• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT's and systems

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Some of the profiles we read mention that NT's like to organize, create, or otherwise invent things (scenarios, worlds, businesses, etc.). I've always been drawn to these types of things myself. Mapping out an entire system or "mock business" on paper in great detail, and I've had *some* draw to certain video games in the past that allow you to create and/or manipulate a sort of system.

The other day I go to visit my ENTJ friend at his residence and he is totally consumed and wrapped up in this video game. It's a sports game, where he has created players from scratch with the names of his friends and family members. He was manipulating the "player ratings" in order to build a really strong team. He was already playing games in the 2013 season. There was a time where I played these types of games as well - and they were fun. I just kind of laughed to myself because I didn't expect him to be doing it. He always seems drawn to organizing and leading things that have to do with his line of work and so it was refreshing to see a fellow NT having fun and creating a simulated world - in a video game. I know that not only NT's play these types of video games, but I think the allure of this type of game (where you can create a world or a situation and try to defeat it) fits well with the general assumption that NT's are drawn to systems.

This had me thinking: How do the primary and aux functions of each of the 4 NT types play a role in their attraction to systems? I'm not even sure that I understand how my own Ti/Ne relates to this. I guess Ne wants to create the system (Ne is my "creative" side), while Ti wants to analyze it, understand it, refine it, perfect it, and ultimately defeat it (or win), whether it be a video game, a simulated world, a business challenge, etc.

So, if we use the simple example of creating a sports team or a business, Ne comes up with ideas of how to create something good. Ti analyzes, sees what is working well and what is not working well, tweaks, makes adjustments, gets closer to "perfection", then it lets Ne try again with the new information (but with a short leash, because Ti is the boss in my case and it knows that Ne can sometimes get out of control or lose focus).

How about Ne/Ti? Ni/Te? Te/Ni? What's the attraction to systems like for you?

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
I enjoy enjoy exploring the possibility space of systems far more than creating them. I amuse myself finding the boundaries and figuring out how to optimize whatever variables I find.

Concrete enough for you?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I enjoy enjoy exploring the possibility space of systems far more than creating them. I amuse myself finding the boundaries and figuring out how to optimize whatever variables I find.

Concrete enough for you?

I guess what I'm curious about is: how do you think your primary and aux functions play into this? Specifically, how/why do Ti and Ne find this kind of thing appealing?

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
I'm no expert on the functions but I'd characterize my process as Ti strategically guiding explorations to effectively construct that Fe mental model accurately. If feeling playful, I'll let the Ti go and go against the rules and principals my Fe came up with (using only throws in soul caliber or playing fallout with no charisma), which often results in getting better at whatever game it is.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm no expert on the functions but I'd characterize my process as Ti strategically guiding explorations to effectively construct that Fe mental model accurately. If feeling playful, I'll let the Ti go and go against the rules and principals my Fe came up with (using only throws in soul caliber or playing fallout with no charisma), which often results in getting better at whatever game it is.

Uhhh, you mean Ne (not Fe)?!