• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Things that can hinder INTP's from being liked

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The ISTJ's I know don't want to spend 14 cents for anything. If 14 cents is in their "budget", then the lawn will look great and they'll be very proud of it. But, if the 14 cents they planned on using in the "lawn care" category suddenly becomes 19 cents, they get very, very grumpy. And the lawn might start to turn yellow.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I suppose INTP's are masochistic. Though ironically enough I think it's to find an imperfection, that they don't REALLY believe exists.

Last edited:

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I suppose INTP's are masochistic. Though ironically enough I think it's to find an inperfection, that they don't REALLY believe exists.

It's spelled imperf...............oh, nevermind. But, sometimes, you see, the "imperfections" really do exist. Sorry, I had to do it simply for the irony.

The older I get, the more I learn to let the small stuff go. But, it's hard to let things go if they're flat out wrong and they're just staring you in the face going: :harhar:

How do you mean that INTP's are masochistic though? Do you mean that by being finicky, we only end up hurting ourselves and/or pushing others away from us?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Coriolis wrote, "I really am willing to talk to almost anyone, provided they are willing to leave small talk behind, and quickly."
I as a NF also have a predisposition in this direction. I am warm, personal and engaging in social or a professional setting, provided there is a common interest as well mission statement. If this not the occurrence then i find small talk abhorrent. I literally "Want to run to the hills," when meeting someone who wishes talking with incidentals. "What is the point?" I know, it is to establish plus reinforce social bonds so that the species acts in a group effort. It's only i am introverted and prefer to pursue my own creative and goal oriented activities. this versus small talk.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

It's spelled imperf...............oh, nevermind. But, sometimes, you see, the "imperfections" really do exist. Sorry, I had to do it simply for the irony.

The older I get, the more I learn to let the small stuff go. But, it's hard to let things go if they're flat out wrong and they're just staring you in the face going: :harhar:

How do you mean that INTP's are masochistic though? Do you mean that by being finicky, we only end up hurting ourselves and/or pushing others away from us?

I wondered if it was spelled with an 'm' instead of an 'n' I just didn't feel like looking it up. I changed it. I mean INTP's enjoy pointing out flaws in themselves as either a means to fit in, or too have an excuse for why they are the way the are, giving themselves a certain validation, which to them makes them appear normal. There is something comforting about having an external locus of control. I suppose this also comes with a secret inferiority complex, so I may be projecting.

lets eat pie

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w6
I wondered if it was spelled with an 'm' instead of an 'n' I just didn't feel like looking it up. I changed it. I mean INTP's enjoy pointing out flaws in themselves as either a means to fit in, or too have an excuse for why they are the way the are, giving themselves a certain validation, which to them makes them appear normal. There is something comforting about having an external locus of control. I suppose this also comes with a secret inferiority complex, so I may be projecting.

I don't quite see how seeing one's own flaws would make one masochistic. Many people try their best to avoid seeing their shortcomings to do exactly what I highlighted in bold text.

Though I do see how you can perceive masochism in someone trying to smother out their flaws. Like picking at a scab. So I suppose all perfectionists masochists? :cheese:

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I don't quite see how seeing one's own flaws would make one masochistic. Many people try their best to avoid seeing their shortcomings to do exactly what I highlighted in bold text.

Though I do see how you can perceive masochism in someone trying to smother out their flaws. Like picking at a scab. So I suppose all perfectionists masochists? :cheese:

Pointing out flaws isn't masochistic, but enjoying pointing out flaws in yourself I believe is in a way.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People are jealous of my awesomeness. *shines brightly while taking a heroic stance*

KilgoreTrout

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The phrase "I don't understand" is what gets me in the most trouble! I don't read into subtext well, especially when it is being used to illicit an emotional response.

I make my best friend tell me what kind of reaction she is looking for before I start speaking. Although, I do not see this as my problem...I think everyone should state plainly what they are thinking or feeling. I am not a fan of all that fancy double talk :huh:

Elemental Chaos

MBTI Type
eNXP
Enneagram
7+4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I suppose INTP's are masochistic. Though ironically enough I think it's to find an imperfection, that they don't REALLY believe exists.

I think the problem adressed as masochistic is when someone says "I do this and I do that and there is no solution and I'm doomed to be miserable". Asking for help on the other hand, is rather a good thing. Finding a flaw and working on it implies you're willing to try to improve yourself. Actually making a post stating something like "In the name of personal development, lets collect all our issues and start solving them" conveys good spirit imo.:cheers:

Ps. playing the devil's advocate is something I would expect (and have seen) in all XNXXs. N is supposed to be about making your own conclusions and when a conversation is one dimensional something starts to itch in me as well.

About this: Sometimes admitting a flaw can be a great way to let people know that unconventional (negative) social behaviour is not to be taken personal. This is something I think every ENFP needs to do on more or less routine. I can't honestly tell if I feel some kind of inferiority complex when I say "I'm a classic fool, unpredictable, independent and not advisable to be put in charge of something very important" I mean, it's true and all the laughs others have given me about it have been enough to make me accept it while still working on it. It's the same thing with the sensotard threads, they point out quite hilarious examples of sensotardiousness as compared to the general population but are in no way self-pitying. In the same way, the cynism and misanthropy of NTs can be really amusing when expressed with sense in a non-harmful way.

I think it's only something very fundamental in humans that you will percieve the ways and capabilities of the majority as normative. It doesn't mean you have to put a value in things being normative however. I for one am very happy people come in different flavours.

the killer potatoe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I find we are often mentally sadistic in that we don't have to lie to hurt people, we just point out the ugly truths and the blunt reallity. I think the reasons people don't like us can be explained on a type by type basis. For example, E's don't like us because we aren't into the whole "socializing" thing, F's don't like us for our lack of "heart", S's think we fantasize too much, and J's don't like our lathargic nature. Really the point here is we are unliked primarily because we don't want too be liked or are so used to being unliked that we get uncomfortable being liked. We push away our opposites usually more than they do us, e.g. we don't like E's because they seem fake to us when they get force themselves to get along with eachother, S's because they have no imagination or need for it, F's because their emotional reaction to everything seems overly dramatic, and J's because they can't get over schedule problems the way we can and that they seem too rigid for us. Just one of those reasons can toss some of us out of the picture for some people, but usually it's when those reasons start t mix together that we are really centriffically thrown from the revolving circle that is Society.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find we are often mentally sadistic in that we don't have to lie to hurt people, we just point out the ugly truths and the blunt reallity.
Sadism schmadism. It's called moral courage and intellectual integrity. (You gotta learn to spin, bro!)

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I hoped this thread wouldn't die :devil: I'm not done beating myself up even though it isn't my fault. :)

INTP 101: The truth is always beautiful no matter how ugly it seems.

the killer potatoe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'd say another thing to throw in there would be our talking out of our asses.

Ms. fay, good point.

Last edited: