Will

Are ENTJs fond of world domination?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Thanks for the reply, Redbone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    I have seen this in other ENTJs. I think Te/Ti-doms are just prone to this. That they can appear friendly or engaging enough until you hit this barrier.
    That makes sense. I'd seen it in Ti-doms but it feels so different with extroverts, you know? You expect IxTPs to be reserved, but not so much ExTJs. Would you consider yourself to be the same way, re: inner world/outer world/etc?
    My sister is like this very much. She is intense, energetic and even engaging. But simultaneously distant and insulated. She doesn't let too many people get underneath that. I was just talking to my ESTJ a little while ago and he was saying that he's the same way. That people think they know him, he's friendly, out-going, blah, blah but that they really don't know him because he's kept himself from them.
    Ooh. I relate a LOT to that.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Redbone!

That makes sense. I'd seen it in Ti-doms but it feels so different with extroverts, you know? You expect IxTPs to be reserved, but not so much ExTJs. Would you consider yourself to be the same way, re: inner world/outer world/etc?

Ooh. I relate a LOT to that.
    You got it.

Yeah, it does. The contrast between what the public/acquaintance face shows and what people allowed into the inner circle see is amazing. Like a totally different person. The Te-doms I know can be incredibly indulgent, long-suffering, and very willing to please the people they are deeply attached to. If someone can ever get there. From what I see, they decide fairly quickly if you even have a chance at it and never change their mind. I can understand this.

Yes...I'm like that, too. Definitely. Wonder how this looks from the outside? *ponders*

Hehe...I know another ESTJ that has said almost the same exact words!

MBTI
    ENTJ

I don't feel that I present a 'different' person to others than to those few who really know me - 'incomplete' would be a better word. It's not like I'm pretending to be someone I'm not, there's just some things that I would probably never even consider talking about/revealing to some other people. And yes, I ALWAYS get the 'you're so open and honest and easy to know!' thing and just...nope. It doesn't bug me when people think this, because I know exactly why they do - I DO seem open and honest etc., because I am, and I think a lot of people expect a certain kind of obvious personality type - furtive, introverted etc. when they think of highly private types.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Reviving this thread b/c firstly, it needs to be revived, and secondly, I figured it would make more sense to post my question here than to make a new thread about it.

I've noticed that of all the extroverts I'm good friends with, whose MBTI types I know, the ENTJs are the only ones with this detached quality that I would have associated more with introverts. I'm asking this question without being fully aware of how to articulate what I've been observing, but the best I can come up with is that they are functioning in the outer world while maintaining a fully insulated and protected inner world. That as extroverted as they are, and as involved in the outer world as they are, they're only interacting with half of their energy -- meaning, when they do use all their energy on something, it's abnormal and a little scary.

So, my multi-part question is:
    1. Am I imagining this?
    2. If not, is it the Te, or is it the Ni, or is it both? (Meaning, is this something that others observe in ESTJs as well? because I have no ESTJ friends and thus cannot compare the two with any degree of accuracy.)
    You are not imagining it. lol I think in general ENTJ's can be more introverted than most extraverts. But that's just my impression.

I can get to talking a lot if I'm tryin to work something out in my head. I will talk for about 10 mins or so untill I worked out a conclusion. That's about it for me though. I don't like to talk too much, because I don't want to be rude. In an intimate relationship, I HAVE to date and introvert. Otherwise I would not be able to do all of the introverted activities that I like to do.

I used to not like ESTJ's to be honest. It was because one of my boss's was one though. And she was just a terrible person at heart, so I got a very bad first impression of ESTJ's. Now I have an ESTJ boss, I don't hate, but I don't love. I just understand her. That's all. And it's actually nice. The only thing I see her do that used to annoy me is that she just talks, talks about herself, and talks some more...usually while zipping by...and I'm like "what?" Then she just keeps on talking, cause she is not paying attention to the other people around her lol... One of my good friends is an ESTJ though. I also work with her. She is not "detached" though. Both of them actually Te their way to Fi. Their Fi shows. A lot. Like my boss makes sure people don't come to work when they're sick because she doesn't want to be sick while she goes on vacation. That to me, is an example of her showing that she cares...even for selfish reasons lol. I don't find someone that says that "detached"

ENTJ's are probably more detached then ESTJ's ime. I think you can get to know ESTJ easier...I can't put into words, but something makes them more open, I think.

It's like the ESTJ you have to get to know enough or something then everythings fine and they trust you. Same goes for ENTJ. But I think there's another onion layer or something to an ENTJ. So more like an ESTJ had 2 modes(#1 acquaintance, #2 Secure with someone). And an ENTJ has 3(# aquaintance, #2 Secure with someone, #3 DEVOTED to something/someone). For me at least, the third mode is rarely activated. <--I have never gotten to this point. It would be scary for me and probably the other person. I'm not that open with anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    The Te-doms I know can be incredibly indulgent, long-suffering, and very willing to please the people they are deeply attached to. If someone can ever get there. From what I see, they decide fairly quickly if you even have a chance at it and never change their mind. I can understand this.

I agree with this, but in reference to the bold, if I meet someone for the first time and they turn out to be this awesome, crazy-kool person, that I know I can trust. They can get there. We do decide to from the get go if there is even a chance that the other person will be let into our world. But I have changed my mind before. It has to be a considerable thing that the other person does to make me change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ladymish View Post
    I don't feel that I present a 'different' person to others than to those few who really know me - 'incomplete' would be a better word. It's not like I'm pretending to be someone I'm not, there's just some things that I would probably never even consider talking about/revealing to some other people. And yes, I ALWAYS get the 'you're so open and honest and easy to know!' thing and just...nope. It doesn't bug me when people think this, because I know exactly why they do - I DO seem open and honest etc., because I am, and I think a lot of people expect a certain kind of obvious personality type - furtive, introverted etc. when they think of highly private types.
    yes incomplete is the best word I agree.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I've noticed that of all the extroverts I'm good friends with, whose MBTI types I know, the ENTJs are the only ones with this detached quality that I would have associated more with introverts. I'm asking this question without being fully aware of how to articulate what I've been observing, but the best I can come up with is that they are functioning in the outer world while maintaining a fully insulated and protected inner world. That as extroverted as they are, and as involved in the outer world as they are, they're only interacting with half of their energy -- meaning, when they do use all their energy on something, it's abnormal and a little scary.

So, my multi-part question is:
    1. Am I imagining this?
    2. If not, is it the Te, or is it the Ni, or is it both? (Meaning, is this something that others observe in ESTJs as well? because I have no ESTJ friends and thus cannot compare the two with any degree of accuracy.)
    I think @Redbone gave a fairly solid response to this question.

I'll add that I don't think you're imagining this as I've been told numerous times in the past that I'm very much "in my head". One explanation is that it's a function of tert Se. I don't always pay attention to what's going on around me so much as I'm absorbed by something there aren't really words for. The energy between the people around me, the feeling of being in my own skin, or just the rhythmn of the world and being apart of it. When there's something beyond me that's worth emerging for, then I do. Most things and people don't pique my interest like that, though.

This whole thought that you have kinda reminds me of the comment that you made about inferior Fi, and how it's a part of yourself that the Te part guards. What you perceive of us might be what that feels like to non-ETJs. That they know they're only seeing part of us, without being certain of what it is we have behind the curtain.

Finally, speaking personally, I do compartmentalize a fair amount. I show what I feel is most likely to meet the person where they are and establish common ground. I'm not dishonest, I'm just more complex than is usually convenient to let on.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    I think @Redbone gave a fairly solid response to this question.

I'll add that I don't think you're imagining this as I've been told numerous times in the past that I'm very much "in my head". One explanation is that it's a function of tert Se. I don't always pay attention to what's going on around me so much as I'm absorbed by something there aren't really words for. The energy between the people around me, the feeling of being in my own skin, or just the rhythm of the world and being apart of it. When there's something beyond me that's worth emerging for, then I do. Most things and people don't pique my interest like that, though.
    Do you think this would be generally true of any type with tert Se? I'm just remembering discussions I've seen about ENFJs being rather introvert-like and I've seen several ENFJs describe the above with only slightly different wording.
    Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Sinmara View Post
    Do you think this would be generally true of any type with tert Se? I'm just remembering discussions I've seen about ENFJs being rather introvert-like and I've seen several ENFJs describe the above with only slightly different wording.
    Sure. If theres anything to my explanation, it would be something shared by all ENJs.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth