User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

Thread: Ask an ENTJ!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Wanting to do it and being capable of doing it are two different things.

That said, yeah, I've talked my way out of a ticket or few.
    Sure. I can see an ENTJ hypothetically talking their way out of a ticket. It's the idea of one of us charming our way out that doesnt exactly sound to type.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post
    Sure. I can see an ENTJ hypothetically talking their way out of a ticket. It's the idea of one of us charming our way out that doesnt exactly sound to type.

ThatGirl

Who has the patience to charm? I've never been able to get in someones good graces before I just snap because the whole thing is so ridiculous in the first place.

Edit: Incidentally I think TK is an ENFJ, he can talk his way out of anything.

True story!

Teacher: TK why did you just hit that little boy!

TK: I didn't hit him! I was checking to see if he had fever!

Teacher tells me: Honestly most of the time he is very good with the other children. He compromises, and is always coming up with ideas for the kids. But every now and then, he will put his foot down, and stubbornly refuse to compromise about something.

Me: Yeah, I've noticed. :/

MBTI
    eNTJ

A lot of the time when people are making generalizations about ENTJs I do not relate at all to what they are saying-- my personal belief is that when people are generalizing ENTJs they are mainly referring to male ENTJs. Either that or i've been severely mistyped. Any thoughts on this?

ThatGirl

Depends, people make all sorts of generalizations about types. Some pertain to what they produce, what they should be interested in, how they act, what they think. Which generalizations do you find yourself not relating to?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx

I am ENTP.

I know one confirmed ISTJ (13-16% of the population)
    1 ISFJ (13-16%).
    1 ESFJ
    3 ISTP
    8 ENTJ !!! (3-4%). All male. All confirmed with tests and agree with description. One suspected ENTJ female but she hasn't taken the test.

How come? There seems to be a huge disproportion here.

Have you noticed anything in particular as ENTJs about ENTPs that can explain this disproportionate number of ENTJ acquittances (from different fields and countries but all male).

Some of those people have actually even helped me without having financial incentives to do so. Some have screwed me over when that made them money.

But still I don't understand why so many. It is weird enough for me to actually write about it here hoping somebody has had relevant observations from an ENTJ's POV.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by shoshana View Post
    A lot of the time when people are making generalizations about ENTJs I do not relate at all to what they are saying-- my personal belief is that when people are generalizing ENTJs they are mainly referring to male ENTJs. Either that or i've been severely mistyped. Any thoughts on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Istbkleta View Post
    But still I don't understand why so many. It is weird enough for me to actually write about it here hoping somebody has had relevant observations from an ENTJ's POV.
    I think the descriptions are generally skewed, not necessarily towards men, but to a hyper-professional perspective on us. I notice that even on sites where other types are discussed in contexts beyond the workplace, all anyone can seem to focus on about ENTJs is OMGCEOZLOLZ, or whatever. I think as a type there's a lot that could seem contradictory about the ENTJ, but you'd never see it unless you knew one of us well. I also think that if the description does happen to be skewed more towards the men, it's because: a)there aren't a lot of us, b)most ENTJ are men, and c)males are frankly more likely to be recognized "in the wild" as ENTJ because it's more socially acceptable for them to act fully "to type" than it is for a woman. As a female ENTJ, I've had to adopt certain social strategies in lieu of my more natural assertiveness for the sake of being personally effective. It's entirely possible that you are ENTJ, but you don't necessarily act like one because we just can't do it like the boys do all the time.

Having said that, I've met several other ENTJs in my life, and found us to have a lot in common. While all were men (and all but one much older), I found our similarities to be striking in terms of how we viewed, understood, and related to the world. I've never met an ENTJ man that didn't feel like a homeboy after 5 mins of talking, and these are people that any other source wouldn't be considered the "warm and relateable" type. Have you read our description from Best Fit Type, @shoshana? It's in first person, and both in sentiment and syntax feels like something I'd have written myself:

Not organizing and not problem solving is hard for me. I am most comfortable in the idea development stage—the push for putting things together, new solutions, and improvements to take us to the next step. I have several dimensions I work in.

My focus has always been on finding what’s preventing us from doing what we need to do. If it’s lack of confidence or motivation, the solution is building that. If it’s lack of skills, it’s building skills. If it’s rules or other inhibitors, I work to eliminate those. I value people, but I am quick to judge their value to the system and quick to judge my personal desire to be involved with them. I stand off if they don’t meet my standards quickly, which can make me hard to know, and I think I am unwilling to get into other people’s motivations.

My response to making a mistake is, “Did you learn anything? If so, great, it was worth it, and don’t make the same mistake again.” This kind of critiquing is easy for me, and I admire—and like to have around me—people who have a real, genuine concern for others and who see the positives. But then there is a time when I sit back and say people have to get on board with the way I see things because it’s the right way to go. It took me a while to learn the value of cutting people some slack. Although I appear to dominate, when people get to know me, I really don’t. I let them do their own thing. With people I judge as friendly or want to get to know, I open up quickly, although I don’t actually go out and do things to make others like me.

I respect wisdom and kindness and competent, knowledgeable people who are willing to share with others. I won’t buy into anything just because the person who says it is the leader. It has to make sense to me—consistent and free of contradictions. If it’s a plan, I have to believe it’s doable. If it’s a philosophy, it must match mine from the outset. I think integrity means keeping one’s word and sticking to my espoused principles even when it’s easier not to. Honesty is important...

I am my own worst critic. I want perfect achievement of myself, and sometimes I have a fear of suddenly waking up and being known as someone who doesn’t really know anything.

I love to discover new approaches and really prefer creating and beginning things, organizing projects and programs, and then teaching someone else how to do them and handing them off. Although if someone has a better idea, then let’s go with it, and if the system’s values and mechanisms line up for me, whoever the leader is, then I guess I am probably one of the most loyal. Probably my goals are patience, wisdom, and discipline—wisdom to focus on the right priorities and correct decisions and patience to take the time to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by shoshana View Post
    Thatgirl had a good question. What don't you relate to within the ENTJ descriptions?

8 ENTJ !!! (3-4%). All male. All confirmed with tests and agree with description. One suspected ENTJ female but she hasn't taken the test.

How come? There seems to be a huge disproportion here.

Have you noticed anything in particular as ENTJs about ENTPs that can explain this disproportionate number of ENTJ acquittances (from different fields and countries but all male).

Some of those people have actually even helped me without having financial incentives to do so. Some have screwed me over when that made them money.

I'd be shocked if they were all ENTJs. Males seem to be drawn to the ENTJ descriptions from Kiersey about being a Field Martial. You'll find many male ESTJs mistyping themselves and being mistyped as ENTJs since they share Te-dom and Fi-inferior with us. But the middle two functions tell. Si isn't like Ni. You'll notice a greater rigidity from Si-auxes (ESTJs), greater fixations on details and often, adhere to traditional values. Ni has no timeline boundaries. It synthesizes past, present and future. Si looks to the past as its guideline, to compare to present.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    I think the descriptions are generally skewed, not necessarily towards men, but to a hyper-professional perspective on us.
    I am a male ENTP.

I find those people surprisingly helpful and warm, though not in the traditional sense.

I am asking for an explanation why so many ENTJs as opposed to the other types.

Perhaps they are the only type to put up with ENTPs? I've noticed they are generally much more open to my crazy ideas. I am speculating.

They are surprisingly similar once I get to know them. All like working, open to new things, etc.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I am a male ENTP.

I find those people surprisingly helpful and warm, though not in the traditional sense.

I am asking for an explanation why so many ENTJs as opposed to the other types.

Perhaps they are the only type to put up with ENTPs? I've noticed they are generally much more open to my crazy ideas. I am speculating.

They are surprisingly similar once I get to know them. All like working, open to new things, etc.
    I addressed your question. Jenaphor's response did as well.