User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    No. No.
    I was just jerking his chain. I'm not looking to get into a pissing contest. I'm still tuckered out from participating in (starting ) this thread in the first place.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    This thread is one of the things that hinder me from liking INTPs.
    Hey, at least you answered the question from my OP!! What are some of the things that cause people to dislike us! Now we're back on topic!! Thanks for this.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Yes. You and Q are better than INTP's? Is it something like that?
    Nah... we just prefer to save the a-hole parts of our personalities for the times when we aren't going to get in trouble for it

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Hey, at least you answered the question from my OP!! What are some of the things that cause people to dislike us! Now we're back on topic!! Thanks for this.
    In your original example, I wouldn't even call that playing devil's advocate.

What we can do is sometimes find meaning in others' minutia, because we can't imagine why someone would bother telling us about something if they didn't feel strongly about it or care about in some way. Then, they get surprised we're taking it so seriously, because it's clearly a social exercise and an appeal for some kind of empathy. Seems like that's what happened above.

Other than that...general misanthropy, being odd, and social oddities are probably number one.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Other than that... being odd...probably number one.
    Speak for yourself.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Never said I wasn't odd

I know I am. I just don't worry about it and it doesn't cause me too much stress, unlike a lot of the others.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Here's the problem - we don't instigate. Q and I definitely do have jerk modes, but it's usually in response to someone being a jerk for no reason whatsoever. If you're nice and considerate of others, we'll act the same in kind. If you're abrasive and self-centered, well, we'll make sure you leave unhappier than you came in.

See the difference?
    probably most people don't care how you act. noting the absurdity of your behaviour isn't the same as your behaviour affecting them.

newayz I'm going to bed. nite.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

You don't have to be an INTP to be disliked, or to be disliked for the type of interaction INTPness mentioned. I have already confessed to having similar reactions, and I am INTJ. At the risk of gratuitously broadening the scope of the topic, I would say I can also come on too strong when offering my own opinion of something. I get excited that someone even wants to discuss something I find interesting, and I unleash a fully-formed analysis, supported with facts and reasoning. This is not always received well. On the other hand, those few who appreciate it and respond in kind or provide rational critique become my friends for life.

Back to the OP: one thing that I find hard to take about a close INTP friend is that he often seems unable or unwilling to render a coherent, considered opinion about anything. He will maintain he doesn't have enough information, can see all sides, etc. etc. etc. This can be very frustrating. I do not expect him to have some grand solution to the problem, just some notion of where he stands based upon available information and current understanding. Can any of you INTPs relate, or is he atypical in this?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Back to the OP: one thing that I find hard to take about a close INTP friend is that he often seems unable or unwilling to render a coherent, considered opinion about anything. He will maintain he doesn't have enough information, can see all sides, etc. etc. etc. This can be very frustrating. I do not expect him to have some grand solution to the problem, just some notion of where he stands based upon available information and current understanding. Can any of you INTPs relate, or is he atypical in this?
    Maybe I should let the card carrying INTPs answer this but here´s how it works for me:

1. become aware of an issue/problem, etc.
    2. gather information
    3. analyze pros and cons
    4. repeat steps 2 and 3 until blue in the head
    5. take a deep breath, start leaning towards one position but see the weaknesses of that position and the strengths of the alternative
    6. grudgingly accept that messy uncertainty is a part of life and resolve not to spemd anymore time on the issue
    7. repeat step 4
    It´s a P thing I guess.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    You don't have to be an INTP to be disliked, or to be disliked for the type of interaction INTPness mentioned. I have already confessed to having similar reactions, and I am INTJ. At the risk of gratuitously broadening the scope of the topic, I would say I can also come on too strong when offering my own opinion of something. I get excited that someone even wants to discuss something I find interesting, and I unleash a fully-formed analysis, supported with facts and reasoning. This is not always received well. On the other hand, those few who appreciate it and respond in kind or provide rational critique become my friends for life.
    Yeah, I can relate to this. I come on strongly and people are like, "Whoa, this guy is passionate/excited! Take her down a notch horsy!"

I can relate. I won't speak for all INTP's, but as for myself, I think I do this. It's just natural to me to not be "dogmatic". I'm not defending my position here or anything, but just so you can see how the INTP's might see things, I think that people jump to conclusions WAY too often and WAY too early. Even simple stuff like, "Jon sometimes slacks off at work. And since he's 15 minutes late getting back to the office today, it must mean that he's slacking off again!" My boss does stuff like this all the time. It's just so presumptuous. I'm very careful not to make "all or nothing" statements like that - about anything. How the heck do I know if the guy is slacking off today? Maybe he had a huge workload. Maybe he got held up in traffic. Maybe he got in a car accident. Maybe you should call him and simply ask him why he's late before trying to "guess" why he is late. I'm just not going to take a definite stance if there is still A LOT of information out there that hasn't been considered yet. 9 times out of 10 when I do take a premature stance, I end up being wrong and kind of look like an idiot. Maybe that's cuz I don't have Ni to the extent you do. Maybe Ni gives you good "hunches". Even so, I don't like to go on "hunches".

But yeah, I definitely see where that can be frustrating for others!! People will ask me, "what are you doing next Thursday?" "I really have no idea yet. It will depend on how things play out on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Once all of those variables take shape, then when I wake up on Thursday morning I'll have a more clear view of what my priorities should be for that particular day. If I give you an answer a week ahead of time, then I'm "locked in" and there's no wiggle room. If something new comes up (which it often does), then it becomes an issue when I want to rearrange my schedule to fit the new situation. For the INTP, I think it's a subconcious thing where we "let things unfold" or see how things play out - and then we will react accordingly.