User Tag List

First 123 Last

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Dyoni View Post
    Mine would be Neal Stephenson, hands down.

Quicksilver but it was so dense in its history content that I read several lighter books as I read it, and it took me much longer than normal to read (and re-read as I researched info while reading). So much so that I have not yet read any others of his
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    Quicksilver but it was so dense in its history content that I read several lighter books as I read it, and it took me much longer than normal to read (and re-read as I researched info while reading). So much so that I have not yet read any others of his
    Oh god. Quicksilver is a hard read. The Baroque Cycle (3-part series, Quicksilver is the first) are written in a different style than his other books. Try Snow Crash or Cryptonomicon first, both wonderful books that are very engaging - you won't want to read anything else in-between

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Robert Heinlein
    'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' was wonderful, I need to read more of his books.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Oh god. Quicksilver is a hard read. The Baroque Cycle (3-part series, Quicksilver is the first) are written in a different style than his other books. Try Snow Crash or Cryptonomicon first, both wonderful books that are very engaging - you won't want to read anything else in-between
    I have Cryptonomicon on my must read list but am currently reading an Ecothriller, The Last Albatross, by Aussie author Ian Irvine, and two books on physics/consciousness and one on dyslexia, aptitude in the arts (a re-read). It, The Last Albatross, is written OK but its theme is so close to reality it is quite shocking! Was written in 2008 and set in 2010 - two more to follow so Cryptonomicon is a bit down my list at the moment.

I will add the other on your recommendation - I loved the depth of research in Quicksilver! I am a lazy historian and like to have my history peopled instead of just about one character. Well researched fiction is a great way to go
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Nabokov.

My favorite book is Catch-22, but Heller didn't really do much else. And Nabokov is pure joy in every sentence.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Ursula K. LeGuin
    Stephen R. Donaldson
    Neil Gaiman
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Terry Pratchett.
    Robert Jordan.
    Isaac Asimov.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

I agree. Crypto was hard to put down.

I'd have to say my favorite author though is Cormac McCarthy, with Neal Stephenson running a close second.

MBTI
    ENTP

Daniel Silva
    If you were to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?

NPcomplete

Terry Pratchett
    Neil Gaiman
    A. Conan Doyle
    Douglas Adams