Thread: Ask an INTP

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm-shift View Post
    INTPs and ENTPs are good for platonic relationships but not romantic ones.

I tend to be attracted to those with strong Fe because that's my aspirational function and am weak in it myself. So ESFJ, ISFJ, INFJ, and ENFJ I think would be good for romance.

I'd keep N too.

The ENTPs come across as more confident and less inhibited than I am. The ENTPs are alot more impulsive than I am.

I don't think an INTP could adapt well to an explicity SJ society. But to be fair, SJ does not equal mediocrity. If I was exposed to an explicity SJ society, I'd try to migrate to another society where my values were held in higher regard.

I would do better in the explicitly NF society because at least they share my intuitive preference. However, I would have a hard time with seeing ghosts, etc. as real things because I see imagination and belief as separate.

Yup. All of that.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Shmooooooooo View Post
    If you had to invert every single one of your letters except one, which one would you keep?
    I'd keep N.
    Without a doubt, I'd keep N.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    INTPs,
    What do you think is the biggest difference between you and the ENTPs?
    Would you like to be an Extravert instead? Why (not)?
    Pretty much what the others said. ENTP's appear to have more confidence (and in a lot of cases it may actually be true) because they are very capable of being the life of the party. The ENTP's I've known are capable of being very cerebral, but it's more balanced with social activities because Ti is the auxiliary function. They get out of the house and mingle more, their social life is usually more "normal" (whatever that means). We are a little more extreme in the sense that we'd rather be left alone with Ti 9 times out of 10. We spend so much time in our heads, that it's hard to "snap out of it" and engage people sometimes.

Basically, our Ti is a little more "hardcore" than theirs and our Ne is usually a little less developed than theirs.

I'd only want to be an ENTP if I could keep Ti as my primary function. Ti/Ne, yet somehow extroverted. But, then that wouldn't really be an ENTP. So, the answer is no. I wouldn't want to give up primary Ti.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm-shift View Post
    I don't think an INTP could adapt well to an explicity SJ society. But to be fair, SJ does not equal mediocrity.
    True, I know, but the society my hero lives in is both. It's much more extreme than ours. People have adapted themselves to the robots they are using. Instead of the robots becoming more human-like, the people have become more robot-like.
    If I was exposed to an explicity SJ society, I'd try to migrate to another society where my values were held in higher regard.
    What if the only other society you knew of was the NF one, and you've been taught all your life that's actually a mixture between a madhouse and a hell?

Thanks!
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

My SO is an INTP. What's the best way to make him feel better about himself? He has a lot of confidence in his areas of expertise such as career but emotionally, he can retreat to an near-embryonic state.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Do you agree with the following statement:

"Ne is about creating connections, Ni is about tearing them down."

ReflecTcelfeR

I would say that Ni is more discovering where the source of the connection occurs.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    My SO is an INTP. What's the best way to make him feel better about himself? He has a lot of confidence in his areas of expertise such as career but emotionally, he can retreat to an near-embryonic state.
    This might sound counter-intuitive, but tell him to learn to really appreciate Ti, which is and probably always will be his primary function. Fe will come along in due time with maturity (not sure how old he is) - I see mine coming along more and more as time passes. But, make no mistake, Ti is a huge asset to the INTP. The world operates in a way that would almost have the INTP believe that his Ti is useless. It is certainly undervalued and under appreciated. And if the INTP lacks internal fortitude and focus, this can cause him to tuck Ti away in his back pocket and just become "pouty" and depressed. If you took the primary function away from any type for any length of time, it would cause them to be unhappy, stressed, and probably depressed. That's why, I believe, INTP's so often retreat and just stay in Ti-mode for hours and hours and hours because this is the only place we really know how to operate in our primary function.

I am learning how to use Ti in an extroverted way. Some might call it Te. Maybe it is. Maybe I'm learning to use Te. But, I've become more patient with myself in social situations. If the situation calls for it, then I just let Ne run loose and joke with people and have fun with ideas. People will either think I'm hilarious or they'll think I'm a space cadet. Either way, I'm learning not to care. And I don't say that in a cynical way. I say it because I'm gaining confidence in how to put myself out there - and people are either going to like it or they aren't. But, I use Ti more and more in social situations - and you know what? It does well! Sometimes it's a little too intense for people or it scares them away or they think, "This guy doesn't mess around. He's a hard-nosed blah blah blah." But, people respect it when you put it out there.

What I'm saying is, it's OK to have emotions. But, Ti (his primary function) is not very emotional. It's tough. It's blunt. It's honest. It tells it like it is. It doesn't allow people to play head games or to manipulate. It calls people out on the B.S. Sometimes Ti isn't fun to be around, just like Te. But, Ti is our primary function. That's where we "belong" most of the time. There will be situations that call for Ne, Si, Fe, sure. But, learn to operate with Ti "out in the world". When he's wallowing and in that "embrionic state" that you speak of, it's because he's allowing Fe (his weakest function) to be boss. In those times, he needs to come back to Ti.

Example:

I have a supervisor who is always on everyone's case because we take too long on certain projects that he gives us. He will give us 4 hours of work and when we finish it in 4 hours, he will say, "What's your problem? That took way too long. This isn't working. You need to get it done in 2 hours or there's going to be some big changes." It's this kind of stuff every single day. He's really hard on his employees and everyone is afraid of the guy.

