• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] The INTP Appreciation Thread

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Don't get the INTPs started about weed.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They won't shut up about it.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A lot of them!

It starts off about pot, then legalization, bong cleaning, then onto shrooms and DXM...

One of the main differences in content here compared to INTPc is how much more drug talk there is over there.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I have some personal control issues so alcohol is as far as I like to go. Must be my inner INJ. They seem like the body control freaks.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A lot of them!

It starts off about pot, then legalization, bong cleaning, then onto shrooms and DXM...

One of the main differences in content here compared to INTPc is how much more drug talk there is over there.
Is that related to type or is it a cultural thing? One aspect related to type, I think, results from striking logical inconsistencies in the way modern culture approaches drugs - particularly seen in the dividing line between legal and illegal substances which can be arbitrarily divided based on factors outside the actual nature of a given substance. That speaks to the way one would conceive of the role of drugs in society, but not necessarily a reason to personally use legal or illegal drugs. Acting in deliberate opposition to a system that attempts to control in a personal way could be another element?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is that related to type or is it a cultural thing? One aspect related to type, I think, results from striking logical inconsistencies in the way modern culture approaches drugs - particularly seen in the dividing line between legal and illegal substances which can be arbitrarily divided based on factors outside the actual nature of a given substance. That speaks to the way one would conceive of the role of drugs in society, but not necessarily a reason to personally use legal or illegal drugs. Acting in deliberate opposition to a system that attempts to control in a personal way could be another element?
You're overthinking it, they like to get high. INTPs often use substances to escape.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTPs often use substances to escape.

You sure you're T and not F? :D

I used alcohol for all kinds of reasons, but never to forget.

I've been sober for years now, I quit using any mentally altering substances when I was 21. Before that, I've used in order to feel miserable and bad about myself. In order to feel alive and angry. In order to feel human. A very misformed human. But I never wanted to forget, anything. Not a single thing ever.

I did not drink to escape. I drank to experience. Because my sober self was all in control. Had it all figured out. But I didn't want things to be that easy. I wanted to feel pain about what I had experienced. I didn't want to feel ok with it.

And I was young. When you're young, you're influenced by those around you. Rolemodels and whatnot. And they way I dealt with things, wasn't how others dealt with things. Made me feel alien, different. Alcohol made me act more like those around me. Anger, pain, emotional. All which seems so important to other people. Like it's important in judging how good you are as a human being. Without feeling pain, how can you tell right from wrong? It's logical that right can't be measured, if you don't know what wrong really is, and it seemed that wrong wasn't to me what it was to others. And I wanted to feel more like they do.. So, I didn't want to feel right, because feeling right would be wrong in the eyes around me. So I did whatever I could to feel wrong about it. Alcohol made me do that.

Anyhow, I grew up, snapped out of it. I became self aware, egotistical and confident. And drinking wasn't an option anymore. Just like that I gave up on it, and felt better ever since.

Anyways, I don't think an INTP can really escape anything. And I doubt there are INTP's that don't realize that. There may be a thousand different reasons for INTP's to use substances. But trying to escape ain't one of them.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
You're overthinking it, they like to get high. INTPs often use substances to escape.

The man says it helps him relax and he feels more at ease and like himself. Also helps him with his creative pursuits.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anyways, I don't think an INTP can really escape anything. And I doubt there are INTP's that don't realize that. There may be a thousand different reasons for INTP's to use substances. But trying to escape ain't one of them.

:worthy:

You should go over to INTPc and explain it all to them.

They'll be grateful.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
You sure you're T and not F? :D

I used alcohol for all kinds of reasons, but never to forget.

I've been sober for years now, I quit using any mentally altering substances when I was 21. Before that, I've used in order to feel miserable and bad about myself. In order to feel alive and angry. In order to feel human. A very misformed human. But I never wanted to forget, anything. Not a single thing ever.

I did not drink to escape. I drank to experience. Because my sober self was all in control. Had it all figured out. But I didn't want things to be that easy. I wanted to feel pain about what I had experienced. I didn't want to feel ok with it.

And I was young. When you're young, you're influenced by those around you. Rolemodels and whatnot. And they way I dealt with things, wasn't how others dealt with things. Made me feel alien, different. Alcohol made me act more like those around me. Anger, pain, emotional. All which seems so important to other people. Like it's important in judging how good you are as a human being. Without feeling pain, how can you tell right from wrong? It's logical that right can't be measured, if you don't know what wrong really is, and it seemed that wrong wasn't to me what it was to others. And I wanted to feel more like they do.. So, I didn't want to feel right, because feeling right would be wrong in the eyes around me. So I did whatever I could to feel wrong about it. Alcohol made me do that.

Anyhow, I grew up, snapped out of it. I became self aware, egotistical and confident. And drinking wasn't an option anymore. Just like that I gave up on it, and felt better ever since.

Usually I'm with you on a lot of things, but not this one. My life is essentially defined by escapism. It's what nearly all my hobbies have in common. Some people use drugs. I use games, books, alternative theories on life, movies, or whatever.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Usually I'm with you on a lot of things, but not this one. My life is essentially defined by escapism. It's what nearly all my hobbies have in common. Some people use drugs. I use games, books, alternative theories on life, movies, or whatever.

I think you're not escaping, you're just exploring and expanding, finding more meaning, in ways you enjoy yourself with. Escaping, in the sense that alcohol/substances would do it. Is to completely stop rationalizing. Stop thinking alltogether whenever possible. Completely dissassociating yourself from life as you know it, that's escapism. That's not what you're doing. Like I said, I don't think an INTP can do it. Ti would be such a nagfest if you tried.

But if you are (which I don't believe), can you honestly say that is working out for you?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I think you're not escaping, you're just exploring and expanding, finding more meaning. Escaping, in the sense that alcohol/substances would do it. Is to completely stop rationalizing. Stop thinking alltogether whenever possible. Completely dissassociating yourself from life as you know it. That's not what you're doing. Like I said, I don't think an INTP can do it. Ti would be such a nagfest if you tried.

But if you are (which I don't believe), can you honestly say that is working out for you?

Most of my hobbies have no creative element [a fact I've realized quite recently, which causes me considerable distress and thus my current quest to find one that does] and serve to simply remove my awareness from the current manifestation of my life. Like you, it's all figured out. I have my job. I have my girl. The ring, the house, the promotions, the whippersnappers will follow. And these are certain things that I definitely wanted and do want. But it's nearly impossible to participate in every conceivable path and reality I've ever imagined for myself, and I use these things to escape into the ones I wanted, but cannot actualize.

I think everybody needs a little escapism. I'm not happy with one path, I want to live all possible ones, and escapism allows me to do that.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

i definitely dont smoke to escape, weed just simply doesent work that way for me. usually i start to think more things that are bothering me when im high(if there are some at the moment), but weed helps me to use lower functions well so i can think from bit different perspective and that way find answers to questions that are bothering me.

alcohol doesent help me escape either, if there is something bothering me and im drinking i just start to feel that those things are even more overwhelming, but i also get distracted from them easily. if i drink so much that i get nasty hang over it can feel like those things are more overwhelming for two days after drinking.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
in other news, i've got the hiccups, goddammit!

haha, im lucky that i learned how to stop them. if you manage to stop one, they will go away for the time. its so funny when some people got HUUUGE long lasting hiccups and they cant do anything about it :D

BlueFlame

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
We aren't very verbal...

Try IM!

Ah, cyber sex. Every NF's wet dream :coffee:

1) not me.
2) yeah I did.
3) I would say that just to be funny, it would not be a serious attempt at sex.

:yes:

:yes:

These are real accounts! At some point, I'd like the *permission to screw you* to subside, or to not have to grab you and rape you every time.
But I've also never dated an INTP for more than a few months at a time, so maybe I just wasn't witness to the full INTP sexual glory.

/benefit of the doubt