User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Reconsidering a few things from earlier in this thread, I think there's aspects of things I didn't think about. It's true people can be too self-involved in the way they converse, that's not everything. The fact is, often with topics I am unfamiliar with or lack a reference point for, I don't feel qualified to talk. As a result, when dealing with those topics, I imagine a lot of INTPs may have one of two possible reactions:

A) Complete inability to actually contribute to the topic, making them poor conversational partners (and possibly even self-conscious)

or

B) Probe for context, logic or motivations in order to form a better picture that one can feel comfortable drawing conclusions and having opinions about. Often this can end up being an indelicate process, but is almost never intentionally cruel.

Of course, a similar mentality of hesitancy to commit to things until you've given due consideration can work against me/possibly us. When we talk about something I have thought about, it's usually something I've put a decent amount of thought into and feel comfortable expressing my opinion, because I feel it's a well-supported one. Result:

A) May (not always) seem dismissive with their points or too willing and forward with your own counterpoints (especially if it's a point you've considered before or doesn't make much sense to you through your Ti-colored glasses). Again, this can be callous, but malice is seldom intended.

B) Their points may be solid and really affect you, but generally not immediately. Often, if I hear something that makes me reconsider my position, I look at it for a while before accepting it. Sometimes this can take a while, and certainly longer than allows for healthy, normal flow of conversation. Generally, I think INTPs are ready to admit they were wrong or change their opinions (which is a good thing, I think many people are less amenable to this and overly dogmatic people can be hard to deal with), but it usually takes a while to restructure their thoughts. Or at least mine.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Not using apostrophes correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Reconsidering a few things from earlier in this thread, I think there's aspects of things I didn't think about. It's true people can be too self-involved in the way they converse, that's not everything. The fact is, often with topics I am unfamiliar with or lack a reference point for, I don't feel qualified to talk. As a result, when dealing with those topics, I imagine a lot of INTPs may have one of two possible reactions:

A) Complete inability to actually contribute to the topic, making them poor conversational partners (and possibly even self-conscious)

or

B) Probe for context, logic or motivations in order to form a better picture that one can feel comfortable drawing conclusions and having opinions about. Often, this can end up being an indelicate process, but is almost never intentionally cruel.
    Yes. B can often come across as an interrogation if the questioner is not careful. I have done this when I run into someone who knows about something I find interesting but have limited background in. It is especially touchy if the other person does not realize when I have understood him, and persists in belaboring the details of point X when I am ready for him to move onto Y already.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

one of my brothers is an INTP. brilliant kid, but he's a music nerd and he hates certain genres and songs with a vengeance. he informs me daily how bad my music is and insists we listen to his in the house. if i try to strike up an argument about why his music is really not that different than mine, he just argues that his is "better".

generally i love you NTs

but i want to stab him.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    But yeah, I definitely see where that can be frustrating for others!! People will ask me, "what are you doing next Thursday?" "I really have no idea yet. It will depend on how things play out on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Once all of those variables take shape, then when I wake up on Thursday morning I'll have a more clear view of what my priorities should be for that particular day. If I give you an answer a week ahead of time, then I'm "locked in" and there's no wiggle room. If something new comes up (which it often does), then it becomes an issue when I want to rearrange my schedule to fit the new situation. For the INTP, I think it's a subconcious thing where we "let things unfold" or see how things play out - and then we will react accordingly.
    Reminds me of something Garbo once said when she was invited to a dinner party: "How do I know I'll be hungry on Wednesday?"

That's also how I feel. Most of my friends are P's also and when we go out it takes us forever to set a date, relative time (if we say 12 o clock we really mean 2 o clock,) and even where we want to go/do in the first place. I mentioned P/J differences to them once and we realized we needed to make more J friends.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Why would someone choose a dead lawn over 5$ a month?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by A Schnitzel View Post
    Not using apostrophes correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    Product of the concrete jungle.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    2 reasons I can think of:

1. You don't give a hoot how your lawn looks.
    2. You're ISTJ.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    2 reasons I can think of:

1. You don't give a hoot how your lawn looks.
    2. You're ISTJ.
    I don't recognize this brand of ISTJ. My ISTJ father would vacuum his lawn if he could.

A lot of them take real pride in how their house looks "just so".