• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs: how often do you let someone else win?

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
pretty often, winning isnt everything.

If we speak arguments sometimes its just not worth the effort to change peoples oppinion.

In sports, I dont care. I just participate. I like competition sure, but its not everything.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I let children win, until they've learned well enough to pose a challenge :) They get so happy, and that's cute. Besides, letting them win and stepping things up as you go keeps it interesting for them from a pedagogical view, instead of making it seem like an unsurmountable wall of resistance that they'll just quit in front of and make a sad face.

I also let women win over me in arm wrestling/other strength related stuff, but they always know it's for fun :)
They do however seem to appreciate it.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I try my best to win in every argument. I don't always win, but I don't always view it as a competition either.

F

figsfiggyfigs

NNevvvahh!!!

... well. Sometimes, but only if I don't hate the person :)

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
If I'm better than they are I'll try to develop auxiliary skills (not bring my a-game so to speak) but I still won't let them win. That way we both get better and are challenged.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't tend to purposely let other people win, it's more a matter of if my attention diminishes I won't care about winning myself, and sometimes I'll want the competition to just be over.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Let others win... It depends.
Maybe children, seniors and those I'm teaching to get them to understand the dynamics of what is supposed to be won.
Otherwise I dont allow others to win unless I have nothing to gain and the opponent gains a certain significant amount.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Never. But I like it when they do on their own :)
Yes. Sometimes I give myself a handicap if the other person is considerably less skilled (especially if a child). If it's an argument and there is no clear right and wrong, Iwil sometimes let the other person have their way, just to be considerate.

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I always let children win, but make them work for it.

In arguments? I never back down.

Ever. Unless I have been proved wrong...and as long as it is not publicly displayed that I was wrong, I let the other person "win". But if they do it in front of people? OOoOOo, I will bring up things that have no relevancy just to make them look stupid -- and thereby WIN! It's evil, but I really don't like a lot of people knowing when I am wrong.

Games? I am an intense competitive person -- sports especially. I hate losing and refuse to lose.

My boy has this motto, "I never lose". Mine is, "I always win." Bahaha, it's quite...interesting around us to say the least.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
*Let* someone win? Never (cases with children possibly excepted). But when it comes to games and such, that doesn't mean that I'm particularly invested in the outcome, either. In discussions, I'm a bit more dogged about it, but can be convinced if the circumstances warrant it. In general I'd say that I'm neither a pushover or a poor sport about it. One of my few redeeming qualities :D.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In inimportant things, I will let the other win if they ask for me to let them win, or do it unasked if we are talking about a child under the age of six.

For important things, I might sometimes give the impression that the other person has won (or at least that I haven't won) if things escalate to the point of abusive, but it is never more than a slight impression.

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Never. I think it's insulting to 'let' someone win, because it's as if you don't think they can beat you without a handicap.

Blown Ghost

MBTI Type
ESFP
Interesting. I appreciate you all taking the time to respond to this.

It's something I'm curious about because I almost always lets someone else win. When I was a teenager I was very competitive and after a while I found that I could win at just about anything. After enough of that I started to enjoy seeing someone else enjoy a little victory of their own (especially people who seemed to have so few in their life) more than winning, so I would never put forth my full potential. I still have my same drive to accomplish things when they're important, though. On occasions I will do my best (and sometimes I still find a challenge) so that in the back of my mind I still know I'm the top dog. It's something I've never talked about until now, and admittedly I wonder what it means. Does this mean I lose my ENTJ card? Have I lost my edge?

Blown Ghost

MBTI Type
ESFP
Yes, please hand it in to your nearest competitive chess club!

Funny you should say that... there was ONE thing I would regularly lose at and that was chess vs. my best friend. We would play every day over lunch. At first I would win but then he read a bunch of books on chess strategy and totally kicked my ass henceforth. I will have to remember to visit the chess club next time I need a healthy does of humiliation. :rofl1:

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmm... I usually don't care for actually "winning" an argument. I'm more likely to either

1) Ignore the person who's trying to argue with me
2) Agree to disagree