User Tag List

12311 Last

Thread: Ask an ENTJ!

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Ask an ENTJ!

I know. I am not an ENTJ. But I want an "ask an ENTJ" thread because I want to ask questions to the ENTJs, so I've made one

I've created my very first ENTJ character and wrote a little scene. Now I'm wondering whether I've captured it well. Would an ENTJ do something like this?

ENTJ: INFP, you're doing it wrong!
    INFP: Er...
    ENTJ: You're just satisfying your own addiction instead of doing your work.
    INFP: What? Now listen here, how do you know what's the right way? Look I've got these results!
    ENTJ: Okay, so now we need to do this and that.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

OK, I'll play.

Dear ENTJ's,

What words accurately describe you when someone does not go with your "plan"?

As an example, let's say that you organize a weekly meeting. You organize it because it is going to increase knowledge and make people more competent. It's good for everyone involved and for the organization. You organize it in the evening, outside of normal work hours. You have specific results in mind and you expect people to be "on board" with your vision. You are driven with this project.

You have 3 types of people you are dealing with:

(a) your core group of 3 or 4 people who show up every week and who actively participate in your vision, but they still don't take it quite as seriously as you do.
    (b) you have another 3 or 4 who show up sometimes, and other times they don't. Basically, they see it as a voluntary thing (an open invitation) and if they don't feel like coming, then they don't.
    (c) you've got others who have been invited, but just flat-out are not interested.

How do you see each of these categories of people? Flaky? Not as driven as you? Do they frustrate you? Can you still respect them even though they don't take it as seriously as you do? Do the ones who actively participate get more loyalty from you than the ones who don't?
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

why should i ask an entj?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Dear ENTJs:

How do I get you out of my dreams, and into my car?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    why should i ask an entj?
    You shouldn't. They have nothing for you.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

How do you see each of these categories of people? Flaky? Not as driven as you? Do they frustrate you? Can you still respect them even though they don't take it as seriously as you do? Do the ones who actively participate get more loyalty from you than the ones who don't?
    Why not just take care of it during normal work hours, make the meeting mandatory, and not worry?

If this isn't something important enough to take care of during the day, then it must not be that important to the point that we can expect people to show up when they're not getting paid for it. Hell, I wouldn't show up to someone else's bull-session without getting paid either. And if these are salaried employees, asking them to show up after work is a great way to kill morale.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by JHBowden View Post
    Why not just take care of it during normal work hours, make the meeting mandatory, and not worry?
    Because, in this particular case, you can't make it mandatory.

Let me put it to you this way: Let's say it's a social cause that you feel very devoted to. You're trying to get some "force" behind the cause and to gain momentum for the cause. It's not a situation where you can pay people to attend. But, you want them to attend. You're consistently calling them, reminding them of the upcoming meeting, encouraging them to show up and help out where they can, asking them if they have any suggestions as to how it can be done better, etc. You want bodies, you want people, you want a support team, because you realize that you can't do it by yourself.

But, they aren't as enthused, as consistent, or as dedicated as you are. While you are "pumped up" and "come on guys!" and "let's get this done", most of the others are more, "meh, did anyone bring milk and brownies tonight?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

By the way, I'm looking for a general response to "how do you see people who don't really get on board with what you are trying to accomplish" (could be your wife, your kid, your buddy, your co-worker, your subordinate, your boss, etc.). I'm not looking for the answer to this exact situation, I'm just looking for insight into how ENTJ's tend to react, or how they see people who just aren't very cooperative towards the thing that the ENTJ wants to accomplish.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

I'll be honest.

I get really irritated. Especially when I've busted my ass to do something and some, even if it is a small number, are just being jackasses about it. It's not because they don't go along with what I say -- but because they refuse to even give any sort of input to better whatever it is.

For example, for father's day this year I (the second youngest child of seven) wanted to do something special for my dad as it was a tough year for him health wise. So I told all of my brothers and sisters that we were doing a family portrait for the first time in nearly ten years. They all loved the idea...until it got closer and closer when they kept giving excuses (I can't, I have a concert. Sorry, I'm going to be busy that week, etc, etc). I gave a two month advance on the night we were going to take pictures -- and I had to reschedule THREE TIMES for them.

Half of them showed up wearing the wrong thing because they said they couldn't find the clothes they needed (they didn't know this until the night of). Needless to say, the picture turned out not as I expected. I was LIVID that these people were so moronic and selfish they couldn't give an hour for their dad.

So, since this situation -- I just become irritatingly bossy to people in attempts that something like that never happens again. Hmph.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by vieamemusique View Post
    I'll be honest.

I get really irritated. Especially when I've busted my ass to do something and some, even if it is a small number, are just being jackasses about it. It's not because they don't go along with what I say -- but because they refuse to even give any sort of input to better whatever it is.

For example, for father's day this year I (the second youngest child of seven) wanted to do something special for my dad as it was a tough year for him health wise. So I told all of my brothers and sisters that we were doing a family portrait for the first time in nearly ten years. They all loved the idea...until it got closer and closer when they kept giving excuses (I can't, I have a concert. Sorry, I'm going to be busy that week, etc, etc). I gave a two month advance on the night we were going to take pictures -- and I had to reschedule THREE TIMES for them.

Half of them showed up wearing the wrong thing because they said they couldn't find the clothes they needed (they didn't know this until the night of). Needless to say, the picture turned out not as I expected. I was LIVID that these people were so moronic and selfish they couldn't give an hour for their dad.

So, since this situation -- I just become irritatingly bossy to people in attempts that something like that never happens again. Hmph.
    Thanks for the honest answer. Sounds very similar to an ENTJ friend of mine. He's very patient so far, but there are times where I suspect that he is fuming underneath the surface. I can sense it. And being an NT, I know I'd be peaved if I were him (the leader of the cause). I get peaved and I'm not even the one heading up the effort. And the way you described it sounds very similar to what I would be thinking (internally, not so much vocally) in a similar situation. While the ENTJ default response might be a show of force or to become bossy, the INTP default response (or at least mine) is more of a withdrawal from the situation altogether. Thinking along the lines of, "I just can't deal with the incompetence, so you guys can just figure it out on your own. I'll do my own thing." I'm getting better at that (not doing it as much, trying to work with people, be more cooperative) but, like you said, it's very frustrating.