• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Becoming a "good" version of an INTP

ygolo

My termites win
Warning:This is going to be a long post. I don't expect answers to everything. Any positive input is appreciated. If parts are too complicated/convoluted, feel free to ignore it.

One of the things that understanding one's type is supposed to do is help with personal growth and development.

I have convinced myself that a pro. would type me as an INTP.

So, I am trying to become a "good" version of an INTP.

However, I have a hard time envisioning what that would mean to me. I looked at INTP strengths. Some I identify with, some I don't.

I will start of my trying to find real-life examples of INTPs in good relationships.

So do people know "good" INTPs?
Why would you say they were "good?"
How have they been "good" to you?
What are their qualities?
What are some good memories you have of them?

Then I'll move on to career.

I am already pretty far along a career path suggested by Do What You Are (Software developer. Though I made a switch from software to silicon (due to curiosity) about 8 years ago, the intellectual rewards were more for me).

Still, my job is one of the least satisfying aspect of my life.

I am also very close (this June, hopefully, if the reimbursement people would stop playing clerical games) to getting my Master's relevant to this field.

I am fascinated by the particular industry and like the potential I see in it. However, the past couple of years on the job (due to a re-organization) have been fairly miserable.

Know any INTPs who made successful career changes?
What was key to finding/making the work satisfying to them?

Frankly, in terms of sheer number of hours in one's life. Satisfying relationships and career, along with good health seems like a very "good" life.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
So do people know "good" INTPs?
Why would you say they were "good?"
How have they been "good" to you?
What are their qualities?
What are some good memories you have of them?
Xander is an example of a good INTP. I like him because he is friendly and relaxed. He has no guile.

Barron and Tieger say:
"When they turn their highly honed critical thinking skills on the people around them, their naked honesty may translate into unintended hurtfulness.
"Do What You Are, INTP short profile, p. 43.

I used to do this too, and might still, though I hope not as much. It seems that INTPs and INTJs have this in common, that they are perfectionists, and expect perfection of themselves, and sometimes, of the people around them. I think of perfectionism as a serious personality defect because no one can actually be perfect. The unrealistic expectations we carry can only do damage to ourselves and our relationships.

That's why I think it's important to do all I can to disabuse myself of perfectionism. I have come a long way, but still have some way to go. There is such a thing as "good enough". I had to learn to accept "good enough" and not see it as a compromise of my integrity or standards. I had to learn to see my standards as ridiculous.

...Satisfying relationships and career, along with good health seems like a very "good" life.
I agree with you.