User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 122

  1. #11
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    You really think so? That sounds like an ISTJ to me.
    I have never thought of INTPs as people that run by a taught script.
    Neither did I. I would have assumed that could be any ISxJ. I've always seen INTP's as good improvisers, who occasionally don't "get" how their ideas will be taken.

  2. #12
    Senior Member htb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    It's an analogy, you two.

    There has to be someone with real-life experience with INTPs who recognizes this. One moment, they are laughing, interacting -- indistinguishable from the rest. Ask them the wrong question, and they're stultified.

  3. #13
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Neither did I. I would have assumed that could be any ISxJ. I've always seen INTP's as good improvisers, who occasionally don't "get" how their ideas will be taken.
    But his phrase "monotone" makes it seem more like an ISTJ than a ISFJ.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  4. #14
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    It's an analogy, you two.

    There has to be someone with real-life experience with INTPs who recognizes this. One moment, they are laughing, interacting -- indistinguishable from the rest. Ask them the wrong question, and they're stultified.
    Hmmm.
    I'm trying to look back into my past.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  5. #15
    Senior Member Gabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    I have been told by many people that I am remarkably good at understanding others, and that I can explicate that understanding in a clear and concise manner. Consequently, I have frequently acted in a counselor capacity to others, and I am acutely aware that this often involves conscious and calculated manipulation. This is not nefarious or ill-intended manipulation, but nonetheless I do intend to manipulate the emotional state and thoughts of others, and do so quite successfully, or so I am told.

    In fact, I am fascinated by people, their emotions, feelings, customs, habits, predelictions, theories, incentives, motives, etc. and have invested a great deal of time studying morality and ethics. For example, some would say that I am interested in economics, but this is not quite right. Instead, I am interested in the relationships which hold between people, their well-being, conduct and the social rules which govern that. My attitude is like that of Adam Smith, who never considered himself an economist, but rather a moral philosopher.

    The purpose of my writing this, is to draw attention to the fact that INTPs are often said to be uninterested, or even incapable of dealing with these issues. This view, which perhaps aligns with the common assumption that reason and emotion are inherently incompatible, with each reigning over seperate magisteria, is at odds with my life, interests, hobbies, attitude and personal experience.

    There is, perhaps, a source of this confusion, in that INTPs frequently appear to be socially incompetent and awkward. There is some truth in this for me. I am not always aware of social trends, local customs, and my absent-mindedness frequently is interpreted as rudeness. I also often choose to avoid many social engagements. Moreover, I can be somewhat undiplomatic, intentionally so, and many mistake this for not understanding the "appropriate" behaviour.

    Anyway, I was just posting to see if anyone else had any similar experiences. In any case, I think it is a persistent myth that those who test INTP are both emotionally and socially as deaf, dumb and blind as many suggest.

    (Note: I almost always test as an INTP, very occasionally as ENTP or INTJ).

    Ok then, today's assigned reading will be (from the amazon search-inside feature of course. Of course, buying the book would be even better)- "inferior feeling of the introverted thinking type" in Psychotherapy, by Von Franz.

  6. #16
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Aficionados of music include the tone-deaf.

    Three people I know well, who are more or less confirmed INTPs, are remarkably similar: independent, idiosyncratic, outwardly mild, puzzled by human relations and to whom anger or intensity could be classified as extrinsic. INTPs aren't necessarily deficient interpersonally because they are inclined to pure logic; I don't know the cause but am acutely aware of the condition.
    I'd have said the "deficiency" is more related to an obsession with thought rather than a disinterest in other things. It's not so much that people are pushed away but there's just not so much room when you've got all that thinking to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Let me grasp for another analogy: an INTP pushed beyond what he's been taught is like a poor improviser forced to deviate from the script that he had well-rehearsed. There's nothing quite like the sudden monotone of an INTP who must relationally ad-lib.
    Lack of confidence in the ability to be competent at the task at hand. Oh and many people describe me as hesitant. Not sure why I am but I like forewarning of events so I can kinda psych myself up for them.

    If someone suggests going out one evening (as some swine has planned for Saturday) then I try to ensure that I spend lots of time doing fun stuff so when the time comes to go out I'm not dragging my heels wishing I could stay in cause I've got soo much stuff to do.

    Yeah it is kinda odd. P, very flexible in the sense of thinking but not so flexible in the sense of action.
    Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Hexchild, from INTPc, matched these three in the autobiographical information he provided. At one point he noted that he understood relationships as static, as if they were code or statute; and that a change couldn't be perceived, or even conjectured, but only announced by the other. One of my three, an INTP to whom I was once quite close, disclosed the same mechanical process. We were settling a stillborn romance -- the discussion my initiative, of course -- and I defended an acerbic statement I'd made in front of others. She thought I was still angry. I said I wasn't; and as if she were reformatting a disk, or replacing a link to a cascading style sheet, she replied, "then I'll no longer assume you're acting out of a grudge." Damnedest thing.
    That's odd. Can't say I've ever behaved like that. I tend to take people as they are at that moment. Even those who I've got good reason to think are against me I've been perfectly nice to unless given reason to act differently at that point in time.

