• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] intp-intp first date

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
Here's a datum for the single intps.

So I set up an online date with an intp female.

I don't know about you other intp's, but intuitively another intp seems like the ideal match to me because I'm really looking for a sense of mutual understanding and mental connection in a partner.

Anyway, we met for dinner which always is a first date rife with awkwardness as people read the menu, take time to chew, etc. There weren't the sparks I had hoped for. We ended up trapped in small talk. I tried to steer the conversation to some ideas, but nothing caught. Neither one of us was able to sustain the role of the extrovert. I didn't find her physically attractive which probably hindered the flow as well.

It wasn't an unpleasant evening but I won't be calling her again. My idea of intp-intp compatibility has been undermined. Perhaps I'd hit it off with a nice entp or xnfp...

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
Yeah, one. Neither of us was interested in hanging around for more.

I do usually prefer to meet for drinks over meeting for dinner; less opportunities for awkward, more social lubrication, and multiple introvert recharging bathroom breaks.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
Some INTPs I have chemistry with. Others not so much, but only blaming type instead of analyzing the real compatibility issues will leave you a bit lacking.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
Your identical match isn't the only possibility for mutual understanding, mental and stimulating connection.

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
AS: Of course, you are correct. Having been on only one date, the primary compatibility issue I see was a lack of chemistry. Perhaps we could open up more in the future but a mediocre first date and lack of physical attraction doesn't make me enthusiastic to find out.

I'm a Fetard trying to get better at relationshiping, so I'm curious: What types of compatibility issues do you think are important?

Rebe: True. It seems like a higher probability though. I'm not caught up on having a relationship with an intp but I'll admit I was excited by the prospect.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Great. Another twit arises, claiming intp.

but only blaming type instead of analyzing the real compatibility issues will leave you a bit lacking.

Analysis? He don't need no stinking analysis!

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^I take it you didn't enjoy the date either? :p

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some INTPs I have chemistry with. Others not so much, but only blaming type instead of analyzing the real compatibility issues will leave you a bit lacking.

Pretty much.
I find two Ne-intensive INTPs get along just fine, typically, though.

It does kinda help if both people are open to verbalizing their thoughts, or one person is an initiator and the other a responder. Putting two responders together usually leaves conversation dead until an interesting topic is found.

Still, it can just be a chemistry thing. You're not going to sync up with everyone who matches your type.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like most INTPs, a lot. But I can't imagine there being much of a romantic spark there. Too incestuous.

metasapiens

MBTI Type
N>JI
Indeed INTPs are self-sufficient, we just need another INTP since we are the best prototype for the future human race :violin:

Seriously (hey but I was serious ! Geez).. INTPs get along very well, don't they ?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Go to INTPc and find out.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Strange, I'm typically a responder, but when I headed out with an INTP things started at the book store and moved to the coffee shop at the book store. The conversation ended up self sustaining for 3 hours, only being broken by staff bumping into us as they started to close up. Then again, I'm F, not T...

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
AS: Of course, you are correct. Having been on only one date, the primary compatibility issue I see was a lack of chemistry. Perhaps we could open up more in the future but a mediocre first date and lack of physical attraction doesn't make me enthusiastic to find out.

I'm a Fetard trying to get better at relationshiping, so I'm curious: What types of compatibility issues do you think are important?

Lack of chemistry is a bullshit phrase people use when they don't want to talk about it. Were you not totally into her because of her looks and she could tell? Was one of you too uptight? Did you not focus on enjoying the conversation and learning more about her? Did she have differing expectations of how you'd be in real life?

Are you actually not a very good date? I don't know, but it's a skill like any other that you can work on.

suttree

MBTI Type
intP
Lack of chemistry is a bullshit phrase people use when they don't want to talk about it. Were you not totally into her because of her looks and she could tell? Was one of you too uptight? Did you not focus on enjoying the conversation and learning more about her? Did she have differing expectations of how you'd be in real life?

Are you actually not a very good date? I don't know, but it's a skill like any other that you can work on.

A solid list of strategic date objectives. I am trying to develop that skill. I disagree that lack of chemistry is a bs excuse though, its not as if we'd be in love if I had asked one more question about her. The purpose of those objectives is to get to that flow state where y'all are going back and forth until you get kicked out still wanting more. If you can't cant get there and can't forsee getting there after several hours, a lack of chemistry is a valid conclusion.

INA, what did I say to make you think I'm a non-intp twit?