• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Problems with IQ, tests ect..

God Of Emptiness

MBTI Type
INTP
Ok i'm pretty sure most of you if not all of you have taken an IQ test at some point in your life. I've taken a few on the internet and have been given varied results. It ranges from about 105(average) to about 126(high above average).

It doesn't make sense to me at all. On the one hand i'm an average joe and the other pretty intellegent. I'm very lazy at high school (i'm in grade 10) doing no studying and minimal(intp-ish?) work but I manage to pull off about a B average, about 10 percent above the class average. So then how can I have an average Iq? Or why if I do have a 126 IQ am I not on the roll of honor for acedemics or something similar.

Your thoughts?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
IQ tests depend on a lot of factors dropping into place, like sleep, for them to be a fair assessment and also not all IQ tests are created equal.

Personally I'd pay it no mind. It tests a small part of the brains capabilities and is generally only referred to as anything important by those who don't know any better.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Well, first of all grades is only about 1/3 down to your intelligence, and the rest is about how hard and well you work. An IQ in the 125 area does not at all mean your grade average will be A. Anyhow, the fact that you manage to pull off relatively good grades with little work effort, seems to indicate higher IQ. It's probably something like 115-120.

Camelopardalis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Hmm... My IQ results range from 113 to 147. I'm a freshmen in high school and I maintain an A- average. I'd say that my IQ is around the 130's range and most of my results are 129 - 138. I generally distrust the accuracy of these tests, as they only test logical, lingual, mathematical and spatial skills. Besides, various conditions apply. You might be especially tired on one test and very alert on another. You might be listening to music on one and concentrating on another. That's why I don't trust the results.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ok i'm pretty sure most of you if not all of you have taken an IQ test at some point in your life. I've taken a few on the internet and have been given varied results. It ranges from about 105(average) to about 126(high above average).

It doesn't make sense to me at all. On the one hand i'm an average joe and the other pretty intellegent. I'm very lazy at high school (i'm in grade 10) doing no studying and minimal(intp-ish?) work but I manage to pull off about a B average, about 10 percent above the class average. So then how can I have an average Iq? Or why if I do have a 126 IQ am I not on the roll of honor for acedemics or something similar.

Your thoughts?

well...hmm...I....jeez...It's probably because IQ is bullshit.
And by that I mean a totally bogus 'indicator' of intelligence.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
This old topic again... ho humm...

Online IQ tests <> reliable IQ scores. You pretty much have to take a full and modern IQ test for it to mean anything at all (WAIS, KAIT, etc).

IQ and grades correlate somewhat, but it isn't the sole determining factor... and in most cases, it is more accurate to say that high marks indicate higher IQ, not that higher IQ leads to high marks (IQ acts like a barrier of entry). It's similar with jobs and so forth. High IQ (the effects of, rather) doesn't manifest itself without work.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
Online IQ tests <> reliable IQ scores. You pretty much have to take a full and modern IQ test for it to mean anything at all (WAIS, KAIT, etc).

IQ and grades correlate somewhat, but it isn't the sole determining factor... and in most cases, it is more accurate to say that high marks indicate higher IQ, not that higher IQ leads to high marks (IQ acts like a barrier of entry). It's similar with jobs and so forth. High IQ (the effects of, rather) doesn't manifest itself without work.

They put me through one at school in grade 7, don't remember the exact number but I remember the 93 percentile part. It was also my second time through grade 7 so guess I can agree with the assessment that high IQ doesn't mean higher grades. I was always very bored in most of my classes so I never really payed attention or bothered with them hence I always got barely passing marks in most classes.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Considering that my grades were higher than my studious and higher IQ (according to one test) mate, I'd have to say that any correlation would be dubious at best.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
On "online IQ" tests I score 20 points less when I am under a lot of "stress" (not feeling bad, just mentally a bit foggy). I notice that when I am stress-free and not working it's much easier to study and I am very quick mentally-wittier. I think this is an often overlooked part of testing, and I think it plays a part in the supposed deterioration of mental skills after 20 years of age. (besides, I generally score from 130 to 150. I think that a minimum of effort in school pays off more than high smarts. I had A- avg in high school but i never did any homework cuz i found playing soccer way cooler, the ppl that studied say 2 hours a day had A. Same thing in college, my girlfriend on the same entry-test scored the equivalent of 125 but she studies a lot and she has straight 4.0 as opposed to me that even if i scored 140+ i have 3.5).

