User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    I like the above ideas of removing the comfortable distractions. Go camping, unplug, maybe put the most distracting possessions you own in storage. Simplify your surroundings as a way to try to simplify your mind and life and realize what is really important.
    That would be my laptop.

Do you think its that getting better at understanding and helping people has been your practice for so long that you don't have any other "accomplishments" to show for your time? I'm sorry to state it like that. If so, do you think you need to set the chain reaction in motion by accomplishing some smaller things and building your confidence? I have been through that.
    I don't know. I've got a law degree, but I don't really use it. I don't really see that as an accomplishment though because it doesn't do anything, it's just paper. Helping people, on the other hand, really means something to me and it has an effect on the world. The chain reaction idea is good, but I hesitate about where to start because I don't have the final goal. This is kind of what I'm missing--vision for my own life. And I know the reason...it's because I don't think can get it. *vulnerable moment* I have always felt like my life and accomplishments, even my identity is slipping through my hands. As I grab, is just slips right out. It's been a theme in my life. I try to challenge it, but it's lodged in there deeply.

You want dedication for yourself. How about trying to introduce it from within and without? Do you think it would help to just have "set goals and achieve" be your mantra for a while? Is there anyway to bring some external pressure on yourself that you would respond to? You could create deadlines for yourself, and even involve the people that care about you in "enforcing" them to create some impetus and thus some momentum. If you are stuck in a groove, perhaps permitting yourself less opportunity to ruminate would help. Take on more, be under more obligations. Obviously all this might offend your desire for authenticity. But it could be temporary until you get yourself free of inertia and in balance.
    Yes, and you're right, I'm just not sure I'm ready to risk that yet. I'm obsessed with authenticity and I'm putting all my chips on the it.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by xNTP View Post
    That would be my laptop.
    Funny, my laptop is the only thing in my life that isn't distracting.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Funny, my laptop is the only thing in my life that isn't distracting.
    LOL, we should switch laptops.

Some suggestions and questions...

I haven't really worked in over a year. I don't know what I want, both immediately and long term. I like the idea of having a family but I'm also obsessed with spirituality and meditative-like disciplines.
    What does spirituality and meditative-like disciplines got to do with starting a family? Couldn't you find a chick who has similar views as you?

Part of the problem is that I just don't manage to pull things together. I have opportunities, but I neglect them. I don't ever make decisions and step forward, I just circle around and around with everything up in the air. It's not that I can't, it's that I don't, but who knows, maybe I can't. I look at people I admire--Einstein, Feynman, Buddha--and I see how much they accomplished through dedication. I just can't get it together and don't even know where to start. Psychology? Spirituality? Legal reform? I have no fucking idea.
    Do you not follow through with opportunities because you are unsure if you want to commit yourself to the particular opportunity? Or are you unconfident in yourself? I have always been interested in volunteering for Amnesty International, that might be something cool to get in to . The chapter in Seattle is awesome, peep it out Amnesty International USA Group 4 of Seattle. Something like this might be right up your alley, theres gotta be an LA chapter, not sure though. Anyway, there is tons of volunteer work you could dabble in, helping at risk youth in trouble with the law, all kinds of stuff. I worked at Soledad Enrichment Action when I was in your neck of the woods, those kids need help . This might give you inspiration while your not working, just think you would change some ones life!

I am thinking of taking a trip somewhere far away and being alone for a while.
    It could help . About 10 years ago I was stuck in a rut, unhappy with my life and everything around me. Thats when I moved away from my hometown to Los Angeles. It was exciting! No one new me, I started from scratch, learned a lot, met new people, and had tons of fun.

Maybe all you need is change of scenery or some inspiration in your life! Your life wont be a mess forever, all you gotta do is get your bum up and make sh*t happen.

I know my life isn't at 100% right now, but Im trying and staying positive . I actually created a quiz this morning...Janeen's Quality of Life Test. I scored 19 out of 50 (proof that Im not at 100%), but doing this test helped me to see what improvement is needed in my life to make it better and to move forward. Blah blah blah, I talk to much and Im probably rambling. I will shut up now .
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

MBTI
    intP

Heh. Maybe true. For me though, I really see the norm as empty and miserable. I don't think many people are connected to their work, their partners, or themselves, and I think that's depressing.
    It's easy to fall into beliefs like this when you spend your time meditating in your bedroom. Everybody does what they do for a reason. If you get out in the world and try to understand these reasons through actual experience you will likely fond ways to enrich your life.

I'm an intp, I understand the feeling that the world doesn't make sense and that there's no normal life for me. The unavoidable truth is that this is the world you're stuck with and inevitably you need to establish a sustainable lifestyle in it.

If you go on this trip, get out of your comfort zone, get to know those people you think are disconnected. Approach with an open mind, I get the impression you have some naivete to lose. To be blunt, if I had an unemployed, bedroom philosopher try to tell me I was living incorrectly, I wouldn't respond kindly.

Your goal should be to get some clarity on what a sustainable, self-sufficient lifestyle looks like for you. Even more importantly, you need a realistic gameplan on getting there. This may mean taking time for education or skill development. or

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I want advice. Good advice.

My life is a fucking mess. I haven't really worked in over a year. I don't know what I want, both immediately and long term. I like the idea of having a family but I'm also obsessed with spirituality and meditative-like disciplines.

I have family problems. My mom thinks I'm nuts for trying to help her become happier. She thinks I'm all wrong but I know I'm not. I think it's a long process that isn't easy at first as you give up your addictions and confront fears. I try to help her and have helped both my brothers, but I don't know if my way is the best way. I think it's good. Related to this, I don't trust anyone's opinion unless they can prove to me that they're better at understanding people than I am, or, better at understanding motivations and outcomes. You can call it wisdom. It sounds incredibly arrogant, I know, but I think I'm good at it, having practiced and contemplated this stuff for years. I think I've become really good at helping others and have references to prove it. But that knowledge doesn't translate into action for me.

Part of the problem is that I just don't manage to pull things together. I have opportunities, but I neglect them. I don't ever make decisions and step forward, I just circle around and around with everything up in the air. It's not that I can't, it's that I don't, but who knows, maybe I can't. I look at people I admire--Einstein, Feynman, Buddha--and I see how much they accomplished through dedication. I just can't get it together and don't even know where to start. Psychology? Spirituality? Legal reform? I have no fucking idea.

I struggle with fears and authenticity. I've come a long, long way, but I still have a lot to go in the way of self-forgiveness and faith. (Faith that things will be okay.)

I need some advice. I won't just strike down your suggestions, but I will listen critically. I am thinking of taking a trip somewhere far away and being alone for a while. Also, no pity, please. It makes me uncomfortable. Thanks in advance. Even if you don't have advice, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Also, please no MBTI talk. Sorry, thanks.
    You're not getting very good advice. It sucks that you're so good at giving it and you don't get it back. But, in a sense, it's impossible to advise you. How can anyone else tell you what will make you happy?

Why do you care about accomplishments? You don't really, so just let that go. Also stop exaggerating. Your life is just unstructured, not a fucking mess. And it's unstructured because you want it that way. It will remain that way until you need structure enough to do something about it. I'm the same. I haven't worked for 6 mths because I haven't needed to and I hate my work. Now I have something I (kinda sorta) want and so I've decided to get off my ass and go back to work.

You're good at everything you do, you just struggle to find enough to engage / challenge you and you're brave enough not to just settle like most people do. Sometimes it sucks being awesome.
    I think you should go back to school. You don't have to decide on the rest of your life right now, but you've been planning this for ages and you might regret it if you don't.
    Stop worrying about your mom and your family. They don't need you to fix them. Stop trying to fix everyone else, it won't stop your life from slipping through your fingers - you know that now. I think you just feel a bit lost because you give so much that you end up emptying yourself and losing sight of your own needs. Take that trip. Change your scenery. Start saying "yes" to stuff. Don't worry if you don't love all of it or you fuck some of it up. The world will keep turning. Nothing any of us do is that important. It's liberating to remember that sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTj

No this is good. The harsher the better.
    Finish school, and get a job, loser.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Your life is just unstructured, not a fucking mess. And it's unstructured because you want it that way. It will remain that way until you need structure enough to do something about it...

Change your scenery. Start saying "yes" to stuff. Don't worry if you don't love all of it or you fuck some of it up. The world will keep turning. Nothing any of us do is that important. It's liberating to remember that sometimes.
    This is good advice. I don't think anyone can give you good advice on what to do with your life, the big picture, you'll have to find that for yourself.

If you want structure: be a public defender for a while. Not forever, just until you have an idea or plan of what you want to do overall.

1) you'll be using your law degree
    2) you'll be helping people

Probably not the best people in the world, but there will be a few that really need it.

I just think you need to get out of your head and do something. You sound like you're eating yourself alive.

MBTI
    INTj

I was going to change your username to "XNFP," but I see that you've already changed your name once.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    I was going to change your username to "XNFP," but I see that you've already changed your name once.
    Technically, it was a name change from my real name, so it's not supposed to count. Haight...doesn't even know the !
    Last edited by ThatsWhatHeSaid; 08-04-2010 at 06:47 PM. Reason: damn smileys keep changing their names...grumble grumble