User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Being INTP

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Being INTP

Last edited by IntrovertedThinker; 08-17-2010 at 05:59 PM.

MBTI
    intP

+1.

MBTI
    ENTP

You are being too modest. What you wrote is great, it really inspired me.

I sometimes feel life is a prison, people always pushing me to conform to be practical, pushing me to accept their superficial values (most of the people which I come in contact with are ES, IS I guess). All my life I've been pushed to be more J and more S, as if only the things that can be seen have value.

But my world is quite opposite to yours, as I am very extraverted, and you are most likely very introverted. I need to experience, to explore in order to think about something. I need to be stimulated by interesting things. Only then I can stay in my silent room, thinking about whatever gets stuck in my mind. And I always feel a big pleasure when doing this. In understanding things, or at least having a approximative theory on the things around me and inside my head.

For me, the world is here to be explored first and understood second. When I was little I used to go on long expeditions with my friends, exploring the areas around the city, the forests, everything...I never really wanted to stop and go back, because that really set me free. I never stopped doing that. But things that I explore got more and more complex and random by the years.

It really hurts when I see that money and status count so much for most people, of course I value money too but it's more like means to an end. Money is the creation of people, things have value only because people attribute it to them. I dream of a world where people can be free to create, free to explore, free of all limits that stand in the way, because for me, life only makes sense if I create/explore/understand/think about something interesting.

My favorite quotes are:
    Omnia mea mecum porto. (All that's mine I carry with me) -Cicero
    "I shall either find a way or make one." -Hannibal

I find these quotes very inspiring.

MBTI
    ENTP

Yes just because your actions/thoughts do not have a practical outcome it doesn't mean that the do NOT have an outcome.

Just because the outcome is on the inside it doesn't mean it does NOT exist.

And just because the world you live in is NOT on the outside it doesn't mean that it can't be more complex and great than the reality on the outside.

In my point of view ideas and concepts shape the reality we live in, things that come from the INSIDE makes the outside great. Without that we would be living in caves, believing that god makes rain clouds and fire. Concepts make things evolve.

This thing really pisses me off. The 'the only real thing is the present and what I can see touch do' thing. This leaves no room for possibilities and creativity.

Permabanned

One thing about ITPs is they tend to get the "no one cares" syndrome alot by other people. Ironically when others are speaking I tend feel the same way towards others. It's a way of thinking most of society does not appreciate.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    You are being too modest. What you wrote is great, it really inspired me.
    I concur it was fairly well-written, but I found it a little more arrogant than modest. It isn't untrue that I do think of the world fairly differently from a lot of people, even those I consider my friends. It's also true that I have trouble connecting with people on many topics is difficult for me. But to disregard them as the "mindless" "hoi polloi" is to have a faith in your own intelligence that is, from my own estimation, unfounded. A key to genunine skepticism and intelligence is the ability to amend beliefs, concede to others, and not to create overbroad assumptions. It sounds here like you are the one-eyed man in the kingdom of the blind, rather than a member of society with a very specific point of view which contributes to, but can also be informed by, the whole.

Besides, in practical terms, whereas ENTPs have the charm to make up for "we're the best"-type arrogance (and I'm convinced both that charm and that arrogance exist in spades), we INTPs mostly gotta go for "strange, but generally agreeable" to operate in the modern world.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

And that is why I adore INTPs!

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

That's pretty much exactly how I used to feel.

Last few years I've been working on the detachement process, both consciously and subconsciously. There are many ways we can attach or detach from other people. Many ways will clash with us, but not every way. We can attach ourselves to people (in general as in 'the herd', attaching to people in particular is an entirely different topic), on quite some levels without demeaning our INTPness.

Instead of shooing away from them, using them as a stepping stone, for example.
    We become part of 'the herd' without being a slave of 'the herd'. And then we can fit in, without conforming to different standards. Fitting our own INTP'ness into the herd, as passively as possible.

It's definately easier to shoo away completely, as the process of joining the herd is a complicated one. But I've always seen it as a good challenge, and in more than one way it has helped me improve upon myself. To my own standards, but also to the standards of other people. Two entirely different sets of standards which seemed to be worlds apart, suddenly finding common ground.

Wisdom, dude. It's freaking beautiful.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

There is nothing wrong or negative about being selfish and arrogant if you're not harming anyone by it.

Yeah, I'm arrogant, selfish and all that. But that doesn't mean I'm a bad, negative person.

It just means I really like myself.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    intP

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you introvertedthinker? I get the impression youre feeling some anger and bitterness.

There is great value in understanding yourself. I'd claim self acceptance even more so. You're well spoken and insightful. You have much to offer others. I'd caution that understanding that you're different is not a reason to reject others/societ. Like it or not, you're stuck with this world and its crowded. You're smart enough to figure out strategies for dealing with people.

Also, you don't have to justify yourself to others, loved ones excepted. Lack of desperation is a sure sign of wisdom - Thoreau.

I'm assuming I've been an intp a bit longer than you so I thought id ramble my perspective at you.