User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    xNTP

Cool Is it possible to be both extroverted and introverted?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now:

When I'm in a pretty bad mood, I get introverted, and prefer to avoid people and focus on doing things myself. Basically I'm more of an INTP.

On the other side, when I'm in a great mood, I get very extroverted, and I am eager to meet new people and share the "energy". I guess I become an ENTP.

Is this possible?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

The sense of MBTI is to point out your preferences. All people can use all functions, but they usually will prefer one to another. When you usually are introverted, then your type is that of an I. Just try to find out what is more natural to you usually.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

It's all perspective, so it's more of an academic principle than anything. There's no absolute measurement for "extroversion" or "intuition", as the entire field is fairly subjective and more about defining the moment.

So, to answer your question - yes. It's possible.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

You don't really become one or the other.

Mood can definitely impact whether someone wants to engage... and what they desire when they're in a bad mood.

In practical experience, too, introverts can be shy when they don't know people but very engaging when they know people well.

Focus more on your energy flow, especially in large gatherings. Can you buzz all night long and feel disappointed the night is over and can't sleep... or do you buzz, buzz, buzz, buzz... then suddenly CRASH GOTTA GO NOW sort of experience?

... maybe you're entroverted.
    Or ixtroverted.
    Yeah.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Focus more on your energy flow, especially in large gatherings. Can you buzz all night long and feel disappointed the night is over and can't sleep... or do you buzz, buzz, buzz, buzz... then suddenly CRASH GOTTA GO NOW sort of experience?
    This question solved it for me. I can't stand large gatherings =). Thanks for the prompt response!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by myrow View Post
    Is it possible to be both extroverted and introverted?
    I suppose Bill Clinton might respond with, "It depends on what the meaning of the word `is' is."
    C.G. Jung -- who coined the terms `introvert' and `extravert' also conceived of ambivert to apply to those who could `swing both ways', if you know what I mean.

As the MBTI deals with average preferences only, one may experience instantaneous preferences at odds with their average, typical, characteristic preferences.

ReflecTcelfeR

If I've interpreted Carl Jung correctly it is possible.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhart View Post
    The sense of MBTI is to point out your preferences. All people can use all functions, but they usually will prefer one to another. When you usually are introverted, then your type is that of an I. Just try to find out what is more natural to you usually.
    Thank you!

Jesus, it's REALLY simple, folks.

It's not about what you're good at/not good at.

THE QUESTION IS:

Which do you generally PREFER?????

Which is more comfortable or natural to you??????

It's SOOOOOOOOOO incredibly simple.

AGH!

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

Also being extraverted doesn't mean you seek interaction with people. For T-type extraverts I've noticed their extraversion is often directed at environment that may not include people. I've known an ENTP who by commonly accepted definition would be a total introvert. His extraversion was directed at electronics, gadgets, his computers, he was often buying some new gadget, upgrading his computer, cracking some programs, buying various other kind of electronics, reading news on new products that came out, selling his old stuff and juggling his money in hopes to afford a new shiny electronic toy. This is what he spend 90% of his free time on. He only interacted with people from work really and had very few friends. It is usually the F-type extraverts who fits the common definition of extraversion i.e. socializing, partying, and wanting to be with people.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

OBVIOUSLY NOT