User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    This topic is making me feel like an INFP.

I just don't feel the way you seem to feel.
    I am in touch with my emotions, I know what they are, I am not afraid of them or resentful of them, they are solid and consistent, and I don't have a problem showing them to people who are good in my book.
    I'm interested in other peoples' feelings, and I empathize with them.
    I understand the importance of trying to get a point across without causing offense.
    Criticism hurts me, though I think it is necessary, and I do my best to tolerate it.
    All kinds of stuff like that. It seems that so much of what people(including other INTPs) say about INTP feelings is different from mine.
    All interesting in itself and I feel like that's what I've been fighting to say this whole time myself. Except for the criticism thing, which I didn't even consider at the time but would align with you on. I would say that, while diplomacy is a vital trait, if the choice came down to a vital truth delivered a "harsh" way or not said at all, I always try to choose truth and then mitigate the pain in follow-up. I really think that's all type is: a tendency in how to view and do things when life puts us in rather "either-or" situations, but mostly we all have the ability to choose on a gradient and balanced people try to stay away from utter extremes.
    "The subject chooses to sit in shadow and search for wisdom by reflecting upon his trial. The problem is not that he is cold and wet, but that cold and wet seems problematic, so he embraces those hardships in order to best them."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    This topic is making me feel like an INFP.

I just don't feel the way you seem to feel.
    I am in touch with my emotions, I know what they are, I am not afraid of them or resentful of them, they are solid and consistent, and I don't have a problem showing them to people who are good in my book.
    I'm interested in other peoples' feelings, and I empathize with them.
    I understand the importance of trying to get a point across without causing offense.
    Criticism hurts me, though I think it is necessary, and I do my best to tolerate it.
    All kinds of stuff like that. It seems that so much of what people(including other INTPs) say about INTP feelings is different from mine.

I still think I'm an INTP because I have never, ever gotten INFP as a test result, and ultimately find the INTP descriptions closer to me than the rest, but I'm feeling like sort of a third path.

I may call myself INIP or INBP in accordance with Enneagram theory.
    Hmm.... I'm not sure I'd go all the way to INFP just yet. You may not be an INTP, but you could still be an ENTP or INTJ. Both of those types are often more in touch with their feelings than INTP. I've seen some of them who actually mistake themselves for F's. I know some ENTP's can go through an Introverted period, and I know that some INTJ's can be very sentimental inside, and aren't very J.

I'd suggest re-reading ENTP or INTJ descriptions to see if you get more resonance from those. It could simply be the difference between tertiary and inferior Feeling. And a tertiary function is usually a lot stronger than an inferior one... at least in my experience.

Also, it could be that you're reading something into the descriptions of INTP feeling that isn't really there... perhaps it seems colder or less human than it really is, somehow?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Okay so we have what three INTPs who so far seem different because we care and have sensitivity... I fail to see the problem.

Could it be we three are positive feedback people?
    Could it be based on our enneagram (I know Magicky P is a 1, I'm a 9, similar in some respects)
    Could it be that we were all raised in an F environment and hence have picked it up/ learned it?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Isn't that precisely the reason why the maul hits so hard? Too much thinking about division and not enough thinking about the integration.
    Maybe.
    In the post 67 I did not mean you personally.
    Besides, I am also INTP.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Maybe.
    In the post 67 I did not mean you personally.
    Besides, I am also INTP.
    I rather thought your thinking poignant on that post. I was just pointing out that perhaps your thinking is stopping within the INTP paramemeters and so extended the thinking further.

I think I can say with high probability that I'm not sure if your origional thinking was more correct or if I've expanded it in the correct direction. As always I expect to find out when and if it's relevant

Wait for it... wait for it..... OUCH! Oh yes it's a maul

MBTI
    INTP

I rather thought your thinking poignant on that post. I was just pointing out that perhaps your thinking is stopping within the INTP paramemeters and so extended the thinking further.

I think I can say with high probability that I'm not sure if your origional thinking was more correct or if I've expanded it in the correct direction. As always I expect to find out when and if it's relevant

Wait for it... wait for it..... OUCH! Oh yes it's a maul
    I am not wise.

How do I become wise?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    I am not wise.

How do I become wise?
    Congratulations, your race is lost. You had already won.

#1 "A wise man loses a piece of certainty everyday"
    and
    #2 something about the truly wise know they are not wise... or something like that.

MBTI
    INTP

Congratulations, your race is lost. You had already won.

#1 "A wise man loses a piece of certainty everyday"
    and
    #2 something about the truly wise know they are not wise... or something like that.
    I have lost more than a piece.
    Needless to say the police is worthless.
    They do nothing to find my stolen goods.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Priam View Post
    All interesting in itself and I feel like that's what I've been fighting to say this whole time myself. Except for the criticism thing, which I didn't even consider at the time but would align with you on. I would say that, while diplomacy is a vital trait, if the choice came down to a vital truth delivered a "harsh" way or not said at all, I always try to choose truth and then mitigate the pain in follow-up. I really think that's all type is: a tendency in how to view and do things when life puts us in rather "either-or" situations, but mostly we all have the ability to choose on a gradient and balanced people try to stay away from utter extremes.
    I align with you and with Magic's list.

With the scenario you describe, I would probably have to say something... I would simply say it in the least volatile way possible. Because I know if I did not, just in order to avoid emotional hurt, I would not be able to live with myself.

(That has been the long lesson of my life: My attempts to sacrifice "truth" to keep the peace and not hurt feelings has just eaten away at me inside. I can't do it anymore.)

I trust my own capacity more today to mitigate pain, as you said, after it occurs... so I can afford to be more honest.

This all being said, the INTPs I have met in real life actually have not been much like the disaffected or cynical types I've often met on INTPc.

Literally every one of them has been kind, gentle, concerned about the feelings of others, whimsical, a bit self-depricating, and so forth.

This doesn't mean they were not subject to the pitfalls of the type -- they still tended to play devil's advocate or joke too much in situations where people's feelings could get hurt, for example -- and they were still sometimes very critical of social attitudes and mentalities especially if those things encroached upon their freedom, but they were all good-natured and did not have an intention of mistrust or spite for others.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    This all being said, the INTPs I have met in real life actually have not been much like the disaffected or cynical types I've often met on INTPc.

Literally every one of them has been kind, gentle, concerned about the feelings of others, whimsical, a bit self-depricating, and so forth.
    Quoted in agreement.