It's easy for an INTP to just become depressed about a situation like this. To just feel hopeless because this guy is owning you every single day at work. If we're operating in Fe, then we won't say anything back to him when he disrespects us. We'll just let him walk all over us in order to keep the peace.

But, if we operate in Ti, then we feel happier and others respect us more. It's a win-win situation. The other day when my boss said this, I said something like, "Look, with all due respect, I put 100% into this work and to top it off, I skipped my afternoon break just to please you. I didn't skip it because I wasn't hungry or I wasn't thirsty or I didn't want to take a break. I was hungry and I was thirsty and I did want a break. But, I wanted to be a team player and try to cut down on the time these projects are taking away from other work. That's about the best I can give you. If that's not good enough, then it's not going to work out anymore, because I'm giving you everything I've got."

It's basically a respectful, "Get off my back!" It's not "looking for a fight", but it's "standing up for what is right" and "not being a doormat".

The results are SO much better for the INTP than if he just goes, "Oh, OK boss. Sorry about that." Fe is good in some situations, but it's not the INTP's forte.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

ReflecTcelfeR

I suppose what would help even more is if you could use Ti to diagnose the specific issue that is driving down efficiency.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

That's easy. Ti's diagnosis: Boss expects 4 hours worth of work to be done in 2 hours of actual time.

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    This might sound counter-intuitive, but tell him to learn to really appreciate Ti, which is and probably always will be his primary function. Fe will come along in due time with maturity (not sure how old he is) - I see mine coming along more and more as time passes. But, make no mistake, Ti is a huge asset to the INTP. The world operates in a way that would almost have the INTP believe that his Ti is useless. It is certainly undervalued and under appreciated. And if the INTP lacks internal fortitude and focus, this can cause him to tuck Ti away in his back pocket and just become "pouty" and depressed. If you took the primary function away from any type for any length of time, it would cause them to be unhappy, stressed, and probably depressed. That's why, I believe, INTP's so often retreat and just stay in Ti-mode for hours and hours and hours because this is the only place we really know how to operate in our primary function.

I am learning how to use Ti in an extroverted way. Some might call it Te. Maybe it is. Maybe I'm learning to use Te. But, I've become more patient with myself in social situations. If the situation calls for it, then I just let Ne run loose and joke with people and have fun with ideas. People will either think I'm hilarious or they'll think I'm a space cadet. Either way, I'm learning not to care. And I don't say that in a cynical way. I say it because I'm gaining confidence in how to put myself out there - and people are either going to like it or they aren't. But, I use Ti more and more in social situations - and you know what? It does well! Sometimes it's a little too intense for people or it scares them away or they think, "This guy doesn't mess around. He's a hard-nosed blah blah blah." But, people respect it when you put it out there.

What I'm saying is, it's OK to have emotions. But, Ti (his primary function) is not very emotional. It's tough. It's blunt. It's honest. It tells it like it is. It doesn't allow people to play head games or to manipulate. It calls people out on the B.S. Sometimes Ti isn't fun to be around, just like Te. But, Ti is our primary function. That's where we "belong" most of the time. There will be situations that call for Ne, Si, Fe, sure. But, learn to operate with Ti "out in the world". When he's wallowing and in that "embrionic state" that you speak of, it's because he's allowing Fe (his weakest function) to be boss. In those times, he needs to come back to Ti.

Example:

I have a supervisor who is always on everyone's case because we take too long on certain projects that he gives us. He will give us 4 hours of work and when we finish it in 4 hours, he will say, "What's your problem? That took way too long. This isn't working. You need to get it done in 2 hours or there's going to be some big changes." It's this kind of stuff every single day. He's really hard on his employees and everyone is afraid of the guy.

It's easy for an INTP to just become depressed about a situation like this. To just feel hopeless because this guy is owning you every single day at work. If we're operating in Fe, then we won't say anything back to him when he disrespects us. We'll just let him walk all over us in order to keep the peace.

But, if we operate in Ti, then we feel happier and others respect us more. It's a win-win situation. The other day when my boss said this, I said something like, "Look, with all due respect, I put 100% into this work and to top it off, I skipped my afternoon break just to please you. I didn't skip it because I wasn't hungry or I wasn't thirsty or I didn't want to take a break. I was hungry and I was thirsty and I did want a break. But, I wanted to be a team player and try to cut down on the time these projects are taking away from other work. That's about the best I can give you. If that's not good enough, then it's not going to work out anymore, because I'm giving you everything I've got."

It's basically a respectful, "Get off my back!" It's not "looking for a fight", but it's "standing up for what is right" and "not being a doormat".

The results are SO much better for the INTP than if he just goes, "Oh, OK boss. Sorry about that." Fe is good in some situations, but it's not the INTP's forte.
    He's 39.

Actually, this makes a lot of sense. His most attractive traits are his Ti/Ne combination. He's really smart and witty but good lord, when something emotional doesn't go his way, he turtles and as you said "pouts" over how tragic the world is.

Thanks very much! I'll go punt him back to Ti. Or should I slowly nurture him back? Nurturing is not my strong suit when it comes to partners, since Fi is my wonkiest function (inferior, yuck).