User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 46

  1. #21
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burymecloser View Post
    Other than the diss at NFs
    Actually, it wasn't meant as a diss if you read it in the intended context. He used the term rationality purely from the MBTI NT form of rationality. Not in a general context, where NF's are rational in their own way, just not how an NT would define rationality for himself, or could possibly consider rational if he would do the same in his own mindset.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  2. #22
    Junior Member streetlightfancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Actually, it wasn't meant as a diss if you read it in the intended context. He used the term rationality purely from the MBTI NT form of rationality. Not in a general context, where NF's are rational in their own way, just not how an NT would define rationality for himself, or could possibly consider rational if he would do the same in his own mindset.
    Thank you. It wasn't a diss (I identify with NF myself). When I use the term rational it's in the context of MBTI NT.

    [And I'm a she!]
    whose world is this?

  3. #23
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    ^ Regardless, this NF doesn't fall in love easily, become infatuated easily, nor do I enter relationships quickly. I'm extremely cautious and selective.

    And I use "rational" in the Jungian sense, which refers to the F & T functions, with N & S functions being irrational.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  4. #24
    Senior Member Sesshoumaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Nope, not me! Haven't fallen in love before, and, hopefully, never, it leads to a compromise that cuts some freedoms if not all...

    But for hormones, I guess I liked one person, and after 2 years of knowing the person... Actually, another INTP (not as strongly marked as me, she's like in between everything else... But definetely a P).
    Last edited by Sesshoumaru; 08-22-2010 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Detail...
    "Please don't have children, overpopulation is the real fuss of this world"-Composed by me...
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/20/205551.png

  5. #25
    Senior Member hilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sx
    Socionics
    wtf
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HomerSoprano View Post
    Have you ever felt that you fall in love too easily?
    Not really. I've had three. I would rather not bind myself to someone with whom it will not work out long-term, so if it happened more often, I think that would lead to frequent fallings-out and pain. At least the ones that I have had (painful as they were) were balanced by good relationships in which a lot of growth for both parties occurred.

    I do get mini-crushes sometimes, based on remarkably little (a clever remark can send my extrapolation machinery a bit wild) but they usually fade once the real person is revealed.
    I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
    - Umberto Eco

    INTP e9 (sx/so/sp)
    Ti = Ne (41.3) > Si (31.2) ~ Ni (31.1) ~ Te (30.1) > Se (24.1) >> Fe (21) & Fi (20.1)

  6. #26
    Reptilian Snuggletron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    10
    Posts
    2,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by streetlightfancy View Post
    I guess it makes sense... some could say that NFs fall in love too easily because their feelings aren't genuine, (because they aren't rational). I guess NTs (or Ts in general) are blessed to see beyond what is a transient feeling... Or is that even the point of love?
    what makes an emotion genuine? if you feel it then that is all you need to validate it. All of this talk about logic and rationale, it has nothing to do with your emotions. You may use it after you feel an emotion to perhaps reason if acting on it is the right thing for you to do but an F function can also do this based on another criteria. I think love is one of those emotions that manages to escape the idea that a thought comes before an emotion. Or at least a thought that can take love to a complete stop. It seems to me like love is just one of those things that fades away rather than something someone can just selectively put an end to. And one of those things that just happens as apposed to selectively turning on. Maybe an NT would not feel the same exact way.

  7. #27
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,022

    Default

    Not an INTP but have 3 ex's who were, of which one became an ex in the past week.

    To easily explain it, their internal dialogue goes something like this:
    • Wow, I'm infatuated, crazy, can't get enough of her!! *bounce, bounce, head in the clouds*
    • She loves me back!! *bounce, bounce, head in the clouds*
    • But why does she love me? How can she love me with a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, m, n, o, p, q, r, s, t, u, v, w, x, y, z faults and reason why not? If she sees a, b, c, d, she won't love me anymore, so I'd better hide them. And e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l will really turn her off, so I'd better hide them. M, n, o, p, q, r, s, t, u, v, w better be hidden too. And y, z are little things, so I can let her see these.
    • God, I'm so stressed and overwhelmed hiding a - w. She doesn't really love me because she doesn't know me. Once I show her everything, she won't love me anymore, so how can she love me now?
    • I don't love her. How can I love someone who only loves someone who she doesn't know? This relationship can't work. I need some space. *withdraws*
    • Wash, rinse, repeat a few times.
    • She broke up with me. I knew she didn't love me. What went wrong? What did I do?

  8. #28
    Senior Member INTPness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SNUGGLETRON View Post
    what makes an emotion genuine? if you feel it then that is all you need to validate it. All of this talk about logic and rationale, it has nothing to do with your emotions. You may use it after you feel an emotion to perhaps reason if acting on it is the right thing for you to do but an F function can also do this based on another criteria. I think love is one of those emotions that manages to escape the idea that a thought comes before an emotion. Or at least a thought that can take love to a complete stop. It seems to me like love is just one of those things that fades away rather than something someone can just selectively put an end to. And one of those things that just happens as apposed to selectively turning on. Maybe an NT would not feel the same exact way.
    I would venture to say that most of us do not feel the same way. I've heard things similar to what you said from other NF's and it almost seems like another dimension that I can't quite comprehend. I guess I can comprehend it, but I wouldn't know how to actually do it myself. It just wouldn't make sense to me.

