User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sx
    Socionics
    wtf

Metaphors are nice playthings. You can write a beatiful poem or bit of prose, or flesh out an argument... They can get you in trouble when doing serious work though - I find the mind can be limited by the metaphors chosen (particularly true in science).
    I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
    - Umberto Eco

INTP e9 (sx/so/sp)
    Ti = Ne (41.3) > Si (31.2) ~ Ni (31.1) ~ Te (30.1) > Se (24.1) >> Fe (21) & Fi (20.1)

MBTI
    intP

Some subjects demand the rigorous use of language (ie scientific debate) while some are inherently incoherent (love, etc).

Also, speaking figuratively is fun.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    INTPs can be very metaphorical in terms of their Ne use. It's a type of broad inductive reasoning.

However, in terms of being precise in logic, yes, INTPs will parse statements for logic exactly as expressed. Your words matter. One small word can change the strength of the statement, and if the nuance is off, the INTP will note it as "wrong."
    I guess now that I think of it, it isn't so much figurativeness that's the problem, but its when something is worded in a way that's ambiguous.

I use and enjoy metaphors and make up my own. Don't have a problem with them as long as I'm clear what the real underlying meaning is.

Sometimes I have trouble understanding instructions because I'll see more than one way that they can be interpreted and I'm not sure what the writer's original intention was. That's a problem.

I totally relate to parsing statements for logic. Alot of humor is based on what if I take this statement to the logical extreme.

Yes, every word matters. I used to hate writing papers because I'd be so damn perfectionistic about the wording. I have ideas that are hard to express because sometimes its hard to come up with just the right word. I don't want people to unintentionally misinterpret what I'm saying.

Also, in terms of relational intelligence, the INTP might often take words at face value rather than naturally understanding the emotional cues that are driving them. A lot of relational communication is not literal, it is an organic exchange with multiple types of cues.

For example, if your girlfriend of a few months says it's okay if you don't get her a card on her birthday, it doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't want a card on her birthday. She might be letting you off the hook from buying something because she doesn't want to control you but she also hopes to see that you care about her all on her own; so if you take it literally and not buy her a card, she'll be hurt, and actually might be expecting/hoping you'll get her something or do something anyway. INTPs get pissed about stuff like this because it comes across as a "lie" because her comment was not literally true; but it was true in the respect she wants to see an authentic display of commitment, and there are other cues that are often missed by budding INTPs to suggest she does want a card after all.

Crazy, I know.
    But either you sink or swim.
    I completely relate to that. I think I might have a mild case of Aspergers syndrome. I know that as a child, I fit just about all of the criteria for it according to the DSM manual. In relational settings, I oftentimes didn't catch on to hints or sarcasm. I expected that people would be truthful in their words and say exactly what they meant. It took me a while to grasp all these little cues and I'm still learning.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post

I find it extremely tough to be literal. Everytime I try to be, it's like writing a book that has no ending. I use symbolism, metaphors, and other tricks, in order to compress my language. I like deep, thought provoking, written literature. I am good at spotting metaphors, puns, and the likes, and I thoroughly enjoy reading them. Literal literature bores me sideways.

However! Bad clichés, poor written depth, annoying puns and painful metaphors will get on my nerves from time to time.
    ^
    This. I know people find it hard to listen or make out my meaning when I talk. I can't help it....

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

INTPs can be very metaphorical in terms of their Ne use. It's a type of broad inductive reasoning.

However, in terms of being precise in logic, yes, INTPs will parse statements for logic exactly as expressed. Your words matter. One small word can change the strength of the statement, and if the nuance is off, the INTP will note it as "wrong."

Also, in terms of relational intelligence, the INTP might often take words at face value rather than naturally understanding the emotional cues that are driving them. A lot of relational communication is not literal, it is an organic exchange with multiple types of cues.
    This and this:

Sometimes I have trouble understanding instructions because I'll see more than one way that they can be interpreted and I'm not sure what the writer's original intention was. That's a problem.

I totally relate to parsing statements for logic. Alot of humor is based on what if I take this statement to the logical extreme.

Yes, every word matters. I used to hate writing papers because I'd be so damn perfectionistic about the wording. I have ideas that are hard to express because sometimes its hard to come up with just the right word. I don't want people to unintentionally misinterpret what I'm saying.
    Normally I'll speak in metaphors, but in debates I'll do the above.
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”