• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Ask an INTP

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think there's a thread on this yet (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm starting this thread because I like to be asked questions about my area of expertise (that is INTPness). :D

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't think there's a thread on this yet (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm starting this thread because I like to be asked questions about my area of expertise (that is INTPness). :D

There's been at least one, probably more. But, let's do it again. My question to you:

What do you think the world would be like if SF's were the business leaders, politicians, and judges? NT's had to serve primarily in customer service and roles that catered to making people feel good? NF's had to be plumbers and construction workers? And SJ's had to be artists, poets, and fiction writers? :D

redacted

Howabout this:

Do you think INTPs are by definition disadvantaged when it comes to social skill?

Or do you think the trend is just a side affect of other more definitional traits?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There's been at least one, probably more. But, let's do it again. My question to you:

What do you think the world would be like if SF's were the business leaders, politicians, and judges? NT's had to serve primarily in customer service and roles that catered to making people feel good? NF's had to be plumbers and construction workers? And SJ's had to be artists, poets, and fiction writers? :D

I think people could adapt to their new roles to some degree but they wouldn't be nearly as effective as they would be if they did things that were more natural to their personality types. As a result, people would be less happy and society would start to deteriorate.

Howabout this:

Do you think INTPs are by definition disadvantaged when it comes to social skill?

Or do you think the trend is just a side affect of other more definitional traits?

Definitely the latter.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What would happen if an INTP made a thread entitled "Ask an INTP" and the only people that asked questions were other INTP's?

Moonstone3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9, 5
Does that back up the social skills question?:laugh:
It is because we INTPs communicate best to other INTPs. :yes:
Or is it we say things that only interest ourselves? :huh:
Or is it our unquenchable thirst for knowledge?:reading:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There is a thread like this somewhere.

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
Howabout this:

I think the former. I'm usually just not interested in most other people and I have to imagine that comes through in my interactions.

sure I can make small talk and am not heartless, but my natural disinterest and ambivalence are social disadvantages.

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
What type do you find yourself best matching with? Both on a platonic level and on a romantic one.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
What type do you find yourself best matching with? Both on a platonic level and on a romantic one.

NFP's: It's magnetic, but full of ups and downs. (Roller coaster ride)
NFJ's: Not quite as magnetic, but also requires less maintenance. (Smoother ride, less eventful)

Have never dated an NT, but would love to give it a shot. ENTJ might be the only NT type that would work with me. As for NT friends:

INTJ: Love talking with them, but they're almost impossible to befriend. It's like when two magnets won't come together. There's a mutual respect, but both parties are just content to talk for 2 minutes and then say goodbye.

ENTP: Get along great as friends. Too much like me to want to date one.

INTP: Get along great if we can get the mutual Ne going.

ENTJ: I've had several ENTJ friends who I've gotten along with pretty well. I think the "rub" between the two types is that they get tired of me not always wanting to be out and about (not having a never-ending supply of "social energy" like they do) and I get tired of them always expecting to me to be everywhere and do everything and participate in every activity. Can't do it and don't want to do it. If we could get past that part, it might be something like:

YouTube - Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On live in Montreux 1980

The 5 types that I think I could potentially have the best long-term relationships with would have to be: ENFJ, INFJ, ENFP, INFP, ENTJ

Shmooooooooo

MBTI Type
INTP
If you had to invert every single one of your letters except one, which one would you keep? And don't start with the Jungian functions.

I'd keep N.

Shmooooooooo

MBTI Type
INTP
It just seems so... claustrophobic and confining to see that which is as anything but a limited slice of that which could be.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'd keep N...Being an ENFJ wouldn't be all that bad. I'd rather that than an ESTJ, anyway.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
INTPs,

What do you think is the biggest difference between you and the ENTPs?
Would you like to be an Extravert instead? Why (not)?

My new novel hero is an INTP.
What would you do in an explicitly SJ society where mediocrity is the highest virtue? Would it be realistic for an INTP to try and adapt until he realizes there are actually big inconsistent flaws in the system?
What would you do in an explicitly NF society where imagination is seen as part of the reality and as real as observable reality? Ghosts, amulets,... are all seen as normal things. Keep in mind our INTP has been raised to "keep real" in the aforementioned SJ society.

Unique

INTPs,

My new novel hero is an INTP.
What would you do in an explicitly SJ society where mediocrity is the highest virtue? Would it be realistic for an INTP to try and adapt until he realizes there are actually big inconsistent flaws in the system?
What would you do in an explicitly NF society where imagination is seen as part of the reality and as real as observable reality? Ghosts, amulets,... are all seen as normal things. Keep in mind our INTP has been raised to "keep real" in the aforementioned SJ society.

The biggest difference (although there are many) is the energy level difference. There is a lot less thinking before an idea is tossed out there to be tested for accuracy etc with the ENTP. The INTP will have it mostly all put together before it leaves their lips.

"What would you do in an explicitly SJ society where mediocrity is the highest virtue?"

This is how the world is at the moment? So I'd be doing nothing different

"What would you do in an explicitly NF society where imagination is seen as part of the reality and as real as observable reality? Ghosts, amulets,... are all seen as normal things. Keep in mind our INTP has been raised to "keep real" in the aforementioned SJ society."

Probably eventually go mad from the mass Fness

You lost me in the last sentence

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What would happen if an INTP made a thread entitled "Ask an INTP" and the only people that asked questions were other INTP's?

It wouldn't be as interesting because I want to know what other types really want to know about INTPs.

INTPs and ENTPs are good for platonic relationships but not romantic ones.

I tend to be attracted to those with strong Fe because that's my aspirational function and am weak in it myself. So ESFJ, ISFJ, INFJ, and ENFJ I think would be good for romance.

If you had to invert every single one of your letters except one, which one would you keep? And don't start with the Jungian functions.

I'd keep N.

I'd keep N too.

INTPs,

The ENTPs come across as more confident and less inhibited than I am. The ENTPs are alot more impulsive than I am.

I don't think an INTP could adapt well to an explicity SJ society. But to be fair, SJ does not equal mediocrity. If I was exposed to an explicity SJ society, I'd try to migrate to another society where my values were held in higher regard.

I would do better in the explicitly NF society because at least they share my intuitive preference. However, I would have a hard time with seeing ghosts, etc. as real things because I see imagination and belief as separate.