• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Depression

Renoir

Hi. Depressed INTP female here.

I'd like to know if any NT's suffered from depression, anxiety, and/or dysthymia and how they recovered from it.

For future references, I am not saying depression has anything to do with type, or is associated with a type. I'm just curious as to how a relateable individual coped with it.

AKA, it would help greatly.

Dyoni

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Figure out what specifically is bothering you, then figure out an action plan on how to fix things.

For example: I was feeling sort of down because I didn't feel like my life was going anywhere. So I've been working toward finding a better job and saving money so that I can go back to school.

It's sort of hard to help without much information, tbh.

Renoir

Figure out what specifically is bothering you, then figure out an action plan on how to fix things.

For example: I was feeling sort of down because I didn't feel like my life was going anywhere. So I've been working toward finding a better job and saving money so that I can go back to school.

It's sort of hard to help without much information, tbh.

What sort of information would you like? I'm seeking NT's that have gone through depression. My life story is unnecessary. However, I can be anti-social, not assertive in terms of my goals, and generally avoidant of things. One large area of concern is balance for me.

I used to be passionate about things, such as, philosophy. But nothing seems to satisfy me anymore.

Dyoni

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Well, I wasn't really asking for a 'life story,' of course, but rather what it is you think is specifically bothering you. Or are you just feeling depressed without a specific cause? In that case, I'm guessing it would be the sum of a lot of small things.

I'm definitely not very good at empathizing with other people's emotions and problems, so I'm worried I might not be very helpful. I was just trying to give you some insight to how another INTP female deals with feeling depressed.

I can also relate to losing interest in topics that once interested you - I tend to become very involved with things that interest me (almost to the point of obsession), but after I've mastered that particular thing, I get bored and tend to abandon it. Maybe finding something new and intellectually stimulating would help you.

Renoir

Well, I wasn't really asking for a 'life story,' of course, but rather what it is you think is specifically bothering you. Or are you just feeling depressed without a specific cause? In that case, I'm guessing it would be the sum of a lot of small things.

I'm definitely not very good at empathizing with other people's emotions and problems, so I'm worried I might not be very helpful. I was just trying to give you some insight to how another INTP female deals with feeling depressed.

I can also relate to losing interest in topics that once interested you - I tend to become very involved with things that interest me (almost to the point of obsession), but after I've mastered that particular thing, I get bored and tend to abandon it. Maybe finding something new and intellectually stimulating would help you.

Have you been clinically depressed? As depression and sadness are not the same thing.

I am also the same. I become obsessed with certain things. Once I believe I've come to understand the subject, I move on. I have a hard time specializing in one thing, which I want to change.

Dyoni

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Fuck, I don't know. I've had very bad things happen and felt very sad. I've never had to take anti-depressants, though.

Anyway, I'm annoyed now, so I think someone else will have to help you.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I am also the same. I become obsessed with certain things. Once I believe I've come to understand the subject, I move on. I have a hard time specializing in one thing, which I want to change.

You just have to stumble upon the right subject, sometimes. Or just pick one and stick with it like glue. I chose to become an expert in Geology, for better or worse. Maybe what would help is approaching a subject area of interest with the goal of learning more than anybody else ever has, or learning all you can possibly learn about that subject, which would hopefully take long enough to make a career out of it.

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
I've been depressed. It's a painful, difficult thing to go through. You're doing well to recognize your state of mind and seek ways out.

Depression is often associated with stress-causing ruminations. I would get caught in loops of thought about problems with stress and anxiety feeding on itself. Part of my process for climbing out of that hole was learning to break those loops. Do you experience these ruminations? Sharing your specific concerns may help you.

While depressed, I tended to use escapism as my way of coping which was quite counterproductive. I spent a lot of time sitting around, stoned on weed. I believe that the lack of activity and stimulation from the stoner lifestyle prolonged and exacerbated my depression.

Medication can help break those rumination loops, you may be surprised.

What ultimately helped me was steady exercise, a realistic plan for my future that I am optimistic about, giving up drugs, and figuring out how to keep busy and occupied. Learning to meditate has helped me calm my thoughts and control my stress level and it didn't take much.

I hope this helps you. Getting out from underneath depression is hard and takes time but, believe me, it is possible to enjoy being yourself and enjoy this world.

Renoir

I've been depressed. It's a painful, difficult thing to go through. You're doing well to recognize your state of mind and seek ways out.

Depression is often associated with stress-causing ruminations. I would get caught in loops of thought about problems with stress and anxiety feeding on itself. Part of my process for climbing out of that hole was learning to break those loops. Do you experience these ruminations? Sharing your specific concerns may help you.

While depressed, I tended to use escapism as my way of coping which was quite counterproductive. I spent a lot of time sitting around, stoned on weed. I believe that the lack of activity and stimulation from the stoner lifestyle prolonged and exacerbated my depression.

Medication can help break those rumination loops, you may be surprised.

What ultimately helped me was steady exercise, a realistic plan for my future that I am optimistic about, giving up drugs, and figuring out how to keep busy and occupied. Learning to meditate has helped me calm my thoughts and control my stress level and it didn't take much.

I hope this helps you. Getting out from underneath depression is hard and takes time but, believe me, it is possible to enjoy being yourself and enjoy this world.

Thank you. I fully understand what you mean. Everything you speak of is exactly the symptoms of what I'm going through. I used gaming as a form of escapism, but that turned old. I also get high a lot. I've heard marijuana can increase your anxiety level, not by the substance itself. But by avoiding anxiety, you increase it.

I've considered medication.

I take ballet as a form of art, exercise and therapy, but I seem to lack any motivation for anything. In terms of planning, I'm just trying to transfer and get into a university. I'm generally too hard on myself and can be a bit of a perfectionist. Did you deal with this as well? I really need to let myself go.

Renoir

You just have to stumble upon the right subject, sometimes. Or just pick one and stick with it like glue. I chose to become an expert in Geology, for better or worse. Maybe what would help is approaching a subject area of interest with the goal of learning more than anybody else ever has, or learning all you can possibly learn about that subject, which would hopefully take long enough to make a career out of it.

You make sense. "For better or worse" is pretty much what I've concluded, as well. I can't seem to pick anything that I'm truly passionate about, so I'm just settling for Archaeology (don't get me wrong, it's one of my interests). I'm going to try and adopt your mentality on how you approach your goals. For too long I've been fixated on what subject I should enter in, not what subject I can truly master.

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
Yeah, perfectionism. Nothing is perfect, so why bother with anything.

Look up the idea of hypervigilance.

The idea is that part of depression is that stress causes you to go into a constant fight or flight mode, constantly evaluating everything physical or mental as a potential threat or fatal flaw. I would become wary that my thoughts themselves as signs of bigger problems. I thought I was going crazy.

letting yourself go os the right idea. The goal should be tp experoence tjonhs onstead of reactong to them in fear. Reducing stress in order to get out of hypetvigolant mpde can help.

Its not easy to change your thoughts and behavior in the nest of tomes and depression makes it so much harder, but it is sp worthwhile to keep trying.

For me, meditative breathing is the most effective, immediate means of controlling my stress.

Edit: oye! Typing on a smartphone... sorry about spelling.

Renoir

Yeah, perfectionism. Nothing is perfect, so why bother with anything.

Look up the idea of hypervigilance.

The idea is that part of depression is that stress causes you to go into a constant fight or flight mode, constantly evaluating everything physical or mental as a potential threat or fatal flaw. I would become wary that my thoughts themselves as signs of bigger problems. I thought I was going crazy.

letting yourself go os the right idea. The goal should be tp experoence tjonhs onstead of reactong to them in fear. Reducing stress in order to get out of hypetvigolant mpde can help.

Its not easy to change your thoughts and behavior in the nest of tomes and depression makes it so much harder, but it is sp worthwhile to keep trying.

For me, meditative breathing is the most effective, immediate means of controlling my stress.

Edit: oye! Typing on a smartphone... sorry about spelling.

Hahaha I was amused by the typos.

Looked it up. I can definitely relate to it.

I honestly have no idea how to meditate. I have a hard time sleeping at night if I'm not high. I've tried meditating, but failed utterly. How exactly do you get into a meditative state?

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
For me meditating is sitting still, paying attention to making slow, deep belly breathes. Thoughts will come and go and your goal is to simply observe them as temporary, ethereal things and not react to 5hem further. Learning to observe and let pass your thoughts is one way to avoid ruminating. I'll do it for a fewinutes at a time a few times a week, usually after working out.

