3 5.00%
  • INTX

8 13.33%
  • XNTJ

4 6.67%
  • XNTP

6 10.00%
First 678910 Last

It is I. Kant, metasapiens, unless you mean Eva.

MBTI
    intP

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I can only guess and disagree why from my meagre individual perspective, which is totally biased toward philosophy and its importance. Since you seem to know the right decision while spitting on philosophy, I thought I could, perhaps, profit from your reasoning.
    Ever since I paid attention to what Plato and Kant said, I thought philosophy was long-winded justification for ridiculous answers to unanswerable questions. Mental masturbation fantasizing about reality.

You can't be sure past "I think therefore I am."

Perhaps philosophers provide value by exploring different ways of answering unanswerable questions, but these questions ultimately must be answered by each person according to their own values and conscience. A person's time is ultimately better spent studying himself than grandiloquent dead guys. The onus of consistency is a requirement of academia but not of the heart.

"Know thyself" is the truest wisdom.

So if philosophy is a dead end because it seeks to answer unanswerable questions where should an intellect be applied? Science and engineering, obviously.

But it is a personal emotional requirement that I need to feel useful and expend my efforts fruitfully and i understand not everybody is burdened so.

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    N>JI

It is I. Kant, metasapiens, unless you mean Eva.
    Immanuel and Emmanuel, same forename, different languages

MBTI
    intP

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?
    I haven't forsaken you, I just get cranky before I drink my coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by suttree View Post
    Ever since I paid attention to what Plato and Kant said, I thought philosophy was long-winded justification for ridiculous answers to unanswerable questions. Mental masturbation fantasizing about reality.
    Real philosophy begins with wonder; then questions follow. Academic philosophy is much more about the questions than the answers.

[...] but these questions ultimately must be answered by each person according to their own values and conscience. A person's time is ultimately better spent studying himself than grandiloquent dead guys.
    I believe - for good reasons - that a philosopher's first and foremost end is to find answers to questions that they themself find important. To answer them, they have to explore the world but also themself. To think about man is to think about yourself and vice versa.

"Know thyself" is the truest wisdom.
    Actually, is does not assert anything. The mantra does reflect a certain insight or wisdom, though.

So if philosophy is a dead end because it seeks to answer unanswerable questions where should an intellect be applied? Science and engineering, obviously.
    It is not a requirement for a philosophical questions to be unanswerable. It is, in fact, not even welcome. Many philosophers have abandoned metaphysics because of its bizarre and half-religious nature.

However, to question yourself, your goals in life, to ponder whether to become a mystic or a scientist, to know that 'knowing thyself' will influence your happiness, to decide that philosophy is futile business - to even think about these issues is essentially philosophical.

But it is a personal emotional requirement that I need to feel useful and expend my efforts fruitfully and i understand not everybody is burdened so.
    Do you honestly believe the pope fancies himself use- and fruitless?

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Wile E. Coyote--it says so on his card.

MBTI
    intP

It sounds as if we are in basic agreement.

It is not a requirement for a philosophical questions to be unanswerable. It is, in fact, not even welcome. Many philosophers have abandoned metaphysics because of its bizarre and half-religious nature.
    It seems to me that philosophy, or perhaps as it is practiced academically, is concerned precisely with questions that are unanswerable. When a question can be answered it becomes part of another discipline. Look at economics as a social science or even the grpwth of natural philosophy to science.

However, to question yourself, your goals in life, to ponder whether to become a mystic or a scientist, to know that 'knowing thyself' will influence your happiness, to decide that philosophy is futile business - to even think about these issues is essentially philosophical.
    Perhaps these questions are philosophical in nature but asking them of yourself does not make you a philosopher, it makes you human. Most of the well known philosophers lived so far from the normal human experience they have little to offer in terms of guidance.

Sigh, I suppose Im a materialist and a moderate existentialist... but I'm no philosopher, dammit.

Do you honestly believe the pope fancies himself use- and fruitless?
    The pope's mind is an utter mystery to me.

Please excuse my smartass rhetoric. Allowing each individual to determine their own values means everyone has a slightly different ideas of usefulness, which means thoughtful, intelligent people make different choices than I make.

Trying to apply ethical ideas consistently... dammit I'm philosophizing again.

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

I believe - for good reasons - that a philosopher's first and foremost end is to find answers to questions that they themself find important. To answer them, they have to explore the world but also themself. To think about man is to think about yourself and vice versa.
    Indeed, by studying these grandiloquent and dead philosophers and their philosophies, we may come to a better understanding of ourselves and what we want to accomplish and what we think is good or bad. By studying these certain sorts of philosophies a person can come to a better understanding of himself -- Suttree has somehow forgotten this is true and so his paragraph borders upon the ironic.

Actually, is does not assert anything. The mantra does reflect a certain insight or wisdom, though.
    I find it odd that he is using a philosophical approach to justify his position -- philosophically. Hehehehe.

Clap. Clap. Clap.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4~9

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    You're a dumbtard.

NFs can be scientific geniuses, literary geniuses, philosophical geniuses, you name it.

Every type can be geniuses in their own way.
    "...Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?"
    Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
    "At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland"
    "Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting"

- The City Of Bones

Here is my blog where I post my thoughts and feelings. Please have a go and comment if you like.