User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Default NTs (esp ENTP) influence from physical surroundings?

Hey all

I have the book 'Personality Type - An Owner's Manual' by Lenore Thompson (actually have lost the book at home so thank goodness for Google Books! - Personality type: an owner's manual - Google Books) and took the test in the front of the book, already knowing I am ENTP but somehow can't resist taking one of these tests!

Anyway most of the questions on these tests are quite transparent in their wording in that you can tell whether they are leaning towards 'J' or 'P' etc (not to mention on this one you score it yourself according to the details given!) but was a bit thrown by one question meant to distinguish N from S so wondered if anyone Ns/NTs had any further thoughts on this.

The wording of the question is that "My physical surroundings are important to me and affect how I feel" (S) or "Atmosphere isn't all that important to me if I like what I'm doing" (N), we have to choose one from these options.

My reason for asking is I am strongly 'N' and this was reflected on most of the answers but this particular question was one I had quite a strong response to, on the 'S' side, I am very influenced by the physical environment, for example:
    - I am extremely messy at home although frequently feel constrained by mess in that I can't do stuff while there is all this mess around
    - Was at boarding school and had a room whilst there which (without going into too much long boring detail) due to features of the room itself and control I had over it, was able to do a lot of 'creative' stuff there and feel very strongly even now that it was due to the environment - to the extent that I have since tried to re-create it elsewhere.
    - The beach etc as a way of 'opening up' ideas for projects etc
    -- and so it goes on..

I am not sure about this question as to the validity of N/S, admittedly just based on my experience (I answered almost 100% of the other N/S questions in the way "expected" for a strong iNtuitive type, my Ne is very dominant) so does anyone else have a similar thing (influence from environment) and do you think this is a valid N/S question?

It seems to me it's more of an I/E question if anything though I could be wrong on this (I don't understand these introverts despite the fact I used to think I was one myself! )

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

It certainly applies to me. Whether that says it's a I, N, T, or P thing I don't know.

I can see why they said it was an S/N thing though.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I'd think Ne and Se would be very much influenced by environment, and Si and Ni would not be.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I gave the N response to that question. Most of the time I'm not a big atmosphere junkie. If I'm going out to a restaurant, ambience doesn't seem as important to me as it does some other people. I just want a good tasting meal, courteous and efficient service, a clean restaurant, and enjoy the company of who I'm with. I don't care that much about the restaurant's decor and the like although if the restaurant has an exceptionally good ambience, that is a plus.

When I'm doing something I enjoy, I kind of ignore my surroundings in the process, so at that point I don't really care if the decor is aestetically pleasing or not.

But I don't totally ignore my physical surroundings and it would be wrong to say they have no importance at all. I'm sensitive to temperature in environment for example and if I'm too hot or too cold, it distracts me from the enjoyment of what I'm doing.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    SEXY

Ow yes, physical surroundings make such a big difference. I always pick up the energy of the place I'm in. Sound (I'm very auditive) is the biggest factor for me, but other things in my surroundings make such a big difference as to what I will do and feel.
    (removed)

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

yeah i'd agree that's a bad item on type tests - seems like it might lead to a lot of false positives of S preference as you suggested. A lot of the items suck, to be honest, but i'll be damned if i'm gonna be the one to come up with better ones

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Sounds more E/I to me too. My physical surroundings are important to me and do affect how I feel.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

ya, I like atmospheres a lot. Like nostalgic pubs or blissful holidays, or even just getting up early in the city with the sunlight and people hurrying around, looking important. I'd rather do something boring in a cool place than something interesting in a dinky little office. It's the main reason I don't like doing work at home, I'll take an hour bus ride instead just to avoid it.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Thanks for all the responses, confirms I am not the only one thinking this question is a bit odd!

Actually the whole premise of the test seems strange, as the book is very much 'Function' (Ne etc) based and groups the types on this basis, whereas the test is a standard (but more detailed than the usual online ones) E/I, F/T etc dichotomy.

Someone needs to make (if not already) a test that identifies the functions, rather than the 'letter' preferences as such... though I'm not sure what kind of questions could be asked to determine such a thing :confused:

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    Ow yes, physical surroundings make such a big difference. I always pick up the energy of the place I'm in. Sound (I'm very auditive) is the biggest factor for me, but other things in my surroundings make such a big difference as to what I will do and feel.
    This is true for me as well. My physical surroundings do affect me, I think the difference is that sometimes I'm not always aware of the effect on me.

It can take me awhile to figure out I'm in a pissy mood from the mess in the house. I'll avoid going into rooms that are too messy/dirty for my liking and then I can't do things I need to do and then I'm annoyed without fully realizing why.

And this happens with a lot of things, if there are noises that distract me in a certain building I'll have a slight undercurrent of irritation but it's not immediate why.