• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT Fight Fans

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
You've got to give credit to Zuffa for good business sense and skillfully growing UFC internationally.

I'm afraid of an antitrust lawsuit clusterfuck for the UFC in the next decade. They seem to be doing a good job of letting underperforming guys go to feed lesser promotions.

Seems like Bellator is movin on up just fine.

And Strikeforce is doing its thing.

Dream has its business in Japan, and M-1 Global has Europe/Russia.

Seems like Anderson kinda screwed up the whole internationalization thing a bit in Abu Dhabi...

I don't know why they put Demian Maia in there anyway, considering Marquardt had smoked him in :21 two fights before...

If Sonnen had been in that fight, the UFC would be on its way to global domination...

Zuffa got what it deserved; that's what happens when you clearly set up the wrong fight...

Tdore

MBTI Type
INTJ
Blank I dig the Vonnegut quote. And honestly I don't care much for watching fighting, I'm not really a big watcher for any sport though. I do know of a local... 'arena' lets call it, where I could partake in sparring, and I'm really considering going. It'd be such a great output for energy and emotion that its too hard to pass up.

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
Do you train or are thinking about just showing up and doing what comes natural?

Let us know how that goes.

If they're good guys and you're respectful, there's not much to be afraid of.

If you are untrained and try to spar with trained guys I think you may start to appreciate the efficiency and sophistication of good combat technique.

Mjrmjr

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
There is no sport more physically demanding nor any contest even with such strategic and tactical depth as mixed martial arts.

If you're a fan, let it be known.

If you're not yet a fan, please share your naive impressions of this, the pinnacle of human effort.

I haven't really read downthread, but I'll jump in right here.

Even though you didn't specify, I'll make a wild leap and assume that we're talking about a one on one sport since you said 'fight fans'. So this excludes American football/NFL off the top.

I'm an NT. I like boxing *way* more than MMA, although I do like MMA a lot. I think that MMA is better run as a sport, a business model, and is probably way more satisfying to follow as a fan. The good fighters fight each other in MMA. Often. The MMA fan gets the fights that he/she wants to see with pretty good regularity. Said fights are exciting!

All that said, I like a boxing a lot more. The skill level at the elite end of the sport way surpasses MMA, IMO. While the options or possibilities in MMA are more wide open, the strategy, tactics, and excitement of boxing way surpass MMA for me. Go watch a Tyson, Ali, or Lennox Lewis highlight video and see what I mean!

Thinkaboutit

MBTI Type
INTJ

LOL! The one female in the thread so far! Yeah Yeah we know.

I trained boxing, shotokan karate, and BJJ; and I could now beat the crap out of my former HS football-star super-athletic self.

Boxing (in a ring) took more stamina than MMA hands down, and I've done both.
MMA takes a lot more knowledge though.
Both types of fighters are the best all-around pound for pound athletes in the world. I quit to save my ears from cauliflower and all the ultra-macho pomposity that spewed from the mouths of most of the guys I trained with. I hated having a drink with those guys, but they somehow got women!:rolli:

However, I will say it's really good for your confidence to train for fights. Not that I need any, I am an INTJ, but now I'm an INTJ that knows he can armbar any attacker. It's gone to my head for sure, but that's not such a bad thing as long as I refrain from bragging. I really wouldn't be interested in a girl that liked me because I fought MMA anyway. That's much too shallow for my tastes.