Even when doing other things out and about, focusing on taking deep breaths will sooth me if I feel stress creeping up on me. It helped me survive three years teaching at a low-per$forming urban high school. I learned to "Zen out" while teaching instead of reacting constantly where o had minimal control.

Renoir

Yikes. Seems tough, but I'll give it go again. It's rather amazing that you can just "zen out" while teaching. The force is strong with you.

Thank you for your guidance and understanding, it has helped.

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
I hope my experiences help you.

I do credit getting through depression with helping me develop a reservoir of mental toughness. For what its worth, Lincoln and Churchill dealt with it too.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thank you. I fully understand what you mean. Everything you speak of is exactly the symptoms of what I'm going through. I used gaming as a form of escapism, but that turned old. I also get high a lot. I've heard marijuana can increase your anxiety level, not by the substance itself. But by avoiding anxiety, you increase it.

I've considered medication.

I take ballet as a form of art, exercise and therapy, but I seem to lack any motivation for anything. In terms of planning, I'm just trying to transfer and get into a university. I'm generally too hard on myself and can be a bit of a perfectionist. Did you deal with this as well? I really need to let myself go.

You sound a lot like me, except the ballet part, everything seems the same.
I've been really depressed lately as well, and it's probably because for the same reasons as you.

Anyway, medication is a last resort. Don't go to it just yet.
I find that talking to people about it and constructively dealing with it helps me a lot when I get depressed, like thinking of all the good possibilities that might come out of a future event that may seem like it's bringing you down, and how do deal with other stuff like that.

I hope you find yourself out of this rut soon.:hug:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Hi. Depressed INTP female here.

I'd like to know if any NT's suffered from depression, anxiety, and/or dysthymia and how they recovered from it.

For future references, I am not saying depression has anything to do with type, or is associated with a type. I'm just curious as to how a relateable individual coped with it.

AKA, it would help greatly.

I've suffered from all three, and continue to suffer from depression, though it comes and goes. I believe my depression stems from perfectionism, from expecting too much of myself, and from sometimes feeling like the rest of the world has an instruction manual and I'm trying to learn things by observation.

Medication helped briefly when I was severely depressed, to take the edge off of the crushing feeling of despair and futility. Once I got past that point, medication became a hinderance, because it only served to make me feel like everything was okay, without actually addressing the cause of the depression itself. Counseling helped a bit, but I ultimately got frustrated with my counselor--I felt like I was more than he was equipped to handle. I would love a therapist who is trained in MBTI. I did find some useful ideas in a couple of self-help books on depression and perfectionism, some thoughts to help me see that my patterns of thought were not healthy or normal and to help me redirect them.

It helps to not think of your self/life as you would any other interest--don't attack yourself and only see the negatives, in an attempt to make yourself "better" and more competent. Don't see yourself as a problem to solve, and don't look for the holes to patch up. Try to see the positives and give yourself credit for those.

Try to enjoy things in the moment, instead of thinking about what you could do better. Just learn to be. Maybe develop your Se and integrate yourself a bit with the world around you. It can be a good antidote to living in a Ti loop sometimes. Sometimes we end up attached to these faulty ideas, and we just ruminate on them and get caught up in a cycle with no new information to counteract it.

Hope some of this helps. I can look up the titles of some of the books if you would like.

Vie

Giggity
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I also have had several phases of depression for the past four years. At first, I was a bit embarrassed about feeling like an emotional wreck so I escaped by throwing myself into work and exercise. In the end, ignoring the issues as to why I was depressed to begin with only made it worse and I found myself very much alone (but with a job promotion and a thirty pounds lighter).

I'm not one for avoiding my issues, but for a long time I tried to. I was doing everything in my power not to feel and in the end, it blew up in my face. I ended up trying Celexa -- it helped for a bit. But in the end, I decided it was just to face the issues. I did and I've felt much better about them. Talking to a professionally really helped -- that and finding friends who I could really lean on who I knew weren't going to think I was weak for feeling the way I was.

Sometimes, the depression creeps back up on me. It's horrible pain both mentally and physically as I also become obsessive about things -- or worse, the polar opposite of which my passions no longer have any value. The only advice I can give you is to keep going and talk to someone. It really does help.

I hope things get better for you.