• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Te] Can Te be wrong?

Blown Ghost

MBTI Type
ESFP
I've just learned about cognitive functions and this is the definition of the "Te" function:

Ordering; organizing for efficiency; systematzing; aplying logic; structuring; checking for consequences; monitoring for standards or specifications being met; setting boundaries, guidelines, and parameters, deciding if something isworking or not.

So if Te is systematic and automatically adjusts with it's own checks and balances, can it be wrong? What would cause the Te function to make mistakes?

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP
Structuring, monitoring, parameters, HAH. These intangible creations are only as valid as the information used to build them. The information used here is obtained through what is observed, not what is. If anything, I imagine it would be highly susceptible to errors, but these can be fixed as they appear. Add in degrees of uncertainty and you end up with something resembling a chaotic mess with a clearly defined present.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Incorrect input and data would cause Te to make mistakes, as Bear said.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Incorrect input and data would cause Te to make mistakes, as Bear said.

Te can make too fast judgments about things causing it to make false judgments. I have also noticed that Te can sometimes(or with some Te users) see things too black and white and thinking that something is black or white, when its really gray

Usually its the perceiving function that is wrong tho because it might build an opinion about something without having all the data it really needs.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
What do you mean... wrong? Te users don't look for the "right" way, they look for the "best" way to do something, out of the options they are given. As soon as the options change or new information comes in, you reassess and make a different decision. Obviously if you don't have enough information or your Te is not very well developed, you won't make a good decision (by your own Te standards). That is no different than any of the judging functions....

Blown Ghost

MBTI Type
ESFP
What do you mean... wrong? Te users don't look for the "right" way, they look for the "best" way to do something, out of the options they are given. As soon as the options change or new information comes in, you reassess and make a different decision. Obviously if you don't have enough information or your Te is not very well developed, you won't make a good decision (by your own Te standards). That is no different than any of the judging functions....

Exactly what I mean. To say any other way but the best way is the "right" way is crazy to me. So if the system takes the best pick of the available options and automatically adjusts itself to make better selections as time goes on, how wrong could it possibly be?

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
TBH I have more problems deciphering how Te is ever "right"

What would make it wrong? Reality is more important than what Ti thinks should be reality.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Structuring, monitoring, parameters, HAH. These intangible creations are only as valid as the information used to build them. The information used here is obtained through what is observed, not what is. If anything, I imagine it would be highly susceptible to errors, but these can be fixed as they appear. Add in degrees of uncertainty and you end up with something resembling a chaotic mess with a clearly defined present.
This is it.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
tert Te is good at being wrong :)

no, i should clarify. i used to think subjective = internal = illogical and objective = external = logical. i have been made more aware recently that this is not true, but it is still an automatic tendency to associate them. so i have gotten very frustrated with Ti, because it's not always particularly clear to me. i really seek external clarity and organization and it bothers me when something that when, in something i think should be organized - ie, something rational - it does not appear to be present.

yet it is a mistake to assume that because organization is not clear, it is not present.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Can Te be wrong?"

Sure. Frequently in my experience.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So if Te is systematic and automatically adjusts with it's own checks and balances, can it be wrong?

According to a Te-dom who I had a talk with today, no ;)

rav3n

Ni can lead Te astray or it can lead it to something new and unique.

Lark

I've just learned about cognitive functions and this is the definition of the "Te" function:

Ordering; organizing for efficiency; systematzing; aplying logic; structuring; checking for consequences; monitoring for standards or specifications being met; setting boundaries, guidelines, and parameters, deciding if something isworking or not.

So if Te is systematic and automatically adjusts with it's own checks and balances, can it be wrong? What would cause the Te function to make mistakes?

In so far as Te amounts to consequential thinking I reckon it wont ever be wrong and there should be a lot more of it, unfortunately neuro-psychologists and others have concluded that maturation means its not exhibited by most people until their early twenties, at the very least, sometimes even later.

So bascially by the time you've mastered it if you're unlucky you could have kids, mortgage, partner, responsibilities and duties you dont want, not a wonder there's so many people in crisis huh?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In essence perhaps not. But one of the common flaws of Te is that it's used when it shouldn't be. When it isn't the best tool for the situation. And...due to its directiveness and urge to seek control over the situation..it doesn't always realize that ;)

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6

I think your first problem here is that this definition of Te sucks. The functions are motivations, not opinions, skill sets or whatever. A Te user may do all of things described - but that isn't Te. That's just how they've learned to handle problems.

Te is just a urge to respond to the problems and challenges of the world. It's focus tends to be logistical or at least none social (That's more Fe). Thus a ESTJ warehouse manager may do all of those things, but Te is the urge to get the job done well, rather than how they go about it.