12 Last

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Default XNTPs and frustration with limits

Venting:

I am feeling very frustrated at the moment. :steam:

I love what I do, work long hours in research and development and development of online learning resources as well as teaching. I am left/right brain balanced, right handed (I know - unusual in my area) and XNTP.

So what is my problem??

I have a recurrence of a right shoulder injury and have to limit my mouse work and whiteboard work. How do I find the balance between doing what I enjoy - my work and research on talent & aptitude, crocheting, reading and gardening AND making certain this thing repairs.

I had a cortisone injection yesterday into the joint and may have to have surgery to repair a tendon tear. I taught for 3 hours today but the pain was bad so my manager wants someone else to teach my two 4hr Illustrator classes tomorrow.

My greatest fear in life is boredom - I am certain there is a lesson in there somewhere!!

The college has ordered voice-to-text software so I can continue writing and I do have tenure and this is considered a work related injury BUT despite all of these good points I feel very irritable
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

You definitly need to take time to bring structure into your projects. After reading only your post, it looks like structure is a thing you could need.

My girlfriend has a similiar problem, which is maybe not the same as yours, but similiar: she wants to have things completed all at once. And because she doesnt manage her approach to completing a task, like for example learning for an exam and rather takes in all information at once or unstructured, she becomes desperate about if she can handle the projekt at all.

I took some time and sat down with her to encourage her to make a masterplan to complete a project. Now with this plan in the back of her head and a clear overview of progress on a task, it's more easy for her to relax and concentrate on the real objects.

Maybe doing a masterplan is a thing for you too. If you got health problems that hinder you from doing certain things, you should calculate a factor like that in and maybe schedule some recreation times in which you read about intresting stuff. I do that a lot for myself, lately so often that I am already lazy again .

but when you relax your shoulder, you have in time more power again to do work with it, maybe watch a movie, there are some intresting movies to come in the next months .
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Limits are SUCK.

When I was still playing football, I got an achilles heel injury, but instead of letting it heal, I kept trying to play. Most of the games I had to cut out after first half because the pain would be too much. Right up to the point of me having to quit it alltogether because of it. When I realized that I wouldn't likely be playing football ever again, things got a lot easier though.

It seems I had most problems with not wanting to wait for my body to heal, and wanted to do the things I wanted to do now without delay. But once it was definitive, and I had to quit football, it was easy for me to accept and move on to other things.

Ironic, huh..

Force yourself to give your body the time it needs to heal.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTP

To be honest, I thought XNTPs were good with limits.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

flat one but those are the best
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    You definitly need to take time to bring structure into your projects. After reading only your post, it looks like structure is a thing you could need.

My girlfriend has a similiar problem, which is maybe not the same as yours, but similiar: she wants to have things completed all at once. And because she doesnt manage her approach to completing a task, like for example learning for an exam and rather takes in all information at once or unstructured, she becomes desperate about if she can handle the projekt at all.

I took some time and sat down with her to encourage her to make a masterplan to complete a project. Now with this plan in the back of her head and a clear overview of progress on a task, it's more easy for her to relax and concentrate on the real objects.

Maybe doing a masterplan is a thing for you too. If you got health problems that hinder you from doing certain things, you should calculate a factor like that in and maybe schedule some recreation times in which you read about intresting stuff. I do that a lot for myself, lately so often that I am already lazy again .

but when you relax your shoulder, you have in time more power again to do work with it, maybe watch a movie, there are some intresting movies to come in the next months .
    Thanks for the input! Now I have vented I will take the time to evaluate.

I had a masterplan but unfortunately the shoulder didn't come into it.

I am however a natural optimist - the glass half full type - so will need to reevaluate and see what lessons can be learned. One of those I suspect is to slow down. The new software will give me a chance to be productive even with this hiccup.

You are right tho - I am impatient and I want everything done NOW! LOL I have however discovered that even in adversity there is always a blessing. I will dust myself off and replan I think and may start a blog when the software arrives.

I am going to miss the immediacy of creating all of the visuals for my projects to give them a sense of the spatial that my more visual learners use - unless I can find a way to create vector images etc by voice.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Limits are SUCK.

When I was still playing football, I got an achilles heel injury, but instead of letting it heal, I kept trying to play. Most of the games I had to cut out after first half because the pain would be too much. Right up to the point of me having to quit it alltogether because of it. When I realized that I wouldn't likely be playing football ever again, things got a lot easier though.

It seems I had most problems with not wanting to wait for my body to heal, and wanted to do the things I wanted to do now without delay. But once it was definitive, and I had to quit football, it was easy for me to accept and move on to other things.

Ironic, huh..

Force yourself to give your body the time it needs to heal.
    Thanks for sharing your story!

That is ironic - and have you found new passions?

Last time life slipped me a few curve balls I had to change direction too I am hoping that this time I won't need to as I really love what I do.
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nescio View Post
    To be honest, I thought XNTPs were good with limits.
    I think the "nothing is impossible" we try to apply to ourselves is always forgetting that we are flesh and blood and that the will does not necessarily match the body's limitations.
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    flat one but those are the best
    I don't quite understand what this means???
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    I don't quite understand what this means???
    Nescio's joke. Entropie approved of it.

And you all know how good a joke is when Entropie approves.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf