• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] The INTP Appreciation Thread

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I have a theory that different cultures are predisposed to be of a certain personaility type. Italians are on the whole ENFPs, Japanese INFJs, British INTPs, Indians INTJs.
Could you puhlease make this true. Britain becoming INTP would rock.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Could you puhlease make this true. Britain becoming INTP would rock.

Obviously not everyone is going to be the same time type. I'm talking on the whole.

Melancholic and stoical with an often whacky sense of humor. I would say that's intp.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
And I don't think you INTP's have a "wacky" sense of humor.

British nonsense, cold sophisticated humor rather look ENTP. Check the Monty Pythons, for instance... :D

IMHO, the way INTP's express themselves rather looks close to South Park: crude, puerile, childish, and sometimes genuinely hilarious (But I could be wrong...).

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP

British nonsense, cold sophisticated humor rather look ENTP. Check the Monty Pythons, for instance... :D

IMHO, the way INTP's express themselves rather looks close to South Park: crude, puerile, childish, and sometimes genuinely hilarious (But I could be wrong...).

lol...something tells me you just DONT like INTPs :p
Btw...this is the "Appreciation" thread, not the "Why we hate INTP" thread. ;)

But shoot away...im learning a lot from ur input :D

Judous

MBTI Type
INTP

/cough

I don't do that..

>.>

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
lol...something tells me you just DONT like INTPs :p
Btw...this is the "Appreciation" thread, not the "Why we hate INTP" thread. ;)

But shoot away...im learning a lot from ur input :D

No. The immature teens who are rampaging INTP-central are victims somehow, it's not their fault. Everybody hate them (sometimes with good reasons, alas... ), and they hugely suffer in daily life because of their social awkwardness. They are mean because people are mean with them, it's a defensive response. And the vocal minority on INTP-central is not very clever nor subtle, they would be banned everywhere else (they are very young). Indeed, their kind of humor is very close to South Park, very gremlin-like, very primitive.

No, what I would really enjoy, would be to find healthy INTPs instead, INTPs who would have grown-up and really trained their intelligence and knowledges. INTPs who would prove how deeply interesting this type can be.

Some of my close friends are like that, so I know this is possible. We all know INTPs like that (whether friends, lovers, siblings or parents), so let's offer them a space to socially interact!

Rhu

Morlock
MBTI Type
Pfft
So a man walks into a bar and orders up a double whiskey, and tips the bartender generously to keep them coming. The bartender asks why.

"It's Bessie, man! She weighs two tons, she's mean, and she packs a powerful wallop."

A black male is standing near the bar, and overhears this conversation. His race and sex aren't actually important to this story, but I thought I'd mention it just to be detailed and descriptive. That's what everyone says they like about Stephen King. He's really great, so they say. Anyway, this is what the guy said, "I'm very sorry about your wife, stranger. A toast to the drowning of sorrows!"

The first guy looks at the second guy confused for a moment. At length, he replies, "I'm talking about my new truck, and I'm celebrating!"

The second guy says, letting a thin wisp of smoke escape from his lips as he stares with eyes that suddenly seem to have no lids at the first fellow, forgetting the pale yellow draft of Coors Light in his hand, "You ran over your wife! Holy crap! I'm even more sorry! I'll buy you a drink!"

"..." says the first guy, for that is the only constructive thing he could say to the other guy. He then wanders off to inspect the pool tables, gleefully proclaiming the Good News about how his truck has given him new life.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
No. The immature teens who are rampaging INTP-central are victims somehow, it's not their fault. Everybody hate them (sometimes with good reasons, alas... ), and they hugely suffer in daily life because of their social awkwardness. They are mean because people are mean with them, it's a defensive response. And the vocal minority on INTP-central is not very clever nor subtle, they would be banned everywhere else (they are very young). Indeed, their kind of humor is very close to South Park, very gremlin-like, very primitive.

No, what I would really enjoy, would be to find healthy INTPs instead, INTPs who would have grown-up and really trained their intelligence and knowledges. INTPs who would prove how deeply interesting this type can be.

Some of my close friends are like that, so I know this is possible. We all know INTPs like that (whether friends, lovers, siblings or parents), so let's offer them a space to socially interact!

I agree with that... I left there thanks to some members here who saw I didn't fit there.

On the second part, thing is, even here those INTPs who don't fit that INTPc stereotype don't come off as INTPs to others. I was just repped and told I was thought to be an INFP. So what you have is, if you're older or have developed some manners, whatever, you won't be thought of as INTP. Its amazing to me. I've, at times, wanted to be something else just because of the reputation and because we tend to get, senselessly, beat up... guess I, finally, got my wish.. false or not. :D

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I agree with that... I left there thanks to some members here who saw I didn't fit there.

On the second part, thing is, even here those INTPs who don't fit that INTPc stereotype don't come off as INTPs to others. I was just repped and told I was thought to be an INFP. So what you have is, if you're older or have developed some manners, whatever, you won't be thought of as INTP. Its amazing to me. I've, at times, wanted to be something else just because of the reputation and because we tend to get, senselessly, beat up... guess I, finally, got my wish.. false or not. :D

Amen to that. A friend of mine once described mature INTP's as very hard to type. I see that as a compliment. :)

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
What you say of these:
INTP's are most likely to be annoyed for trying to figure out their type (in real life). They are most likely to say they can be of any type if they only want to be. ;) INTP's are prone to test people in every way just to see their reaction for their experiment.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
What you say of these:
INTP's are most likely to be annoyed for trying to figure out their type (in real life). They are most likely to say they can be of any type if they only want to be. ;) INTP's are prone to test people in every way just to see their reaction for their experiment.

touché! :D
However, we do become mature ... eventually ;)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
What you say of these:

Heh, I think it is more likely that INTP is the type most people claim regardless of what their actual type is. ;)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Obviously not everyone is going to be the same time type. I'm talking on the whole.

Melancholic and stoical with an often whacky sense of humor. I would say that's intp.
Unfortunately no. We're more ISTJ. Hence the extreme amounts of hoops you have to jump through. The reason no one fusses much about those hoops is because to the ISTJ mind it's easy, almost off hand. To those of us who yearn to be free of endless paperwork and supposed toos though it's all to obvious.

The best way of illustrating it is by looking into the whole thing of tradition and expectations. If the majority were INTPs I'd expect most of them to disappear.

Hmm my father once said he thought John Cleese was an INTP. Still can't see it myself.

The INTP humour is definitely left field and wacky. Of course it would depend on what you think is wacky...
What you say of these:
Ooo I loved the revelation. My father tested me when I was 18 and declared "Aha!". The thing I don't like is when people think they have me figured out. I have the ENFP reaction to that "How can you say you have me figured out? I don't have me figured out!!"
:D
:shock: Why would one want to claim to be INTP?
Somehow people have associated intelligence with INTPs. Something to do with the prominent INTP traits bearing high similarity to someone who is very cerebral.

A implies B people... :rolleyes:

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
Somehow people have associated intelligence with INTPs. Something to do with the prominent INTP traits bearing high similarity to someone who is very cerebral.

A implies B people... :rolleyes:

Very odd indeed. Irl, I'm seen as cerebral and rather harshly criticized for it. People get really creative coming up with ways to attack "who" I am.... and yet they want to be like me? I'm not sure this is the reason. So maybe you're saying they don't really want to be like me... just appear to be. I have found it amazing how many INTPs there appear to be on the pertinent groups when their numbers in the population is supposed to be so small.... so still mulling this over. I was interested when someone said a mature INTP is the hardest to guess the type of. Maybe if there were more of those the picture would become clearer.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Hmm my father once said he thought John Cleese was an INTP. Still can't see it myself.

The INTP humour is definitely left field and wacky. Of course it would depend on what you think is wacky...

I don't know what type Cleese is, but I think the Python humor definitely appeals to the INTP personality, as does Blackadder. It's silly, yet extremely clever.

I think MST3K is very INTP-like humor. I'd be surprised if those guys weren't mostly INTPs.

skip

MBTI Type
INTP
MST3K is my kind of humor although I don't think it's limited to INTPs. The guy who introduced me to it was ENTP. I also like Conan O'Brien, and even Eric McCormack (in the W&G outtakes). They're both intelligent people with impressively quick wits.