to a point. I'm like you and very "I."

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I felt someone the other day. I don't mean I groped her or anything like that, I mean I had an internal feeling. I forget exactly where it was, but she was serving me behind a counter somewhere.

Is it in my head or is that how feelers feel people? I'm thinking that talking and analyzing feelers is somehow helping to develop that function in me.

Then again, I've also had other flash backs. Kind of extreme feelings of power and confidence. A couple of times I became delusional. Look ma, no drugs! Not since college anyway.