    Oh well chalk another difference up with INTPs.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  7. #17
    Senior Member Priam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Lack of confidence in the ability to be competent at the task at hand. Oh and many people describe me as hesitant. Not sure why I am but I like forewarning of events so I can kinda psych myself up for them.

    If someone suggests going out one evening (as some swine has planned for Saturday) then I try to ensure that I spend lots of time doing fun stuff so when the time comes to go out I'm not dragging my heels wishing I could stay in cause I've got soo much stuff to do.
    Amen. I'll agree to do something a week out, then find myself muttering on the night of about how I just got those cool new movies and I wanted to read about such-and-such on Wikipedia, oh! and what about that book I'm in the middle of? The social event becomes an extraordinarily low priority..

    That's odd. Can't say I've ever behaved like that. I tend to take people as they are at that moment. Even those who I've got good reason to think are against me I've been perfectly nice to unless given reason to act differently at that point in time.

    Oh well chalk another difference up with INTPs.
    I'll agree with this, too. While there are a small number of people I definitely try to avoid, I rarely do so out of a strong personal dislike or angry grudge. I am just consciously aware that they have been toxic in the past. However, should I bump into them, I am honestly open to dialogue that proves me in error. Other friends? I am usually the one who FIRST picks up a change in attitude or conduct and adjusts accordingly. I do fall into the INTP stereotype of being extraordinarily direct and open, thus being quite willing to make a statement of recalibration like the girlfriend example, but that is an exception to the rule of my life.

    I'm one cup of coffee short of full consciousness, so someone tell me if that makes sense.

  8. #18
    Member ms_ambivalence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    It's an analogy, you two.

    There has to be someone with real-life experience with INTPs who recognizes this. One moment, they are laughing, interacting -- indistinguishable from the rest. Ask them the wrong question, and they're stultified.
    INTP can act as a bit of a chameleon in relationships mirroring back emotional contemnet of other people especially in conversations about something they care about.

    I can think of many things that would have me go from laughing and open to quiet and brooding in a heartbeat, and can see where an INTP who isn't as social as I am might appear stultified

    believing you are trying to press, well just about anything , on them

    not thinking you would really want to hear what they have to say on the subject

    avoiding the knee jerk reaction of lashing out cruely

    maybe even believing that whatever you asked was none of your business

    either way I can't imagine how hard it would be on them to appear innefectual and foolish if they are INTP
    work smarter, not harder

  9. #19
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ms_ambivalence View Post
    I can think of many things that would have me go from laughing and open to quiet and brooding in a heartbeat, and can see where an INTP who isn't as social as I am might appear stultified

    believing you are trying to press, well just about anything , on them

    not thinking you would really want to hear what they have to say on the subject

    avoiding the knee jerk reaction of lashing out cruely

    maybe even believing that whatever you asked was none of your business

    either way I can't imagine how hard it would be on them to appear innefectual and foolish if they are INTP
    That sounds like a comprehensive list. And it's kind of understandable that they might react that way in seeing those situations... I might well either subtly insult the person, or (more likely) take on an irritated tone to give them the impression that this is not something they want to talk to me about unless it's absolutely necessary, while offering a change of subject. I can imagine an INTP in particular wanting to avoid such behavior.

    On the other hand, there are probably fewer situations that make me feel that way than with an INTP.

  10. #20
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    I went to the cafe.

    I said coffee.
    I did not have the coffee.

    I said what is it now.
    She said you don't say coffee in this establishment. You say coffee please.

    Ok.

    I said coffee please.
    If she says I have to crawl on the floor, I crawl on the floor.
    Big deal.
    The main thing is to have the coffee.

Similar Threads

  1. [INTP] INTPs and Feelings
    By ExAstrisSpes in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-13-2010, 06:33 PM
  2. [INTP] INTPs and feeling uncomfortable
    By goodgrief in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 07:39 AM
  3. [INTP] Anxiety and the INTP
    By Verfremdungseffekt in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 12-11-2009, 10:40 PM
  4. [INTP] INTPs and feelings.
    By jixmixfix in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 10-30-2009, 11:14 PM
  5. [INTP] Jules and Kamala - The INTP version of 'love' (hehehe)
    By Misty_Mountain_Rose in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-23-2009, 12:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO