123 Last

Thread: Dreams of Power

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Dreams of Power

Who else dreams of rising to power and transforming their country and possibly even the world for the better?

I know I do, RCs are officially debarred from high office in the UK, at least the office of PM and there are not any RCs in line for the throne, although I'm not immodest, I'd like to be PM but someone else can be King.

MBTI
    ENTP

I dream of starting a revolution

No one needs to "rise to power," to make a positive contribution to the world.

your resident asshole

Is that what you NT's dream about? World domination?

I would rather have money than power.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Not since I was like 12, when I wanted to be a politician.

I just want to have power to not have anyone bossing me around, nor to have to boss anyone around. Now that's true power.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    No one needs to "rise to power," to make a positive contribution to the world.
    In order to make a large-scale contribution you generally do. Even adopting a child is ill-advised if you're completely poor and powerless.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Is that what you NT's dream about? World domination?

I would rather have money than power.
    Money is power. The only reason money even possesses any value is because it represents 'control over labor'. Without that level of value added it's nothing more than worthless paper and metal.

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

MBTI
    INTJ

I would credit more large-scale contributions to scientists that people in power. Unless you are putting no ethical/moral/helpful requirement on "contribution."

Compare TED speeches to CSPAN speeches.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I just want to lead.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I would credit more large-scale contributions to scientists that people in power. Unless you are putting no ethical/moral/helpful requirement on "contribution."
    Scientists do possess a large degree of power. The career path is highly respected, they are regarded by the public as an authoritative source of information, and are generally paid anywhere from an upper-middle class to a blatantly upper class income. Due to the above circumstances they are also able to dedicate less of their time to meeting ends meet and staying alive and more of it to performing cutting edge research. Those possessing a Phd and with a healthy reputation are allowed even more funding and freedom in their research in order to make said contributions and especially within their circle, are very influential. This is quite the financial and social backing considering the fact that intelligence and ability in itself, lends a non-too-inconsiderable degree of power. Intelligence, physical strength, and social charisma are the original measures of power that predate all else.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
    Money is power.
    Hey! I wanted to say that! :steam:
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.