• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] I want some serious advice

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I want advice. Good advice.

My life is a fucking mess. I haven't really worked in over a year. I don't know what I want, both immediately and long term. I like the idea of having a family but I'm also obsessed with spirituality and meditative-like disciplines.

I have family problems. My mom thinks I'm nuts for trying to help her become happier. She thinks I'm all wrong but I know I'm not. I think it's a long process that isn't easy at first as you give up your addictions and confront fears. I try to help her and have helped both my brothers, but I don't know if my way is the best way. I think it's good. Related to this, I don't trust anyone's opinion unless they can prove to me that they're better at understanding people than I am, or, better at understanding motivations and outcomes. You can call it wisdom. It sounds incredibly arrogant, I know, but I think I'm good at it, having practiced and contemplated this stuff for years. I think I've become really good at helping others and have references to prove it. But that knowledge doesn't translate into action for me.

Part of the problem is that I just don't manage to pull things together. I have opportunities, but I neglect them. I don't ever make decisions and step forward, I just circle around and around with everything up in the air. It's not that I can't, it's that I don't, but who knows, maybe I can't. I look at people I admire--Einstein, Feynman, Buddha--and I see how much they accomplished through dedication. I just can't get it together and don't even know where to start. Psychology? Spirituality? Legal reform? I have no fucking idea.

I struggle with fears and authenticity. I've come a long, long way, but I still have a lot to go in the way of self-forgiveness and faith. (Faith that things will be okay.)

I need some advice. I won't just strike down your suggestions, but I will listen critically. I am thinking of taking a trip somewhere far away and being alone for a while. Also, no pity, please. It makes me uncomfortable. Thanks in advance. Even if you don't have advice, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Also, please no MBTI talk. Sorry, thanks.

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
This is going to sound awful to say, and I really don't want it to come out that way, but...

It may seem harder than it is, but you really just have to make the first step to fixing your life. Once you do that, it's a snow ball effect. You still have to work at it, but the hardest part is done.

I can't say that I've ever been in your position before, but I do understand the sentiment of wanting to helped loved ones. But you have to look out for number one and if helping people (even if you believe in unconditional love), you have to take care of yourself first.

You say that you get opportunities and that you neglect them -- have you asked yourself why you do this? What is the underlying issue or reason behind this seemingly self-sabotage? It may seem like a silly, unanswerable question -- but answer that and you can begin to work on solving your issues.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know exactly what you're feeling. No, I'm not jobless myself, and haven't been ever. But I have struggled a lot, especially the first few years, in order to get myself to work. And even now, I sometimes catch myself at making mistakes solely because my mind wanders and I lack dedication in my work. I've been pretty good at solving the problems that arise and find enough dedication to do my job and a little extra now. But that hasn't always been like that.

It was really hard for me to go from "I want to do what I want to do now and nothing else. Just being myself." to "If I do this I can do the things I want to do and be myself later.".

And even now I sometimes fail at it. Luckily, my job is very diverse and nothing is routine. I think that helps greatly. Whenever I get stuck in a pattern for a few days I grow exceedingly bored of it and will fall back into my old patterns. Frustration about colleagues not doing their jobs properly, ironically leading to me not doing my job properly, doesn't always help either.

I've learned to distance myself when it happens so it doesn't become a problem now.

Taking some time off. A week or two. Just to be alone does help me. I have gone on little 'vacations' a few times and my job also put me in other countries alone from time to time, and although it can be annoying from time to time, as I tend to get itchy to do things since my body is used to work. The peace it brings my mind is great, and unrestrained days solely for myself are the best.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Thank you for replying, my comment below.

This is going to sound awful to say, and I really don't want it to come out that way, but...

No this is good. The harsher the better.

It may seem harder than it is, but you really just have to make the first step to fixing your life. Once you do that, it's a snow ball effect. You still have to work at it, but the hardest part is done.

I kind of know this, and it's true. But I want to be sure that my snowball rolls in the right direction and really, I'm not sure what direction that is. Be big? Be humble? Be dedicated? Be alone? Have a family?

I can't say that I've ever been in your position before, but I do understand the sentiment of wanting to helped loved ones. But you have to look out for number one and if helping people (even if you believe in unconditional love), you have to take care of yourself first.

I don't think I'm sacrificing myself, but it's an interesting point, because I think sacrifice motivates people well. It motivates me and I'm at a loss of motivation and purpose. I agree with what you said, though, completely, and I want to "clean myself up" before I start cleaning other people, just so I know I'm doing it right.

You say that you get opportunities and that you neglect them -- have you asked yourself why you do this? What is the underlying issue or reason behind this seemingly self-sabotage? It may seem like a silly, unanswerable question -- but answer that and you can begin to work on solving your issues.

I think about it often. I hesitate to step forward. I don't fully know why. The concept of progress has become linked with fear or depression. Not a huge depression because I am not depressed, just a sharp micro-depression. It turns me off. I get lazy, tired, and do something more interesting. It might be lack of discipline. It might also be a fear of failing and humiliating myself.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I know exactly what you're feeling. No, I'm not jobless myself, and haven't been ever. But I have struggled a lot, especially the first few years, in order to get myself to work. And even now, I sometimes catch myself at making mistakes solely because my mind wanders and I lack dedication in my work. I've been pretty good at solving the problems that arise and find enough dedication to do my job and a little extra now. But that hasn't always been like that.

It was really hard for me to go from "I want to do what I want to do now and nothing else. Just being myself." to "If I do this I can do the things I want to do and be myself later.".

And even now I sometimes fail at it. Luckily, my job is very diverse and nothing is routine. I think that helps greatly. Whenever I get stuck in a pattern for a few days I grow exceedingly bored of it and will fall back into my old patterns. Frustration about colleagues not doing their jobs properly, ironically leading to me not doing my job properly, doesn't always help either.

I've learned to distance myself when it happens so it doesn't become a problem now.

Taking some time off. A week or two. Just to be alone does help me. I have gone on little 'vacations' a few times and my job also put me in other countries alone from time to time, and although it can be annoying from time to time, as I tend to get itchy to do things since my body is used to work. The peace it brings my mind is great, and unrestrained days solely for myself are the best.

That is good advice about delayed gratification. I think I'll take a camping trip this weekend by myself. Thank you.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What would you tell yourself if you were one of your brothers? Do you know why you don't want to take your own advice, or is it difficult to see yourself objectively like that?

It's not that, we're just stubborn. We know what should be done, but we just don't like to be the norm, us ntp's. :D

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Sorry folks - woulda sworn that was in the main NT forum a minute ago. *skulks away embarrassedly*

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Do the next thing. You don't have to solve it all at once, but you can't remain immobile. What's one small, doable thing you've been putting off until you get everything figured out? Get it done.

What would you tell yourself if you were one of your brothers? Do you know why you don't want to take your own advice, or is it difficult to see yourself objectively like that?

I can't see myself from the outside, I can only think of it from the inside. From the inside, I would tell myself to 1) stop pissing my time away on the internet 2) keep meditating and opening my heart 3) let the answers come to me and not press so hard for solutions 4) trust in silence.

It's not a very practical guide. It's all psychological.

Character is made up of little choices every day which when repeated over and over become habits, which become what you are known for. Do you like what you are known for so far? What do you wish to be known for? What small choices would contribute towards that?

If I died today, I think I would be happy with the way people remembered me. But if I was 50 and had the same psychological diffusion, it would be embarrassing. If I was 50, I would want to have contributed to something--a new understanding of the mind, life, and relationship. A small choice would probably be grad school, which I'm supposed to reply to by this Friday to indicate if I want to attend or not. But I'm having doubts about that too, mainly about the cost. I can go to a cheaper school and get the same degree.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It's not that, we're just stubborn. We know what should be done, but we just don't like to be the norm, us ntp's. :D

Heh. Maybe true. For me though, I really see the norm as empty and miserable. I don't think many people are connected to their work, their partners, or themselves, and I think that's depressing.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I like the above ideas of removing the comfortable distractions. Go camping, unplug, maybe put the most distracting possessions you own in storage. Simplify your surroundings as a way to try to simplify your mind and life and realize what is really important.

Do you think its that getting better at understanding and helping people has been your practice for so long that you don't have any other "accomplishments" to show for your time? I'm sorry to state it like that. If so, do you think you need to set the chain reaction in motion by accomplishing some smaller things and building your confidence? I have been through that.