    For instance, when you say:
    It seems to me like love is just one of those things that fades away rather than something someone can just selectively put an end to.
    I see it like this: If I truly love someone, then I won't allow it to "fade away". I will continue loving them. Period. But, let's say I loved someone and then found out they were having an affair. I could make the decision to continue loving that person, or I could *selectively put an end to it*. I believe that I have either option in this instance, and I'm probably more inclined to put an end to it because it's a line that *logically* (to me), you just don't cross. That one instance of infidelity would cause me to fall out of love with them. I might still care about them deeply and have deep ties and emotional connections with that person, and I'll even forgive them (and continue to be cordial with them). But, I'll probably abruptly "fall out of love" right then and there. It's like a small animal getting run over by a car. Unfortunately, if the impact is great enough, it's just over right then and there. There is no "fading away". There is impact and then the life of the animal ends. (Lame example, but it's what came to mind)

    Another thing is, if I thought someone's love for me would eventually *fade away*, I wouldn't want to get involved with them. I'd want to know that they were determined to love me through thick and thin, and I'd do the same for them. I think the average NT probably sees love as a decision rather than something that "just happens" and then "fades away" at a later date. I couldn't live like that. I'd feel like I was just floating through life rather than taking it by the horns.

    For me, falling in love was like, "You are an awesome individual. I love being around you. I have developed tremendous feelings for you, you have earned my utmost respect, I trust you, and I'm going to love you the very best way that I know how. I will be the very best that I can for you because I love you." Then when the NF love *fades*, it's like, "Wait, what? How did it fade? I don't get it. I thought we were in this together. Remember all those talks we had about being there for each other unconditionally and counting on each other, etc, etc.? How did it just fade? Did a unicorn just come pick you up and whisper in your ear that you shouldn't love me anymore or what?" It's hard to understand logically for the NT. Because we've made the decision that we are going to love you as best as we know how. And we thought it was mutual.

    I'm not saying all this to dispute or invalidate the NF ways of falling in love. I'm just putting it out there for purposes of comparison.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.


    There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

  9. #29
    Senior Member INTPness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Not an INTP but have 3 ex's who were, of which one became an ex in the past week.

    To easily explain it, their internal dialogue goes something like this:
    • Wow, I'm infatuated, crazy, can't get enough of her!! *bounce, bounce, head in the clouds*
    • She loves me back!! *bounce, bounce, head in the clouds*
    • But why does she love me? How can she love me with a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, m, n, o, p, q, r, s, t, u, v, w, x, y, z faults and reason why not? If she sees a, b, c, d, she won't love me anymore, so I'd better hide them. And e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l will really turn her off, so I'd better hide them. M, n, o, p, q, r, s, t, u, v, w better be hidden too. And y, z are little things, so I can let her see these.
    • God, I'm so stressed and overwhelmed hiding a - w. She doesn't really love me because she doesn't know me. Once I show her everything, she won't love me anymore, so how can she love me now?
    • I don't love her. How can I love someone who only loves someone who she doesn't know? This relationship can't work. I need some space. *withdraws*
    • Wash, rinse, repeat a few times.
    • She broke up with me. I knew she didn't love me. What went wrong? What did I do?
    Ha ha ha. I'll humbly say that there is some truth in this.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.


    There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

  10. #30
    Junior Member streetlightfancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SNUGGLETRON View Post
    what makes an emotion genuine? if you feel it then that is all you need to validate it. All of this talk about logic and rationale, it has nothing to do with your emotions. You may use it after you feel an emotion to perhaps reason if acting on it is the right thing for you to do but an F function can also do this based on another criteria. I think love is one of those emotions that manages to escape the idea that a thought comes before an emotion. Or at least a thought that can take love to a complete stop. It seems to me like love is just one of those things that fades away rather than something someone can just selectively put an end to. And one of those things that just happens as apposed to selectively turning on. Maybe an NT would not feel the same exact way.
    Well I completely disagree with you about emotions being genuine simply because we feel them. But maybe that is because I am a highly emotional person with crazy mood swings, so for me a feeling receives authenticity with time. An example: In the beginning of relationships, people (or at least I... I'll try to talk for myself from now on) tend to feel very intense emotions towards their significant other. It's a classic debate of love vs. lust. I think that NFs are more likely to fall in love easily because they are less likely to try to rationalize their emotions. I'm not completely educated in the field, but even on a psychological level, we are supposed to rationalize what we feel to a certain degree (correct me if I'm wrong, but what I'm referring to is the ego, superego, id). I think that it is easier for NTs to see beyond the rush of emotions that people feel from one moment to the next and base their "decision" (decision is not the right word because it makes it sound like love is conscious choice, but roll with me here) of love on the big picture.
    whose world is this?

Similar Threads

  1. [INTP] How do you know an INTP is in love? INTP's please Help!
    By ana in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 05-05-2016, 03:53 PM
  2. [INTP] INTP and Falling in love
    By stormyapril in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2012, 07:34 PM
  3. [MBTItm] Rationals over there, how do you behave when you fall in love?
    By kathara in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 11:12 PM
  4. What type is most likely to fall in love?
    By Mole in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 12:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO