User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Depression

Default Depression

Hi. Depressed INTP female here.

I'd like to know if any NT's suffered from depression, anxiety, and/or dysthymia and how they recovered from it.

For future references, I am not saying depression has anything to do with type, or is associated with a type. I'm just curious as to how a relateable individual coped with it.

AKA, it would help greatly.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Renoir View Post
    AKA, it would help greatly.
    You sound too optimistic for an INTP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Yawn.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Figure out what specifically is bothering you, then figure out an action plan on how to fix things.

For example: I was feeling sort of down because I didn't feel like my life was going anywhere. So I've been working toward finding a better job and saving money so that I can go back to school.

It's sort of hard to help without much information, tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyoni View Post
    Figure out what specifically is bothering you, then figure out an action plan on how to fix things.

For example: I was feeling sort of down because I didn't feel like my life was going anywhere. So I've been working toward finding a better job and saving money so that I can go back to school.

It's sort of hard to help without much information, tbh.
    What sort of information would you like? I'm seeking NT's that have gone through depression. My life story is unnecessary. However, I can be anti-social, not assertive in terms of my goals, and generally avoidant of things. One large area of concern is balance for me.

I used to be passionate about things, such as, philosophy. But nothing seems to satisfy me anymore.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Well, I wasn't really asking for a 'life story,' of course, but rather what it is you think is specifically bothering you. Or are you just feeling depressed without a specific cause? In that case, I'm guessing it would be the sum of a lot of small things.

I'm definitely not very good at empathizing with other people's emotions and problems, so I'm worried I might not be very helpful. I was just trying to give you some insight to how another INTP female deals with feeling depressed.

I can also relate to losing interest in topics that once interested you - I tend to become very involved with things that interest me (almost to the point of obsession), but after I've mastered that particular thing, I get bored and tend to abandon it. Maybe finding something new and intellectually stimulating would help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyoni View Post
    Well, I wasn't really asking for a 'life story,' of course, but rather what it is you think is specifically bothering you. Or are you just feeling depressed without a specific cause? In that case, I'm guessing it would be the sum of a lot of small things.

I'm definitely not very good at empathizing with other people's emotions and problems, so I'm worried I might not be very helpful. I was just trying to give you some insight to how another INTP female deals with feeling depressed.

I can also relate to losing interest in topics that once interested you - I tend to become very involved with things that interest me (almost to the point of obsession), but after I've mastered that particular thing, I get bored and tend to abandon it. Maybe finding something new and intellectually stimulating would help you.
    Have you been clinically depressed? As depression and sadness are not the same thing.

I am also the same. I become obsessed with certain things. Once I believe I've come to understand the subject, I move on. I have a hard time specializing in one thing, which I want to change.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Fuck, I don't know. I've had very bad things happen and felt very sad. I've never had to take anti-depressants, though.

Anyway, I'm annoyed now, so I think someone else will have to help you.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Renoir View Post
    I am also the same. I become obsessed with certain things. Once I believe I've come to understand the subject, I move on. I have a hard time specializing in one thing, which I want to change.
    You just have to stumble upon the right subject, sometimes. Or just pick one and stick with it like glue. I chose to become an expert in Geology, for better or worse. Maybe what would help is approaching a subject area of interest with the goal of learning more than anybody else ever has, or learning all you can possibly learn about that subject, which would hopefully take long enough to make a career out of it.

MBTI
    intP

I've been depressed. It's a painful, difficult thing to go through. You're doing well to recognize your state of mind and seek ways out.

Depression is often associated with stress-causing ruminations. I would get caught in loops of thought about problems with stress and anxiety feeding on itself. Part of my process for climbing out of that hole was learning to break those loops. Do you experience these ruminations? Sharing your specific concerns may help you.

While depressed, I tended to use escapism as my way of coping which was quite counterproductive. I spent a lot of time sitting around, stoned on weed. I believe that the lack of activity and stimulation from the stoner lifestyle prolonged and exacerbated my depression.

Medication can help break those rumination loops, you may be surprised.

What ultimately helped me was steady exercise, a realistic plan for my future that I am optimistic about, giving up drugs, and figuring out how to keep busy and occupied. Learning to meditate has helped me calm my thoughts and control my stress level and it didn't take much.

I hope this helps you. Getting out from underneath depression is hard and takes time but, believe me, it is possible to enjoy being yourself and enjoy this world.