You want dedication for yourself. How about trying to introduce it from within and without? Do you think it would help to just have "set goals and achieve" be your mantra for a while? Is there anyway to bring some external pressure on yourself that you would respond to? You could create deadlines for yourself, and even involve the people that care about you in "enforcing" them to create some impetus and thus some momentum. If you are stuck in a groove, perhaps permitting yourself less opportunity to ruminate would help. Take on more, be under more obligations. Obviously all this might offend your desire for authenticity. But it could be temporary until you get yourself free of inertia and in balance.

Just some thoughts, they may be completely wrong for your situation.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I like the above ideas of removing the comfortable distractions. Go camping, unplug, maybe put the most distracting possessions you own in storage. Simplify your surroundings as a way to try to simplify your mind and life and realize what is really important.

That would be my laptop. :cry:

Do you think its that getting better at understanding and helping people has been your practice for so long that you don't have any other "accomplishments" to show for your time? I'm sorry to state it like that. If so, do you think you need to set the chain reaction in motion by accomplishing some smaller things and building your confidence? I have been through that.

I don't know. I've got a law degree, but I don't really use it. I don't really see that as an accomplishment though because it doesn't do anything, it's just paper. Helping people, on the other hand, really means something to me and it has an effect on the world. The chain reaction idea is good, but I hesitate about where to start because I don't have the final goal. This is kind of what I'm missing--vision for my own life. And I know the reason...it's because I don't think can get it. *vulnerable moment* I have always felt like my life and accomplishments, even my identity is slipping through my hands. As I grab, is just slips right out. It's been a theme in my life. I try to challenge it, but it's lodged in there deeply.

You want dedication for yourself. How about trying to introduce it from within and without? Do you think it would help to just have "set goals and achieve" be your mantra for a while? Is there anyway to bring some external pressure on yourself that you would respond to? You could create deadlines for yourself, and even involve the people that care about you in "enforcing" them to create some impetus and thus some momentum. If you are stuck in a groove, perhaps permitting yourself less opportunity to ruminate would help. Take on more, be under more obligations. Obviously all this might offend your desire for authenticity. But it could be temporary until you get yourself free of inertia and in balance.

Yes, and you're right, I'm just not sure I'm ready to risk that yet. I'm obsessed with authenticity and I'm putting all my chips on the it.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Some suggestions and questions... :hug:

I haven't really worked in over a year. I don't know what I want, both immediately and long term. I like the idea of having a family but I'm also obsessed with spirituality and meditative-like disciplines.

What does spirituality and meditative-like disciplines got to do with starting a family? Couldn't you find a chick who has similar views as you?

Part of the problem is that I just don't manage to pull things together. I have opportunities, but I neglect them. I don't ever make decisions and step forward, I just circle around and around with everything up in the air. It's not that I can't, it's that I don't, but who knows, maybe I can't. I look at people I admire--Einstein, Feynman, Buddha--and I see how much they accomplished through dedication. I just can't get it together and don't even know where to start. Psychology? Spirituality? Legal reform? I have no fucking idea.

Do you not follow through with opportunities because you are unsure if you want to commit yourself to the particular opportunity? Or are you unconfident in yourself? I have always been interested in volunteering for Amnesty International, that might be something cool to get in to :). The chapter in Seattle is awesome, peep it out Amnesty International USA Group 4 of Seattle. Something like this might be right up your alley, theres gotta be an LA chapter, not sure though. Anyway, there is tons of volunteer work you could dabble in, helping at risk youth in trouble with the law, all kinds of stuff. I worked at Soledad Enrichment Action when I was in your neck of the woods, those kids need help :(. This might give you inspiration while your not working, just think you would change some ones life!

I am thinking of taking a trip somewhere far away and being alone for a while.

It could help :). About 10 years ago I was stuck in a rut, unhappy with my life and everything around me. Thats when I moved away from my hometown to Los Angeles. It was exciting! No one new me, I started from scratch, learned a lot, met new people, and had tons of fun.

Maybe all you need is change of scenery or some inspiration in your life! Your life wont be a mess forever, all you gotta do is get your bum up and make sh*t happen.

I know my life isn't at 100% right now, but Im trying and staying positive :). I actually created a quiz this morning...Janeen's Quality of Life Test. I scored 19 out of 50 (proof that Im not at 100%), but doing this test helped me to see what improvement is needed in my life to make it better and to move forward. Blah blah blah, I talk to much and Im probably rambling. I will shut up now :).

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
Heh. Maybe true. For me though, I really see the norm as empty and miserable. I don't think many people are connected to their work, their partners, or themselves, and I think that's depressing.