The ones I've taken on the internet gave me scores that were both higher and lower than the one I took as "official". Granted fortunately the official one I took was under a very mentally stress-free period during which I was only playing sports and doing math puzzles.

ms_ambivalence

MBTI Type
INTP
lol online IQ tests will give you an "ish" result at best. As in, your IQ is 130ish. I remember getting grounded from my parents when my official IQ tests results came in, they never told me what it was but they thought my poor grades did not live up to my potential:steam: My Iq is in the 130 range and i was such a poor student i didn't even graduate high school:doh:

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
If one takes many online IQ tests you get a quite good picture. Even if you take official tests, your results will vary somewhat. It is a problem that different tests use different standard deviations though. Let's say a person score 130 on an IQ test with SD=15 and scores 148 on an IQ test with SD=24. That is exactly the same result, but that person might not get that, and dismiss IQ as just being crap, because the results "vary" so much. Of course it is more difficult to measure high IQs, so one can be less certain about those. Anyhow, if you take a lot of online tests and just calculate the average score, I am sure that score will be a very decent indication on what it really is. Personally I just say my IQ is about 125. I think it is foolish to say ones IQ for example is 127. You can never be that certain about it, it is always going to be "ish".

MBTI Type
INFJ
it's mho that online iq tests are bogus tho... bogus, as in, they give you a set of problems and convert that to an "iq score" in a pretty much haphazard fashion.

specific problems:

1) imo, as online iq tests are free, they basically just want people to crowd their pages. thus, they give higher scores than normal, making people excited about their scores. personally, i'd guess at least 20 points extra.

2) even if they create a score based on standard deviations (ie. bell curve-ish), the pool of users that has access to internet etc. or has interest in iq tests is not an average of the population. which screws up the scores again. (and i know some might be thinking that, hey, but internet users are prob smarter than average, and so on. i'm guessing they're correlating for that as well - based on not fact, but a guess at best - adding even more noise to the real score.)

iq scores are just bullshit anyway, tho, aren't they? extremely thorough research on achievement has shown that there is basically zero correlance to achievement and IQ, and instead a very strong correlance with "hard work." :doh:

reference to research: Secrets of greatness: Practice and hard work bring success - October 30, 2006

let's abandon the iq-sit-on-your-ass-with-your-supposed-talent-bandwagon and start working hard! =) it's the "smart" thing to do... :headphne:

redacted

blah. online tests seem pretty damn inaccurate. i've gotten as low as 120 and as high as 180.

i took a real IQ test in high school (~10 hours of testing), and i got somewhere in the high 130s.

but i think the standard deviations are different for different tests, so none of those numbers really mean anything lol.

Camelopardalis

MBTI Type
INTJ
blah. online tests seem pretty damn inaccurate. i've gotten as low as 120 and as high as 180.

i took a real IQ test in high school (~10 hours of testing), and i got somewhere in the high 130s.

but i think the standard deviations are different for different tests, so none of those numbers really mean anything lol.

I give IQ tests the 'ish' credit, so if an iq test claims I'm 138, I'd say 130'ish'. That's the most certain I can be.

redacted

I give IQ tests the 'ish' credit, so if an iq test claims I'm 138, I'd say 130'ish'. That's the most certain I can be.

well then i'm 180-ish and 120-ish and a lot of ishes in between.

:yes:

(but i'm totally nowhere close to 180)

Urchin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
An IQ test is not a direct measure of our score. It takes your performance and compares you to a bank of average scores by age. It divides the age you scored by your actual age and multiplies by 100. Therefore, if you get the same percentage of correct answers when you're 16 that you do when you're 17, your IQ will be lower at 17 than it was at 16, in spite of the same performance.

Also, the precision of an IQ test relies on how many results you have for comparison. Therefore, the higher and lower on the bell curve you get, the less precise you get. I've scored as low as 146 and as high as 174 on unofficial IQ tests. It depends on the test, but once you get above about 130, most tests are no longer very meaningful due to low precision.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
IQ tests that assign quantitative criteria tend to statistically generalize when working to relate "abnormalities" against their central formulaic scheme.

That is not to say that the test itself is founded on unreliable properties; rather, that the efficiency of the numerical assignments flex when working to include statistical anomalies.

As a sidebar, I don't believe most tests share a central statistical system/skill set when deciding what types of questions to use. As such, many of the concepts could be unique to the proctor and/or biased in favor of this "normalizing" effect.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Why feel deprived? Who cares what they consider?

For that matter, why baseline your personal estimation against an arbitrary sum at all?