First 23456 Last

Thread: Ask an INTP

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    He's 39.

Actually, this makes a lot of sense. His most attractive traits are his Ti/Ne combination. He's really smart and witty but good lord, when something emotional doesn't go his way, he turtles and as you said "pouts" over how tragic the world is.

Thanks very much! I'll go punt him back to Ti. Or should I slowly nurture him back? Nurturing is not my strong suit when it comes to partners, since Fi is my wonkiest function (inferior, yuck).
    Well, yeah, give attention to his Fe. But, then go do something fun or get a really good meal or something and debate with him. Get his Ti riled up. Debate or talk with him about something that he's passionate about. Let him go off on his tangents. By the time he gets through ranting/arguing/debating/teaching, he'll be feeling chipper again.

Ti is always bottled up inside. Treat it like a release valve. When you see him in the dumps, pop the cork and let him air out his Ti.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Well, yeah, give attention to his Fe. But, then go do something fun or get a really good meal or something and debate with him. Get his Ti riled up. Debate or talk with him about something that he's passionate about. Let him go off on his tangents. By the time he gets through ranting/arguing/debating/teaching, he'll be feeling chipper again.

Ti is always bottled up inside. Treat it like a release valve. When you see him in the dumps, pop the cork and let him air out his Ti.
    I'll do that when we get together tomorrow. And do I know his hot buttons when it comes to topics he loves to debate about. Thanks again!

MBTI
    ENTP

@ Metaphor: try to make him feel that he doesn't have to be social or emotional in order to be accepted. Remember Fi is his last, so things like "why do I feel like this" take a long time to sort out.
    I'm like this, and I suspect this is even more the case for the Introverts.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Thanks Tamske. I don't pressure him towards being social since I'm a borderline extrovert. As far as emotional, Fi is my inferior function as Fe is his.

What seems to be a consistency with INTPs is that when it comes to emotional discussions, rather than addressing the issues at hand, they prefer to be tangential.

As far as insisting he be emotional, it's not an issue for me since I lean heavily T or Te, to the degree of 90 - 100% consistently. But I do need to be able to directly discuss issues.

ReflecTcelfeR

That's easy. Ti's diagnosis: Boss expects 4 hours worth of work to be done in 2 hours of actual time.
    I meant more why it's taking you four hours, instead of two, to get the job done.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

What would happen if an INTP made a thread entitled "Ask an INTP" and the only people that asked questions were other INTP's?
    See most of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonstone3 View Post
    It is because we INTPs communicate best to other INTPs.
    Or is it we say things that only interest ourselves?
    Or is it our unquenchable thirst for knowledge?
    All of the above, to an extent.

Good thing there are so many INTPs on this site that such a dynamic actually works.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    intj

Do other INTP's look down on "spiritual energy", "ghosts", and all that "lets hold hands and channel our energy" as much as I do?
    "In the book of life, the answers aren't always in the back" - Charlie Brown

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyMaster View Post
    Do other INTP's look down on "spiritual energy", "ghosts", and all that "lets hold hands and channel our energy" as much as I do?
    Uhh, yeah.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by vieamemusique View Post
    What type do you find yourself best matching with? Both on a platonic level and on a romantic one.
    Hmm... this is strictly personal, but here it is (not in any particular order):

Platonic: ENTP, INTJ, ENFJ, INFJ
    Romantic: I have absolutely no idea. I find INFP/INFJ males adorable though. Provided they are happy and healthy, of course!

I don't "look down" on those things but I am skeptical of them.
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I'm not sure that it's right for me to look down on this stuff and its practitioners from an morally logical standpoint, but I do. A lot of my personal value does come from knowledge backed by proof or, perhaps more importantly, logical soundness. Anytime someone is into something that seems patently illogical, be it anything from ghosts or other monsters or seances or psychic/mystical powers and energies or even Obama not being American or Bush causing 9/11, my immediate knee-jerk reaction is to scoff and roll my eyes, even if I know that with (some of) those beliefs, they are harmless and may serve as fulfilling beliefs to someone who has a different system of values.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?