• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] The INTP Appreciation Thread

Priam

MBTI Type
INTP
One one one INTP's are my favorite type to have a conversation with. In groups it can take a while before you realize that INTP's are intolerable. (And no I am not referring to INTPc.) INTP's shine when they are solo.

What do you mean "intolerable"?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Maybe sorta like "so brilliantly radiant [or radiantly brilliant?] that mortal beings cannot look at us and live."

Yeah. That.

Priam

MBTI Type
INTP
Maybe sorta like "so brilliantly radiant [or radiantly brilliant?] that mortal beings cannot look at us and live."

Yeah. That.

I'd also be willing to accept that, like the Great Old Ones of days before days, to merely look at us is to know madness and despair.

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Jennifer Rl'yeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd also be willing to accept that, like the Great Old Ones of days before days, to merely look at us is to know madness and despair.

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Jennifer Rl'yeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"

Wow, I love you!

(Come 'ere and gimme a big hug with those omnipotent slavering tentacle thingies of yours!)

O

Oberon

I think it's that whole "I've got it all worked out and flowcharted in my head and because what you're proposing (or heaven forbid doing) isn't on the chart, you're absolutely wrong and I have no use for you" thing.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's that whole "I've got it all worked out and flowcharted in my head and because what you're proposing (or heaven forbid doing) isn't on the chart, you're absolutely wrong and I have no use for you" thing.
Honestly, that's more INTJ.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

It could mean several things, but some of the negative qualities I've observed of INTP's in groups include:

Xenophobia, drama, mutual enabling, intolerance, pharisaicalness, and even outright cruelty.

I should also point out many other Introverts have similar problems in groups of all or mostly the same type, so it isn't unique to INTP's. In fact, it might be dangerous to have too many of the same type in almost any group.

And of course, I cannot stress enough that INTP's as individuals more than make up for this, and can thrive in more diverse, healthy groups. In such groups (and individually) they can display:

General helpfulness, insight, constructive criticism, humor, and new ideas.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Honestly, that's more INTJ.

Yup.

No wonder Obie and I get into skirmishes, if he keeps thinking that's what I'm thinking.

It's more like seeing an entire system of wheels and beams and a myriad of things all perfectly balanced and everything clarified, and as soon as someone says or does something you can see exactly how the system will respond.

What someone chooses to do is up to them. I am not demanding any control or "finding a use for someone." But I can and will tell them what will most likely happen to the system if they do/say a particular thing. Or if they are trying to describe the system in a way that does not balance.

And that outcome can't be changed just because I want to change it -- I can only change my assessment if you change/update the system itself.

So I'm just the messenger, not the machinator.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It could mean several things, but some of the negative qualities I've observed of INTP's in groups include:

Xenophobia, drama, mutual enabling, intolerance, and even outright cruelty.
GET THE NON-INTP!

angry_mob.gif

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They want to get you, pink. Don't answer that.

INTPs seek answers, but they freak when they find it.

Cause then the quest is over. :(

Thankfully, there is always more to learn.

O

Oberon

Yup.

No wonder Obie and I get into skirmishes, if he keeps thinking that's what I'm thinking.

I wasn't actually thinking of you when I wrote that; I was thinking of some less mature INTPs I've known.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
There is no spoon.
(maybe)

not true... INTPs merely throw a handgrenade to the old, then seek a new system. The belief that there's a spoon out there is enough - to find it takes away the meaning of it, though disillusion sets in because no real spoon matches up.

Ti loop: seek-freak-seek-freak (as a wise old carebear once said).

Circuit breaker comes in the form of a strong Ne that incapacitates Ti if the INTP is immature, or a conscious restraint on Ti to allow Ne breathing space, if mature. ?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
not true... INTPs merely throw a handgrenade to the old, then seek a new system. The belief that there's might be a spoon out there is enough...

fixed!

(Warning! Warning! "Avoid closure at all costs!")

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so