• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] How do I get my INTP friend to stop destroying everything?

Coeur

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
My INTP friend has an amazing sense of humor.

Unfortunately, he uses it for evil more often than not.

It seems like he gets in these moods where he can't help but be completely difficult. He'll either mock everything in his path or rearrange everything physically (putting something in the wrong place on purpose, throwing a towel over the dog, and so forth). :doh:

Now, I don't want to change him. But it really DOES get on my nerves when he's like this, especially when it's for prolonged periods. It'd be easier if I knew there were a way to redirect him if he were really getting out of hand.

Help?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
sounds bit like entp using his Fe. you sure he is an intp?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd say more it's just a phase, and he'll one day grow up.

I remember doing crazy stuff like that or being pervasively critical during earlier parts of my life, and I know I was annoying to people because of the degree of it.

If it's a big enough issue, you need to just tell him to his face what you need from him, what's going to happen if it doesn't change, not take his response personally, and be willing to stick to your guns even if you guys stop spending time together.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I laughed at towel on the dog. I would never do something like that... :ninja:

He just sounds bored. When I'm understimulated, I can get "difficult" and question/mock/criticize everything just to give my mind something to do. Buy him some LEGO!

Lucky_Rabbit

MBTI Type
iNTp
Enneagram
IDK
I agree he might be bored, maybe he's bored with his life at the moment and any type of joy no matter how much it annoys close friends and strangers will take him away from the boredom

foodeater

MBTI Type
PINT
I do that a lo, especially rearranging things, but usually only around people who I know will accept it or understand the humor in it. How is that destructive behavior? Have you asked him to stop? Assuming you have, why do you still hang out with him if it's so annoying?

Cerridwen

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
He's in the "in-between-obsession" mode. He needs something new to fiddle with and is basically wandering around trying to find it.

Therefore.... I second the LEGO idea! Those things keep me entertained for hours! :yes:

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
hahahahaha, this guy sounds exactly like me when I'm in smartass mode, which is probably 65% of the time. I used to toss towels/shirts over my old dog too. She HATED that. She wouldn't even move or shake it off. Just stand still and whimper. :rofl1:

Nothing you can or should do...he sounds kinda fun. xD

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
Qnhsq.png

Try this but don't snap him out of it.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Qnhsq.png

Try this but don't snap him out of it.

:D
typical me, but usually im able to force myself to say something before people think that there is something seriously wrong with me

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Tell him you won't spank him unless he shapes up.

MoneyTick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
My INTP friend has an amazing sense of humor.

Unfortunately, he uses it for evil more often than not.

It seems like he gets in these moods where he can't help but be completely difficult. He'll either mock everything in his path or rearrange everything physically (putting something in the wrong place on purpose, throwing a towel over the dog, and so forth). :doh:

Now, I don't want to change him. But it really DOES get on my nerves when he's like this, especially when it's for prolonged periods. It'd be easier if I knew there were a way to redirect him if he were really getting out of hand.

Help?

"How do I get my INTP friend to stop destroying everything?"

constructive criticism, obviously

EDIT:
Or just destroy him

Candid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Try responding in the same manner and out-destroy him. See what happens. :D

But really, I agree with all of the previous posters. He definitely seems bored with/sick of his surroundings. I behave in a similar way when I feel like this. You should introduce him to a new activity or new people (just make sure they're the type that won't bore/irritate him further). Maybe he just needs to some fresh interaction with things.