12 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default INTPs and hyperliteralism

Do INTPs tend to be more literal than other N types? I've heard from various places that INTPs tend to be overly literal at times. Maybe its because they seek clarity and precision in their thoughts and ideas that it gives them that impression?

I'm kind of leaning towards INTP for my type, even though I'm a strong N overall, I have this hyperliteral trait. When reading stuff, I generally prefer that writers just say what they mean and mean what they say because its a whole lot easier to establish logical clarity that way. I tend to shy away from the really figurative and symbolic stuff. A lot of poetry is lost on me, I have trouble wrapping my head around it. Probably because I'm overanalyzing it, when its more feeling based. When I read something I want the message to be clear and with much poetry, the reader makes their own meaning out of it, which is too fuzzy for me.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP

On the contrary, my everyday language is glistening with metaphors.

MBTI
    iNTp
    Enneagram
    IDK
    Socionics
    IDK

Maybe when it comes to reading we like to come to our own conclusion instead of wat the writer is trying to say so we often miss the meanings inbetween
    love is boring without infidelity. thanks to an unknown visitor i spelt infidelity correctly now

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    On the contrary, my everyday language is glistening with metaphors.

I find it extremely tough to be literal. Everytime I try to be, it's like writing a book that has no ending. I use symbolism, metaphors, and other tricks, in order to compress my language. I like deep, thought provoking, written literature. I am good at spotting metaphors, puns, and the likes, and I thoroughly enjoy reading them. Literal literature bores me sideways.

However! Bad clichés, poor written depth, annoying puns and painful metaphors will get on my nerves from time to time.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Only when it suits our agenda

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

INTPs can be very metaphorical in terms of their Ne use. It's a type of broad inductive reasoning.

However, in terms of being precise in logic, yes, INTPs will parse statements for logic exactly as expressed. Your words matter. One small word can change the strength of the statement, and if the nuance is off, the INTP will note it as "wrong."

Also, in terms of relational intelligence, the INTP might often take words at face value rather than naturally understanding the emotional cues that are driving them. A lot of relational communication is not literal, it is an organic exchange with multiple types of cues.

For example, if your girlfriend of a few months says it's okay if you don't get her a card on her birthday, it doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't want a card on her birthday. She might be letting you off the hook from buying something because she doesn't want to control you but she also hopes to see that you care about her all on her own; so if you take it literally and not buy her a card, she'll be hurt, and actually might be expecting/hoping you'll get her something or do something anyway. INTPs get pissed about stuff like this because it comes across as a "lie" because her comment was not literally true; but it was true in the respect she wants to see an authentic display of commitment, and there are other cues that are often missed by budding INTPs to suggest she does want a card after all.

Crazy, I know.
    But either you sink or swim.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

For example, if your girlfriend of a few months says it's okay if you don't get her a card on her birthday, it doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't want a card on her birthday. She might be letting you off the hook from buying something because she doesn't want to control you but she also hopes to see that you care about her all on her own; so if you take it literally and not buy her a card, she'll be hurt, and actually might be expecting/hoping you'll get her something or do something anyway. INTPs get pissed about stuff like this because it comes across as a "lie" because her comment was not literally true; but it was true in the respect she wants to see an authentic display of commitment, and there are other cues that are often missed by budding INTPs to suggest she does want a card after all.

Crazy, I know.
    But either you sink or swim.
    In that sense, yeah, I'm literal too. I don't like being puppeteered. But that's not in the literal sense. That's only an issue in personal relations.. It's funny you use this example though. On my sisters last birthday she said she wanted money. To which I responded that I'll get her what I want to get her and whatever she says will not influence me in the slightest!

Ironically, I was the one ending up lying as well, because I gave her a monopoly game, thus I let myself be influenced by her by choosing a gift based on what she wanted to have. She downright manipulated me, grr! Luckily, she is an ESFJ and doesn't see through things like that though.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    In that sense, yeah, I'm literal too. I don't like being puppeteered.
    It is rather funny to me too, in the sense that when I was experienced enough to realize what people actually did want or what I was expected to do... I'd still feel an immediate kneejerk reaction and be tempted to give them exactly what they said they did or did not want, because I didn't like feeling forced to play their game!

Ironically, I was the one ending up lying as well, because I gave her a monopoly game, thus I let myself be influenced by her by choosing a gift based on what she wanted to have.
    it sucks being a P.

She downright manipulated me, grr! Luckily, she is an ESFJ and doesn't see through things like that though.
    heh.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    She might be letting you off the hook from buying something because she doesn't want to control you...
    Such a woman exists?

I don't believe it. She's mythical, I say, MYTHICAL!!!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    9, 5
    Socionics
    INTj

Actually I'm very interested in metaphors. I would have to guess it's the analyzing of the meaning that gets me interested. I can usually read through a person's wording enough to know what they really mean versus what words they use.
    What is normal to one, is incomprehensible to another.

ALL anger in this world stems from a lack of control.

All of reality bows to the illusion of life and death.