First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Intuition is a synonym for pretentiousness

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Think of it this way. Divide cognition in its totality into conscious cognition and non-conscious cognition.

Non-conscious cognition is S and N. Conscious cognition is T and F.

Imagine T and F (judgment) being fed a tape of data to make conclusions about. The tape contains S and N stuff (perceiving). Everything on the tape that's about a thing is S, everything that's not about a thing is N. On the judgment side, all conclusions that are true/false/works/doesn't work are T and everything else is F (good/bad/appropriate/inappropriate).

So yeah, intuition is just non-conscious abstract cognition.

Edit: and if you want to talk about intuition types, they're just the people that tend to have less thing-oriented stuff on their tape. Sensing types have more thing-oriented stuff on their tape.

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

All good distinctions between intuition and sensory, but I'll add my two cents:

S: More comfortable with the real and known
    N: More comfortable with the mysterious and unknown

Actually, that may have made things more confusing. Nevermind. Carry on.

EDIT: Or yeah, what Evan said. That's like a LOT clearer.
    Last edited by SecondBest; 08-20-2010 at 11:22 PM. Reason: reply to Evan

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

N is more comfortable relying on gut-feelings, rather than what they can sense around their environment.

S is more comfortable relying on what they make sense out of their environment, rather than gut-feelings.

That is, if you want it to be defined this simply.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Blown Ghost View Post
    MBTI newbie here trying to figure out what intuition is. If sensing types favor instinctual sight/sound/touch/taste/smell what does that leave intuition to be exactly?
    Intuition is about abstract, general ideas; while sensing is about concrete facts. Sensing provides the dots, intuition connects them.
    Whenever you are trying to understand or explain a concept, you're probably shifting from facts/examples to generalities and back.

Intuition:
    Using symbols and metaphors.
    Creating new recipes from existing ones.
    Mixing lizards and bats into dragons, improving men into elves or superhumans... in short, imagination(*).

(*) With which I don't want to imply Sensors have no imagination. Of course they have. Even the most extreme Sensors use some intuition to generalize, understand and discuss abstract concepts,... The opposite is true, too. To use the dragon example: it needed the concrete "lizard" and "bat" dots!
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Possibilities, connections and imagination.

The senses see the nice man in the jacket standing around looking innocent.
    Intuition 'see' the nice man in the jacket may not be a nice man in a jacket after all.

There is only one of two truths. The nice man in the jacket is really just a nice man in a jacket or the nice man in the jacket is really an awful man who does unlawful things.

Added conclusion.
    You walk to the man and ask him for some of his unlawful goodies. The man looks at you as if you just insulted him and walks away. Sensors win. The man was just a nice man in a jacket. You look like an idiot.
    That's all good Ni wise, but not so much Ne.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Think of it this way. Divide cognition in its totality into conscious cognition and non-conscious cognition.

Non-conscious cognition is S and N. Conscious cognition is T and F.

Imagine T and F (judgment) being fed a tape of data to make conclusions about. The tape contains S and N stuff (perceiving). Everything on the tape that's about a thing is S, everything that's not about a thing is N. On the judgment side, all conclusions that are true/false/works/doesn't work are T and everything else is F (good/bad/appropriate/inappropriate).

So yeah, intuition is just non-conscious abstract cognition.
    What you've said there about the tape sounds right. Intuition/Sensing describes what is being recorded. Intuition records patterns, possibilities, ideas and is hence more imaginative and people using it will seem random. Sensing records concrete, usable facts and senses (eg. taste, colour, smell). However, Sensor can learn abstract information, just like an Intuitive can learn facts, it just has to be translated and then recorded I guess.

(sorry evan, I didn't like the way you worded it ) + Conclusions stuff between F and T is brilliant

lol, here's a random example I accidently made of intuition versus sensing:
    person 1 (ISFJ):woke up this morning in a country without a government, hah!
    person 2 (ISTJ):I woke up this morning and heard a disturbing sound...
    person 3 (????):I woke up in the morning feeling like P-Diddy...
    Me:I was in the biggest army, the world had ever seen

ya see, the lyric before that goes: "I woke up this morning with the strangest dream", but without really thinking at all, I jumped to the second lyric and assumed people knew what the first lyric was. My parents (both sensors) told me off for doing that for the first half of my life, and I still do it all the time lol.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

N "reads between the lines". It looks for the context in which something was said or written.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    Possibilities, connections and imagination.

The senses see the nice man in the jacket standing around looking innocent.
    Intuition 'see' the nice man in the jacket may not be a nice man in a jacket after all.

There is only one of two truths. The nice man in the jacket is really just a nice man in a jacket or the nice man in the jacket is really an awful man who does unlawful things.

Added conclusion.
    You walk to the man and ask him for some of his unlawful goodies. The man looks at you as if you just insulted him and walks away. Sensors win. The man was just a nice man in a jacket. You look like an idiot.
    ni answer how funny...ne answer would be more...hmm...i wonder why he's wearing that jacket...where'd he come from and where's he going...i wonder if it's typical for him to dress that way...does it fit his character or is he playing a part right now? maybe he does this____ for a living...maybe his life is like that__he might struggle with this and be very good at that...and on and on...

actually i guess that's a whole nefi thing there not just ne.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by angell_m View Post
    literally, everything else. you just know without really trying. it's a bit like hocus pocus.

"Intuition is the ability to acquire knowledge without inference or the use of reason." - wiki

N: "Something tells me God exists."
    S: "God exists because the bible says so."
    I'm assuming you are joking here.

S It's more like What I see/hear/taste/smell/feel tells me God exists.