It's easy to fall into beliefs like this when you spend your time meditating in your bedroom. Everybody does what they do for a reason. If you get out in the world and try to understand these reasons through actual experience you will likely fond ways to enrich your life.

I'm an intp, I understand the feeling that the world doesn't make sense and that there's no normal life for me. The unavoidable truth is that this is the world you're stuck with and inevitably you need to establish a sustainable lifestyle in it.

If you go on this trip, get out of your comfort zone, get to know those people you think are disconnected. Approach with an open mind, I get the impression you have some naivete to lose. To be blunt, if I had an unemployed, bedroom philosopher try to tell me I was living incorrectly, I wouldn't respond kindly.

Your goal should be to get some clarity on what a sustainable, self-sufficient lifestyle looks like for you. Even more importantly, you need a realistic gameplan on getting there. This may mean taking time for education or skill development. or

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I want advice. Good advice.

My life is a fucking mess. I haven't really worked in over a year. I don't know what I want, both immediately and long term. I like the idea of having a family but I'm also obsessed with spirituality and meditative-like disciplines.

I have family problems. My mom thinks I'm nuts for trying to help her become happier. She thinks I'm all wrong but I know I'm not. I think it's a long process that isn't easy at first as you give up your addictions and confront fears. I try to help her and have helped both my brothers, but I don't know if my way is the best way. I think it's good. Related to this, I don't trust anyone's opinion unless they can prove to me that they're better at understanding people than I am, or, better at understanding motivations and outcomes. You can call it wisdom. It sounds incredibly arrogant, I know, but I think I'm good at it, having practiced and contemplated this stuff for years. I think I've become really good at helping others and have references to prove it. But that knowledge doesn't translate into action for me.

I struggle with fears and authenticity. I've come a long, long way, but I still have a lot to go in the way of self-forgiveness and faith. (Faith that things will be okay.)

I need some advice. I won't just strike down your suggestions, but I will listen critically. I am thinking of taking a trip somewhere far away and being alone for a while. Also, no pity, please. It makes me uncomfortable. Thanks in advance. Even if you don't have advice, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Also, please no MBTI talk. Sorry, thanks.
You're not getting very good advice. It sucks that you're so good at giving it and you don't get it back. But, in a sense, it's impossible to advise you. How can anyone else tell you what will make you happy?

Why do you care about accomplishments? You don't really, so just let that go. Also stop exaggerating. Your life is just unstructured, not a fucking mess. And it's unstructured because you want it that way. It will remain that way until you need structure enough to do something about it. I'm the same. I haven't worked for 6 mths because I haven't needed to and I hate my work. Now I have something I (kinda sorta) want and so I've decided to get off my ass and go back to work.

You're good at everything you do, you just struggle to find enough to engage / challenge you and you're brave enough not to just settle like most people do. Sometimes it sucks being awesome.:)
I think you should go back to school. You don't have to decide on the rest of your life right now, but you've been planning this for ages and you might regret it if you don't.
Stop worrying about your mom and your family. They don't need you to fix them. Stop trying to fix everyone else, it won't stop your life from slipping through your fingers - you know that now. I think you just feel a bit lost because you give so much that you end up emptying yourself and losing sight of your own needs. Take that trip. Change your scenery. Start saying "yes" to stuff. Don't worry if you don't love all of it or you fuck some of it up. The world will keep turning. Nothing any of us do is that important. It's liberating to remember that sometimes.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your life is just unstructured, not a fucking mess. And it's unstructured because you want it that way. It will remain that way until you need structure enough to do something about it...

Change your scenery. Start saying "yes" to stuff. Don't worry if you don't love all of it or you fuck some of it up. The world will keep turning. Nothing any of us do is that important. It's liberating to remember that sometimes.

This is good advice. I don't think anyone can give you good advice on what to do with your life, the big picture, you'll have to find that for yourself.

If you want structure: be a public defender for a while. Not forever, just until you have an idea or plan of what you want to do overall.

1) you'll be using your law degree
2) you'll be helping people

Probably not the best people in the world, but there will be a few that really need it.

I just think you need to get out of your head and do something. You sound like you're eating yourself alive.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
I was going to change your username to "XNFP," but I see that you've already changed your name once.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I was going to change your username to "XNFP," but I see that you've already changed your name once.

Technically, it was a name change from my real name, so it's not supposed to count. Haight...doesn't even know the :rules:!

Last edited: