• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Fake logic

paradox fox

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
If you're a Thinking type, have you ever made up something in a conversation or argument and presented it as logical, even though you knew it wasn't logical, just to see how far you could get away with it? Under what circumstances did/would you do it?

Shmooooooooo

MBTI Type
INTP
Never on purpose; however, when I do paint myself into a logical corner and know it before the people I'm arguing with, I usually slam on the semantics acrobatics and am most times successful in reframing or redefining the question at hand in order to get me out. It's rather satisfying.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you're a Thinking type, have you ever made up something in a conversation or argument and presented it as logical, even though you knew it wasn't logical, just to see how far you could get away with it? Under what circumstances did/would you do it?

...Get thee behind me, satan.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6

I just love annoying the hell out of my Philosophy major friend by arguing with him that various inanimate objects have free will. It drives him crazy because he uses the exact same arguments to state that he himself has free will...and they're no less applicable to anything else.

paradox fox

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I just love annoying the hell out of my Philosophy major friend by arguing with him that various inanimate objects have free will. It drives him crazy because he uses the exact same arguments to state that he himself has free will...and they're no less applicable to anything else.

Do tell

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
I'll tease people with bombastic rhetoric in the middle of a discussion to entertain myself. NTP's will sometimes chuckle, most everyone else will think im weird.

When the Ne gets out in front of the Ti its fun to come up with the most ridiculous explanation possible.

N

NPcomplete

In certain situations, I have used the usual tricks of redefining questions, inventing and using long words, twisting the meaning of words to win arguments or to confuse my "opponent" long enough for me to win. This is usually done with a smug smile. Hehe. It's quite enjoyable too.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you're a Thinking type, have you ever made up something in a conversation or argument and presented it as logical, even though you knew it wasn't logical, just to see how far you could get away with it?

Well...maybe... :whistling:

Isn't this just a higher form of bullshitting?
High-brow bullshitting if you will! :laugh:

Under what circumstances did/would you do it?

I would do it for laughs,
I would do it for fun,
I've done it with tall girls, small girls and nuns.
It's because I like all topics, and people, and reasons,
That logical bullshitting never goes out of season. :coffee:

metasapiens

MBTI Type
N>JI
Oh yeah fallacies ... mental laziness leads to them. I hate that. I mostly avoid to express serious opinions IRL. It's not cowardice, it's ad nauseam .. seriously, when it's a matter of courage .. I can't forgive. Can't win over denial but often considering to cement some useless traps.

Lucas

MBTI Type
INTP
All the time. Usually it is not "fake" logic per se, I just start with a ridiculous premise, or make up really weird links.

One of my favorites is linking every possible action I can to genocide or nuclear war. The best one I have come up with so far is that saying things are true leads to genocide.

rav3n

All the time. Usually it is not "fake" logic per se, I just start with a ridiculous premise, or make up really weird links.

One of my favorites is linking every possible action I can to genocide or nuclear war. The best one I have come up with so far is that saying things are true leads to genocide.
*waits for enactment of Godwin's Law*

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
lol I managed to logically argue that snails pity the human condition:huh:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have too grave an opinion of logic to add any extra injury to the comprehension of it at large.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
This is why I'm hot

I'm hot cause I'm fly
You ain't cause you're not
This is why
This is why I'm hot

Q.E.D.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Never done it on purpose. I can, however, be really sure of something and defend it with a passion, even if it's totally wrong.
"You're being unlogical" shuts me up for a long enough time to make your point. But then you've got to point out my logical mistake.

Lucas

MBTI Type
INTP
"You're being unlogical" shuts me up for a long enough time to make your point.

Really? That would just make me more convinced of my logicality, if the person saying that did not even know the opposite of logical is illogical, not unlogical.

Moonstone3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9, 5
I don't make things up, some people call it stretching what is.:whistling: I like to think of it as broadening everyone's horizons.:D
Under what circumstances...almost any, but most definitely when I have higher knowledge in the area I'm speaking of. If I don't hold the higher knowledge, then I tie the conversation to something else that I do know more than the other person about. I'll throw in some big words here, some concepts there, and usually link it to something completely illogical so my thoughts are the lesser of the evils.:devil: