User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 25

  1. #1
    Senior Member Qre:us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,909

    Thumbs up The Limits of Awesomeness (alternatively, Common ENTP Issues)

    I have no idea if these are common ENTP issues, these are common to me, and another ENTP (Aramis) with whom I had this discussion with regarding some of these issues. Feel free to share your thoughts, vehement disagreements and/or platitudes...

    1. Procrastination

    Why it happens?

    Some reasonings:

    - Because there are so many interesting things to do and see that limiting oneself to one thing of focus, makes it feel as if there's other amazing and amusing stuff I may be missing out on.

    - Needing to tip the stimulation-threshold. Biggest motivation: chaos. As such, if a situation is not inherently chaotic to begin with, it doesn't seem important enough to put in effort to tackle...just yet. So, letting it go unattended, letting the situation turn into a mountain from a molehill makes it feel like, finally, NOW it's a challenge. Let's get to work. Do or die. Can I make it? Can I? Can I? Ohhh....let's see. And, then, slipping right through the crack at the last minute, heart palpitating, adrenaline rushing, coming out the other side, triumphant. It's a high, and thus, part of an addictive cycle.

    - Leading with Ne: it gathers, and gathers and still finds more and more stuff that could be relevant, so it gathers some more. The gathering is really a process of amalgamating the BIG PICTURE. As the whole is greater than the sum of its parts - in being able to understand the whole - the parts seem negligible for understanding (as long as the BIG PICTURE has sunk in, if I zoom in on a part, Ti can easily justify why that part is included in the BIG PICTURE). And, understanding the BIG PICTURE often feels like an all or nothing thing. In that, there's no slow dawning of understanding. It just *clicks* that one time. So again, time, and slowly, methodically learning a material seems unnecessary and not worth the effort, if my mind doesn't naturally work like that in the first place.

    2. Detesting ROUTINE

    It makes me want to pull my hair out, because it feels claustrophobic and like Ne can't breathe, like it's deliberately being suffocated, chained and caged. As I said to Aramis, who agreed, "I detest that I detest routine." It's a vicious cycle.

    3. FUNK != FUN

    At the root of it, again, is motivation. I can go into bouts of funkdom, where the world just feels "bleh". This I consider the lows that Ne hits, where it seemingly hits an imaginary brick wall of its own making, and refuses to move beyond it. And, I often find myself seeing me from a 3rd perspective, an outsider watching myself, often frustrated and disgusted with my own self, and my inability to move out of the funk. I often admire and resent my friends' ability at self-discipline in this regard, forcing themselves to do it because it HAS to get done.

    However, no amount of pep-talk, self ass-kicking, can motivate me into momentum. It's hedonistic in its nature, in that it has to "WANT" (as long as it is in the realm of HAVE TO, that shit isn't moving, it has to transfer to a WANT)......otherwise, an army could try, and I wouldn't move out of the funk. Something, some way of looking at the situation has to tickle the "want" aspect of my psyche, and then, the tenacious pitbull of focus will come out to get 'er done. Until then, though...........

    4. My motto in life: E.F.F.O.R.T

    Everything that I do or are propelled into action to do, usually boils down to, "Is it worth the effort?"

    This is why, I may often find short-cuts to do something. When I was younger, I would shoot for the optimal, in that if 100% existed, it was either I make an effort because that 100% is mine, or I won't do it in the first place. However, after seeing that with effort, I can [answer found to my question of "Can I do it?"], that motivation also passed, and now it's more about figuring out the least amount of effort needed to not face any real consequences and still "make it".

    5. Life Tarries not with yesterday

    I have to make a conscious effort to self-reflect and focus on the past. While doing so, it feels quite frustrating because I get a feeling of brain-itch like it's annoying to look back, and it gets boring really, really fast, such that my concentration flies away. If a lesson is to be learned from something, I usually learn it when the magnitude of the consequence hits me, and after that, I don't really see a point of revisiting old memories as it seems like a revisionist's task, which fudges accuracy. And, at the end of the day, you can't do shit while wasting time thinking of "what could have been" [<- I find such thoughts quite annoying]. What it boils down to is, Either I did it, or I didn't, there's no "almost doing it".....move the fuck on already.

    [however, if I am in the "funk" stage, this type of past-thinking is on repeat - I find that it's my way of self-flaggelation as I'm angry at myself for my funk.]

    6. Including/considering input from others in the final decision-making process

    I am very resistant to interference into perceived problems of mine's without asking for direct input. Juvenilely, this will prompt me to do the exact opposite of what the other person suggests or ignore them completely. And, one problem area of mine's is that, I might not opt for "talking it out" when it comes to a problem between myself and another, given that the issue, as perceived by me, has already been addressed between self and the other, at least a few times beforehand, without seeing any change in them [i.e., repeat of previous times]. Then, whatever decision I make, I do not give the other a fair chance to have a say [e.g., ending a relationship] - I will have reached my decision all by myself, and execute it to completion, as by then, "input" is too late. I am very resistant to making a decision, until I feel that the moment cannot go without a decision, and once that moment is reached, everything is shut out. I'm very stubborn in my decisiveness. Appealing to my emotions will be a very hard task, at that stage.

    7. Arrogance/Annoyance

    It's a cycle.

    See this exchange for reference:

    Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Which brings up another issue: people often cannot understand our sarcastic, self-mockery, and confuse it for arrogance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    True dat.

    ETA: Actually that assumption of arrogance or conceit annoys me quite a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    YES! One character trait that really, really, really bothers the fuck out of me, is arrogance/pretentiousness. :steam:

    If ever I am arrogant, it's because I'm consciously putting on that act - usually to make a point to someone who has annoyed me for some reason that I'd likely classify under "douchebag" or "righteous ignoramous".


    8. One-upmanship/Competitiveness

    9. Fleeting/Flightiness of perceived attention/affection for others

    10. Inability to look at self from a 1st-person perspective

    11. Do you mean what you say?

    12. Apparent walking/talking contradictions

    13. Feeling limited by limits



    [more to come....]
    Last edited by Qre:us; 08-03-2010 at 11:57 PM.

  2. #2
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    2. Hilarity

    3. Ready. Fire. Aim.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Qre:us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    3. Ready. Fire. Aim.
    I see what you did there.


    It's not completely untrue.

    ***

    [I will be adding to the OP, as Aramis and myself discussed some issues that we thought could be relevant to other ENTPs, and I have that whole chat convo copied. It's now going through it, and summarizing the stuff......wait for it....]

  4. #4
    Don't pet me. JAVO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    ...Aramis and myself discussed some issues...
    This collaboration is mildly unsettling.

    Extraverted intuition. (If you've got it, that's all I need to say. )

    Conquest of an idea inadvertently leading to conquest in real life.

    Talk and action > thought (typical extravertism )

  5. #5
    ReflecTcelfeR
    Guest

    Default

    I found while I was driving that I strongly detest things ending, or arriving at a destination. It's an extreme take on the means rather than the end. It seems to cause me distress because this is the reason why I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere in life, or rather at this point in life, I'm sure something will force me to change.

  6. #6
    Alexander the Terrible yenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    procrastination
    unrealistic ambitions and overoptimism
    impulsiveness
    lack of planning
    risk taking to the point of self destructiveness
    act first think later issues
    overcombative
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

    "In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

    Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

  7. #7
    Alexander the Terrible yenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    .

    1. Procrastination

    Why it happens?

    Some reasonings:

    - Because there are so many interesting things to do and see that limiting oneself to one thing of focus, makes it feel as if there's other amazing and amusing stuff I may be missing out on.

    - Needing to tip the stimulation-threshold. Biggest motivation: chaos. As such, if a situation is not inherently chaotic to begin with, it doesn't seem important enough to put in effort to tackle...just yet. So, letting it go unattended, letting the situation turn into a mountain from a molehill makes it feel like, finally, NOW it's a challenge. Let's get to work. Do or die. Can I make it? Can I? Can I? Ohhh....let's see. And, then, slipping right through the crack at the last minute, heart palpitating, adrenaline rushing, coming out the other side, triumphant. It's a high, and thus, part of an addictive cycle.

    - Leading with Ne: it gathers, and gathers and still finds more and more stuff that could be relevant, so it gathers some more. The gathering is really a process of amalgamating the BIG PICTURE. As the whole is greater than the sum of its parts - in being able to understand the whole - the parts seem negligible for understanding (as long as the BIG PICTURE has sunk in, if I zoom in on a part, Ti can easily justify why that part is included in the BIG PICTURE). And, understanding the BIG PICTURE often feels like an all or nothing thing. In that, there's no slow dawning of understanding. It just *clicks* that one time. So again, time, and slowly, methodically learning a material seems unnecessary and not worth the effort, if my mind doesn't naturally work like that in the first place.

    The biggest issue is laziness and procrastination, but I kind of have a solution for that already.

    The other being arrogance and pushing things to the limit.
    Doing things without thinking about the consequences.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

    "In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

    Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

  8. #8
    Alexander the Terrible yenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    Si tard issues- not paying attention to details, ignoring problems unitl the last minute, being forgetful, losing stuff and forget where you put it, conflict with SJs etc. prone to forgetting things, absent mindedness

    Te tard issues-not being organized, losing things, being irresponsible, fucking with authority figures, not working hard at job, being easily distracted,
    being chaotic, not meeting deadlines, being overflexible

    Fi/Fe tard issues -raping people in arguements, insensitive to other people's suffering, inflated ego issues, selfish and only see things in self perspecitve, inability to be considerate and care about other people, being blunt and overagrressive

    J tard issues-unorganized, hates planning, acts first, plan later, being overspontaneous, laziness procrastination, being late, being impulsive, makes suicidal decisions, overreckless, etc
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

    "In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

    Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

  9. #9
    Senior Member forzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Procrastination happens when ENTP used Ni as it is an opposing function, when an ENTP thinks to do something and they know the result... well it's not shiny so they loosed interest. Not to mention that experiences are categorizes so said ENTP sees alot of experiences that have common traits, and because Ne likes to play connect the dots, the ENTP would jump into conclusions that there is nothing to learn and that experience is probably not worth doing because it will probably be boring (minor details aside).
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

  10. #10
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    You forgot: verbosity.
    I think your entire OP could be summarized thus:
    Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Needing to tip the stimulation-threshold.
    It wore me out just reading it.
    I sometimes envy the energy and self-assuredness of my extroverted kin, but I'm happy to sacrifice that for the Zen of introversion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Similar Threads

  1. [JCF] how common would it be for an ENTP to present as the archetype of ISTP?
    By Thalassa in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-31-2014, 04:52 PM
  2. The Limitation of Power
    By Mole in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-16-2013, 10:49 PM
  3. [ENTP] ENTP = the child of someone rich?
    By Cypocalypse in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 04:41 PM
  4. [ENTP] The role of argumentation in ENTPs
    By Udog in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 09-18-2009, 02:08 PM
  5. Suggestions for new fines, charges and other changes for the sake of common sense.
    By Xander in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 06:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO